Author Topic: Making money  (Read 449 times)

Bill Gruby

Making money
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:52:46 AM »
 All of you have a way to get extra cash. Shawn asked about this and got some good answers. There have to be more.

I forgot to mention the way I got into model engine repair. I was at a model meet a few years ago and was amazed when I saw a guy crash an expensive one and just trashed it engine and all. I pulled the nose out of the trash and asked the guy how much a new engine would cost. He said around $500.00, Yikes!!! I took it home and tore it down only to find a bent connecting rod. Made a new one and started the engine, took about three days total. I took the engine back to the field and the guy was there. I asked if he had bought a new engine yet, he replied no the wife wouldn't let him. I showed him the rebuilt one and he had a test stand with him. He mounted it, gassed it up and two flips of the prop it came to life. He aske how much and paid me $100.00 for the repair. I've  been doing it ever since.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

chips and more

Re: Making money
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:09:22 AM »
Yes, I think there is enough talent on this site for each to find a money making niche.

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »
All of you have a way to get extra cash. Shawn asked about this and got some good answers. There have to be more.

I forgot to mention the way I got into model engine repair. I was at a model meet a few years ago and was amazed when I saw a guy crash an expensive one and just trashed it engine and all. I pulled the nose out of the trash and asked the guy how much a new engine would cost. He said around $500.00, Yikes!!! I took it home and tore it down only to find a bent connecting rod. Made a new one and started the engine, took about three days total. I took the engine back to the field and the guy was there. I asked if he had bought a new engine yet, he replied no the wife wouldn't let him. I showed him the rebuilt one and he had a test stand with him. He mounted it, gassed it up and two flips of the prop it came to life. He aske how much and paid me $100.00 for the repair. I've  been doing it ever since.

"Billy G"

Just a connecting rod? I had ordered parts when I was doing powered C/L , I would never think of throwing out an engine without looking at it.
He must not have had the knowledge needed.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »
That's the difference between buying something and making it yourself. The guy who bought it doesn't have the same respect as the guy who built it and is willing to push the limits a bit further, perhaps. Resulting in a crash.

The other thing I was going to say was, isn't capitalism fantastic...? That we all have to find extra ventures to make more money and work away our lives.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
 I do not do this for work, nor do I need the money. I do it  to help others and have fun. I retired at 48 years old and never worked again.

"Billy G"

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Carpenter84

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
48?!
Lucky bugger...

I classify myself in a category with a few other guys I know... I often joke about it, even tho Iím sure itís not very good. I say that I will die on my feet. I love what I do and canít imagine ever retiring. I get too bored not having something to do. But I have a good balance of work, other work, and hobby (for the sake of this discussion, I am omitting family).
The others I put into this category are also tradesmen. My old boss is so busy and stressed that heís gonna work himself to a heart attack. But I truly believe he likes what he does, and wouldnít know what to do with himself if he stopped... well, heíd move somewhere with year round snow and just go sledding all the time.
But, my job is not too demanding, I love building, creating. That goes for my hobbies too. The money is just there so I can survive and buy more stuff that helps me enjoy what I do.
My true hope in life is that I never become unable to do what I do. Once that time has come, I will be finished. Iím sure Iíll have decided I had a good run and my time is over. Thatís why my heart broke reading through Markís health decline... that said, life, and desires obviously have a way of changing and people adapt in order to stick around a bit longer... I suppose itís a double edged sword...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 04:44:55 PM »
 My Dad used to say, "Work is what you do for fun, the Job is how you pay for it."

"Billy G"

woodchucker

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »
I do not do this for work, nor do I need the money. I do it  to help others and have fun. I retired at 48 years old and never worked again.

"Billy G"

Bill, was that a forced retirement because the plant closed? Or were you one of the lucky guys. I had a friend that worked until his early 40's, Ford was replacing the Burroughs computer system that he used (I think punch card) and they offered him early retirement rather than retraining. He used his hobby and started making model airplane parts, videos, etc.. He has always enjoyed what he did since.

To me, when your hobby becomes your living, it's no longer a hobby, and loses its fun. But that's me.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

Bill Gruby

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »
 Yes, the GM plant here  in Bristol closed and yes I was one of the lucky ones. I started with GM when I was 18 years old. All my military time counted toward my retirement. I had 30 years in 1995, GM closed the plant in 1995. I got full retirement from them, SSI and a government disability all at the same time. The government pension stopped my working career. It doesn't get any better for a working man. LOL

"Billy G"

savarin

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »
To me, when your hobby becomes your living, it's no longer a hobby, and loses its fun. But that's me.
I 100% agree with that statement. I used to do a fair bit of silversmithing and gem cutting.
One xmas I took way too many orders and had to work very hard to fulfill them.
It took all the enjoyment out of it and I've done none since.
Still have all the gear and some stones on dop sticks half cut but cant get the impetus to start again.

chips and more

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »
I 100% agree with that statement. I used to do a fair bit of silversmithing and gem cutting.
One xmas I took way too many orders and had to work very hard to fulfill them.
It took all the enjoyment out of it and I've done none since.
Still have all the gear and some stones on dop sticks half cut but cant get the impetus to start again.
I also 100% agree. Had a real 40hr/wk job. Started to help people out with a side thing. Within a year the word got around and I was doing the 40hr/wk and another 40hr/wk for helping people out. I wasnít having any more fun. The money was good. But money canít buy happiness. Well, maybe it can if you got enough of it!!!

Bill Gruby

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 12:52:51 PM »
 Sorry fellas, this thread went the wrong way. I wasn't talking about making a living, was just asking how you make the few dollars you need for that extra tool.

"Billy G"

woodchucker

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 12:57:04 PM »
Sorry fellas, this thread went the wrong way. I wasn't talking about making a living, was just asking how you make the few dollars you need for that extra tool.

"Billy G"

Yea, I  know, but don't we always go sideways around here. ?  :P
Jeff

Carpenter84

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 01:07:08 PM »
Hey, if you're not going forward, sideways, or spinning round and round, youre only going backwards.

Me, I'm hoping the shop will replace the renovation side work for the extra few bucks. And I've gotten some great advice here to create that revenue when the shop is ready.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »
Sideways? Spinning around? Forward? Backward? What the hell is going on in the Hobby Shop today? Are we trying to dance? Because, if we are, I canít danceÖLOL. And I sold my tutu to buy a screw driver!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:40:24 PM by chips and more »