Author Topic: Maytag Front Load Washing Machine Help  (Read 306 times)

chips and more

Maytag Front Load Washing Machine Help
« on: July 10, 2019, 06:46:28 PM »
Anybody know how to reset a Maytag MHW6000XW1 washing machine? Was showing codes F06 & E01 so I changed the MCU and it works now. But now shows 888 for an error code. Or, is this not an error code, but is a normal good thing? Thanks in advanceÖDave

4GSR

Re: Maytag Front Load Washing Machine Help
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:17:23 PM »
Time to get another washer!!! ???

Not sure what the 888 code is.  Have you cleaned out the water pump? or replace it? I know that's not it, just throw it out there as a WAG.  I don't recall our's ever showing that code.  May try to reset the washer by unplugging it let set for 5 minutes and try again.  I don't remember if it was the washer or the dryer, we had to put it in the shop and they re-soldered a bunch of the wires on the control board to get it to quit showing some of the codes.  Sorry I can't help much more that that.

Have you tried one of the repair parts services out on the web, they usually have a pretty good source of information on trouble shooting and what to suggest to repair/replace first.

ScrapMetal

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
I found this on the web FWIW:

888 means the PC board is shorted and the display driver that shows what supposed to be a display is not working,I would take the PC board out of the machine,look for water corrosion,it will be like a white puffy kind of stuff,if you see that,you have water damage from some other part inside.Try electrical cleaner but you would probably need a new PC board at that point.Look at all the boards while you are inside the machine.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/280793/After+repairs+display+reads+888,+what+does+this+mean

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:33:03 PM »
I've got a Maytag Neptune MHW5500 which is slightly different and just had trouble with a couple nights ago, but learned a lot about the machine. The error codes for the 5500 are different from the 6000, so there would be no similarities there. Like Ken said, a reset requires unplugging the unit for several minutes. I had to reset mine and three minutes was not enough, but ten minutes did the trick.

I did learn that one of the common problems with front load washers (other than leaks) is excess suds build up when washing towels. The work around is easy, too. People tend to use the same amount of detergent with their towels as they do with their other laundry, which is not necessary simply because they do not get nearly as dirty as blue jeans or work shirts, for example. Towels and bed linens typically only need a very small amount of detergent to get them clean. You can also get by with a quick wash cycle on those items most of the time, saving time, detergent, and water.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:36:14 PM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

4GSR

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »
The biggest we had with our front loading Maytag was with the pump and the trap that catches stuff to prevent damage to the pump.  They don't make it easy to get to this.  It's a major ordeal, well not that big, to pull the cover off the bottom to access the pump.  Our new W/D is a SG, which are pretty much built the same.  They have a access cover that you open to get to the trap on the water pump. 

woodchucker

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 10:40:34 AM »
Ken, SG?

I avoid the front loaders. I saw many people having mold problems, because the door swings open, they close them so they have room to walk around,  and that leads to mold.

In a laundry mat, the machines are kept open, and that's great, it allows the machines to dry out and not mold.

I have a top loader. Maytag, made in the USA.. that's not an advantage, the idiots closed the back of the machine on the dryer with the wires crimped by the metal on the back.. so the assembly guy missed it, the QC guy missed it, and the packer missed it. WTF.

Anyway, we can leave the top open on the washer to dry out, and in our little place, that's important, since there's no room to move if the door is open.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

chips and more

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »
Weeeeell, the 888 could be a good thing? Ron has found an internet quote that says itís a bad thing? I found two other internet places that say itís a good thing and means it has no errors to mess with.
At first, it did have the errors F6 E1. And I found the MCU board to have two fried ICís. And I found 2 handfuls of change in the trap LOL! I bought a MCU (208 bucks!) and crossed my fingers. Replaced the MCU and it started to work again. But still displayed the same error codes? I tried the unplug trick, but no go, still showed the error codes. Then, when I was in the diagnostic mode, I pushed a few more buttons (wish I knew which ones now, LOL). And all of a sudden, the errors went away and it now shows 888. At first, I thought I melted it! Not sure now? Even tried to call Maytag for help, what a joke! Did find one Youtube that showed the same 8ís and said it was normal. And I found a thread that kinda said it was normal. And Ron found (thank you) the info that said it was bad. The washer is working now, so Iím going to wait and see. And will try and find someone in the know and get back to you all. Thanks for the help!...Dave

chips and more

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »
Ken, SG?

I avoid the front loaders. I saw many people having mold problems, because the door swings open, they close them so they have room to walk around,  and that leads to mold.

In a laundry mat, the machines are kept open, and that's great, it allows the machines to dry out and not mold.

I have a top loader. Maytag, made in the USA.. that's not an advantage, the idiots closed the back of the machine on the dryer with the wires crimped by the metal on the back.. so the assembly guy missed it, the QC guy missed it, and the packer missed it. WTF.

Anyway, we can leave the top open on the washer to dry out, and in our little place, that's important, since there's no room to move if the door is open.
Yeah, I had to change that big doughnut shaped seal about a year ago. Like you say, the door stays open now, when not in use!

f350ca

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »
People have been washing clothes since clothes became fashionable. Lets face it you can do it on a rock in a creek. WHY does a washing machine have to have a more computing power than Nasa had when they first went to space?
Its neat that they can show error codes to tell you the problem, BUT if they didn't put a computer in it there wouldn't be anything go wrong to give an error code for.

Greg

woodchucker

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 12:17:35 PM »
true, but it's all an attempt to use less resources. 
But I still wonder if we are trading one resource for another.

It has to take something to make the chips and other electronics. Does that outweigh what we are saving?

Robbing Peter to Pay Paul
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »
This is the reason I snarl when I hear the electric company go on and on about ways to save energy. Reduce our bill. Save hydro, save the planet... No.... My hydro bill doesn't go down at all.... There's no conceivable way to use less hydro. And frankly, changing to energy star appliances and cfl/led light bulbs did not reduce energy consumption all that much. 500 watts saved. Max. Woo hoo. I saved $5 a year in hydro, only for them to raise my bill $300 a year...
And use less hydro? That's only so they can sell it to someone else for more money... Pffff

But yes... There comes a point when the bells and whistles are a bit much. My mother in-laws washer sings a song when it's done. It's irritating as crap (the laundry room is on the main floor). Mine goes *beep*! And it's done...
Mind... I had to get a new pair because my old one fell apart because they manufactured it with products they KNEW degrade in acidic conditions... Don't tell me there aren't engineered fail points in products. Otherwise, how do you perpetuate sales?
Sears, anyone? Or any of the other manufacturers that went belly up because they spent 60 years producing products that DONT fall apart? It's sad, really. Make a solid dependable product, and you go bankrupt because there's 15 other chinamen willing to make it for pennies on the dollar...

Ya, a bit ranty...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 09:14:12 PM »
I have found the needed info. For my washing machine ďMaytag MHW6000XW1Ē the displayed ď888Ē is a good thing! And explains why unplugging the machine did nothing to erase the error codes.  Got this from the Maytag tech sheet (pic). Sorry, I cannot explain the other possibly misleading info that can be read on the net. The wife is happy now, Iím done with it!