Author Topic: Would this motor be strong enough to power my 9x20 lathe?  (Read 202 times)

savarin

Would this motor be strong enough to power my 9x20 lathe?
« on: June 14, 2019, 03:34:14 AM »
 Would this motor be strong enough to power my 9x20 lathe?

36VDC, 500W, 18.3A, 2500 rpm 
The spindle is only around 9/16” dia so not very beefy and I would have to make a decent pulley but at that speed it would have to be very small to get a reasonable reduction which would also mean a greater chance of belt slippage.
If I use the original speed controller from an E-bike would the low speed still have sufficient torque for the lathe.

I would also need to add a cooling fan.

Why do I want to use it? 
Because its been sitting on the shelf brand new for 6 years when I was going to use it for an E-bike.
I have been considering getting a 1hp 3 phase motor and vfd but this would be a far cheaper method if its strong enough and can run long enough without overheating.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
Re: Would this motor be strong enough to power my 9x20 lathe?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 05:27:26 AM »
500W works out to about 2/3 HP.  I have a 3/4 HP motor on my ten inch, and it is usually more than sufficient. Keeping in mind that you will not have full power available at anything less than full speed, I have a hunch that you might find it a bit too small.

Is it worth a try?  Probably. The worst that can happen is that you find that it is not up to the task and you have to fit something else to the lathe.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 05:50:31 AM »
From playing around with an e-bike in the past, I found the controller to be frustrating to say the least. And it WAS an e-bike. I wasn’t trying to make anything do anything it wasn’t supposed to.

Also, from my extensive experience over the looooong struggle with dc motors on my lathe, I’m inclined to go 1hp 3ph.
However, that’s my experience. I either expect too much from my 10” lathe, or, the motors I’ve been using (used) have all been weak for one reason or another. I still don’t feel I have enough power. I have a 1.5hp 3ph motor standing in the sidelines just waiting for the time the coach says “GET IN THERRRRRE”...

Me thinks that 36v motor is a tad small. But like Terry said, give it a shot. The worst you’ve got to lose is the time spent. (And if it were me, I’d likely already be elbow deep in the transplant, everyone knows Im far too impatient and impulsive to wait for suggestions... lol)
Good luck!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 07:36:51 AM »
 Too small Charles, it hasn't the backbone or stamina. What are you going to use for a DC power supply?

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

savarin

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:11:59 AM »
had a feeling it would be Bill but thought it better to ask the cognoscenti.
The toroidal transformers I used for 24VDC on the mirror grinding machine also look to be way too expensive.
Have to look out for a 3phase and vfd.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:14:24 AM »
 What about Microwave oven transformers??

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

4GSR

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 10:15:51 AM »
I'm running a 1/2 HP 90 volt DC PM motor on my 9" SBL.  Haven't stalled it out yet.  Had a 1/4 HP on it, same type of motor, always having issues with it stalling out when threading anything 10 t.p.i. or coarser.  No problem now.  If I do have issues, still have a 3/4 HP DC PM motor  in reserve. 
Ken

chips and more

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »
So here we go, nobody’s agreeing again…LOL. Charles, I have many mirco machines. They are all DC motor driven and are about 1/8HP -1/2HP in range. I get an amazing amount of torque. I don’t see a problem with your project. BUT, I also do not know the motor, controller and whatever else you plan to use? I have Bodine motors and controllers. My only complaint is that I get growling at low RPM’s. And that noise telegraphs into the work and can spoil the finish. Soooo, if I was to buy another motor. And because of the growling and not the lack of torque. I think I would try one of those servo brushless motors. Not VFD -3PH but a servo brushless motor…Dave

And darn cheap too. Around 100 bucks for a 600 watter.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:07:24 PM by chips and more »

savarin

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 08:13:46 PM »
Did you mean the 3 phase and vfd growl at low speed?
My main reason for wanting the change is the motor vibration that appears to produce harmonic marks at all speeds if making a very fine cut.

savarin

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 08:48:31 PM »
My microwave transformer was used for this sort of work Bill.
Lots of deaths from idiots trying playing with it so I had to have a go.

chips and more

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »
Did you mean the 3 phase and vfd growl at low speed?
My main reason for wanting the change is the motor vibration that appears to produce harmonic marks at all speeds if making a very fine cut.

No, I was talking about the growl from the DC motors I have.

savarin

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 06:16:54 AM »
To make my Lichtenberg generator safer I built it into the oven the transformer came from.
all the power leads are inside, its lined with ply wood, the metal framework is earthed, there is an exhaust fan to remove the smoke.
The door has to be closed before the power switch is enabled and it has to be held down to operate.
Its good fun and is very random in the patterns it burns.
All the people who have died from these used open transformers or grabbed the bare contacts or wet wood.