Author Topic: Quad variable speed transmission  (Read 584 times)

Carpenter84

Re: Quad variable speed transmission
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 07:35:47 AM »
Well... This has been a total and epic failure.

I'll take another swing this weekend with the stock I actually know IS a bolt... Hopefully it's composition is a bit harder than this crap mystery metal...

(For the record, it did NOT take much force to contort this rod... The smallest dimension is .375")
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
That must be some cheezy Chinese crap metal there ;D I couldn't do that if I tried!

See if you can get a Grade 8 bolt that you can turn down and thread.  If that don't work, don't know what to tell you.  May try a piece of drill rod and attempt to harden the end somewhat.
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »
I'm not surprised. When I needed to change the rings in my generator, I could not get the armature off the engine. It was a tapered mating.  I bent the crap out of the rod I used to push it out, same as what you built.
it looked like a snake .  I tried again, same but I persevered with my impact driver.

The problem with mine, was the bore was too small for a proper size rod for the amount of force required.
You may be dealing with the same, although your rod is much thicker.

Like Ken says, a hardened bolt. or hardened rod ... or harden it after  you machine it.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 11:16:03 AM »
When I started this doomed endeavour, I had two items on my bench for consideration as the stock. One was this cheese grade, the other was an actual bolt. I chose this cheese grade because the end of the other bolt was bent a bit. But I chose quickly, not measuring to realise I would actually be cutting off the bent section to shorten to length. But apparently chose so quickly I didn't look at this cheese grade close enough for more than 2 seconds to realise it was just a piece of mild steel round bar with a nut on top....

Im confident if I had chosen the other bolt, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. We would be talking about what bronze material to use as the bushing...

I'm not really sure it'll need to be hardened. It likely won't be that hard to remove... So long as I don't use parmesan cheese as a puller.......

Onward... I'll try to remake the puller tonight if I get time.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »
Trusty Mr AvE comes to mind...

https://youtu.be/SzgPOJPTo_A
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 11:55:51 AM »
Trusty Mr AvE comes to mind...

https://youtu.be/SzgPOJPTo_A

OMG!!!  What a fruit cake!!!

Carpenter84

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »
Lol. You either know AvE's videos or you don't, I guess.  ;)
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 02:41:09 PM »
That video was definitely 'out there' but it was humorous in an odd sort of way.

After seeing that, there is nothing else that I can do today that will even compare to it!

Thank God!!!
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »
AvE is probably the past actual human being, real person, on youtube. He has well over a million subscribers. He doesn't display the number because he really doesn't want that many. He's said numerous times before that his channel is far too big. He does real tool reviews, BOLTR (bored of lame tool reviews). He seems very educated, spent a lifetime working some kind of engineering problem solving for every conceivable industry, a lot of mining industry.
He buys a tool, and before even turning it on he tears it down and investigates how it's made and whether it's any good. He's not sponsored by anyone. Doesn't receive hands out from anyone. Pays his own way. (He probably makes $20,000-$30,000 a month from YouTube and patrion)...

He has a lot of very good content. Very educational. I've learned a lot about tools and materials, bearings, motors, etc.
Altho, you have no idea who he actually is. Hes kept his identity completely secret. We've never seen how face or body. He invented the "talking hands" YouTube thing. He's really actually worth watching. Albeit, he's wildly offensive. Lol
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 09:22:54 PM »
Watch a couple of his other videos.  Take my comment back.  Maybe a little eccentric?  Like you said, he is very sharp at the things he does.
Comparing impact wrenches...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG8KU_ln77k

Impressive!
Ken

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »
I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything like that either. You can definitely sense that he has an exceptional level of intelligence, but he chooses to follow the path of irreverence during his videos. Nothing wrong with that, but some of his comments go just a bit farther than they should for general audiences. I get it, with all of the other people out there doing machine shop videos and tool videos, he had to find a new niche, and he appears that he has done exactly that.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
And done it very well.
He's not for everyone. He's to be taken with a grain of salt and not followed precisely or imitated. Even tho many people do imitate him...
He's entertaining. I've learned quite a bit about stuff I didn't need to know about. He reveals the quality, or lack of, and exposes who's charging far too much money for so little. And I enjoy that. He's started into more machining stuff lately, with the purchase of a Haas 5 axis mill. And does jobs on request. Which is interesting sometimes.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
Anybody that has a HAAS 5-axis mill, I envy for them!! I'd be happy with a VH-2 mill! With 4-axis!

Talking about the HF Hurricane impact wrench, my son bought one a while back to replace the Central Pneumatic one from Wally World.  It broke loose some bolts loose the CP wouldn't touch, not even a long bar break over!  Bought it mainly for lug nuts on his Tacoma truck.  Oh, get's even better, since then, we bough a DeWalt 20V impact torque wrench, wins hands down over the HF air impact wrench!
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
I do not have a 1/2" electric impact gun. I have a lot of air capacity so my go to has always been pneumatic. I do not own a single major brand name pneumatic tool. All cheap. Princess auto, etc. But air tools are funny that way. The cheap ones seem to work just fine, and last a long time. But I will not touch a princess auto electric tool. Nope, no way. Being in the carpentry field, I stay far away from cheap electric tools. The lack of quality and performance is far more apparent with electric tools, it seems.
Or, maybe it is in pneumatic tools too, and I just don't know it, having not owned a big brand name air tool .... Maybe.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 02:58:03 PM »
Actually, I'm impressive over the HF new line of cordless power tools.  Haven't tried them, been a few good comments about them over on other forums. Time will tell.  I have way too much tied up in new DeWalt and Milwaukee cordless tools right now.  Be a long time before I buy any of an another brand.
Ken