Author Topic: Possible Noga substitute?  (Read 122 times)

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
Possible Noga substitute?
« on: June 29, 2019, 12:28:21 PM »

I have heard of the legendary sturdiness of Noga instrument holders and have long thought that they were hyped up simply because of their cost. I have changed my mind on that, but I now think that they are far too expensive, and I shall explain why. Please bear with me...

As most of you are aware, I recently took a vacation to Colorado and Utah. Two days of off roading in rented Jeeps were arranged for in each of two different locations, Moab Utah, and Ouray Colorado. The type of wheeling done in each location is totally different from the other, and I can guarantee you, it's a blast. I even have my wife liking it now. Needless to say, the real draw is being able to get to and see places and things that the average Joe never even dreams about. Some of the trails are, well, very difficult, for lack of a better term. In order to show the folks back home just what kind of fun we were having, video is the way to go. Photos just don't do anything any justice.

So, how to you do video in a vehicle that is getting bounced and tossed around like a carnival ride? It doesn't work for a passenger to hold the camera, they simply cannot hold it still enough to be effective. Some of these Jeeps have GoPro mounts installed on them, but I don't have a GoPro, and did not feel like parting with the necessary funds to obtain one. Of course, I found out AFTERWARDS that I could have rented a GoPro from the Jeep rental company. No big deal, I believe in being prepared so I took our digital camera along on the trip, along with extra batteries and extra SD memory cards, but I needed a way to hold it steady while we were on the trail. A quick look through some photo equipment for some sort of clamp mount and I came up with this clamp and magic arm arrangement:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1406462-REG/camvate_c1160_crab_clamp_with_7.html

It worked GREAT!  It did allow the camera to move a very slight amount, but so very little that it is not noticed in any of the videos.

Now these things come in two lengths typically, either 7" or 11".  If you look at Noga's stuff, theirs are no longer than 11" either. I can see where anything longer might start to run into a leverage problem, especially if something heavier than a few ounces is on the end of the arm.

Keep in mind that I have come to the realization that the real cheap ones are simply not as good. The better models have a ball thrust bearing under the knob while the cheaper ones do not. The better models also have plated push rods inside, while the cheaper ones do not.

So has anybody done like I am considering as a trial and purchase a cheaper version and use it in place of a Noga brand arm?  By the time you purchase a magnetic base and a holder for a dial test indicator, you might have $50 tied up in the whole thing, but that is still way cheaper than purchasing a Noga.

Any thoughts?
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

woodchucker

Re: Possible Noga substitute?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
I have both, a knock off and a real noga. The knockoff is not as nice when it comes to arm, and test indicator holder, The NOGA kills it in that dept.
I bought the NOGA when ENCO offered me a large discount, a few years ago. I bought the heavier magnet.. The magnet is light duty on cast iron, I don't know why but the knockoff pulls better and it's a light duty magnet. So go figure. The noga works so nice, I love the adjustment right on the magnet to fine tune... no bouncing around.

You get what you pay for.  I would still buy a knockoff, but the NOGA is excellent, and I am not sorry.. The knock off... well, when I struggle to get an indicator in it... I curse a little.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

4GSR

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
Yes, I have two of the knock-offs, a small one and the bigger one.  It works flawlessly.  I can't see where there would be any difference in the two different brands even though I don't own a Noga one. 

I know Adam Booth has one modified to hold his Iphone for recording.  I think old Pete Peterson has modified one too.

The two knock-offs I have, have strong magnets and hold very good on cast iron just like Starrett 646's or is that 464's, I don't remember.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:18:52 PM by 4GSR »
Ken

chips and more

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
I have several Noga’s, big ones and small ones. And no, I did not pay the goofy prices they want for them. If I did pay the goofy prices, I would be pissed after receiving them and finding out how they are not that much better than all the other mag holding contraptions we are offered. The articulating arm is good. The mag is not.

And on a similar note. I really dislike the snake arm thing that some mag holders have. That kind of design does not lock solid at all!

Carpenter84

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 04:27:35 PM »
So, I'm really not missing all that much with the $20 Chinese  nogas? (Aside from the loosie goosie fine adjust mechanism...?)
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 06:19:38 PM »
I don't care for the fine adjustments on any of them.  They are jumpy and not sensitive in adjustment.  If you have a steady hand, you can get them to hold pretty close when you lock them down to where you don't need fine adjustment.  Yeah, every body has an opinion, and mine suck! ;D
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »
I WOULD like a Noga, just to have it, it see the difference in "quality". I've looked at them on Amazon a number of times but never had the guts to pull the trigger.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »
 $tarrett mag bases work well, those blue bases not so well.

Pep

woodchucker

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 09:47:41 AM »
I don't care for the fine adjustments on any of them.  They are jumpy and not sensitive in adjustment.  If you have a steady hand, you can get them to hold pretty close when you lock them down to where you don't need fine adjustment.  Yeah, every body has an opinion, and mine suck! ;D

The fine adjustment on the NOGA is where the noga shines. I like the bottom adjustment by the magnet. Far superior to any adjustment on the arm. no vibration, very smooth.
suck? you know the old saying,
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
In light of this thread, I purchased a few things and the outcome was pleasing.

I grabbed a pair of cheap mini jota style indicator holders. When I recieved them I immediately decided they needed modification.
I took apart the knuckles, lapped the bearing surfaces with just a fine stone. Little better, but still hard to tighten.
Then I grabbed some very small thrust washers. Well, they finally arrived and I assembled it all just now. Had to turn down the one knuckle clamp closest to the thumb wheel. Little dab of oil. And these things are totally different. Very smooth, lock extremely tight. Still have to put a bit of force into tightening, so gotta grab it with your fingers, no dainty two finger turn like a Noga, I'm sure. But damn good enough for me... I'll set the other one up on the lathe. But I also have two more larger Chinese holders on magnets. I am going to order more thrust washers as they make all the difference.

Pleased.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.