Author Topic: Absolute wonders and where we are today  (Read 192 times)

savarin

Absolute wonders and where we are today
« on: July 30, 2019, 09:59:35 PM »
The other day I was watching the re runs of the moon landing and reminiscing about laying on the floor watching it till 4am in the morning.
It was very interesting seeing all the people involved in the control rooms and their reminiscences today of the event.
The fact we went from brown paper and string aircraft to walking on the moon in just 65 years is little short of astonishing.
 Then I watched the documentary "The planets" with Professor Brian Cox and again all the people involved and the enormous increase in knowledge gained along with awe inspiring pictures from those probes.
The phenomenal amount of planning required for those gigantic journeys through our solar system is nothing short of astounding.
Then came the science fiction like rocket powered landings of space X primary boosters for re use and I came to the realisation that man can do anything if it puts its mind to it.
Nothing is impossible. We can overcome most obstacles to progress for a far better world if we only want to.
In today's society most nations have an extensive education system covering all fields from abstract thinking to zoology and all disciplines and off shoots in between.
(I'm leaving out the poorest nations on the planet as they have many fundamental problems preventing a decent education)
Our knowledge base today is gigantic with virtually unimpeded access to most of it for most people.
With all this unimpeded access to a high quality education why is it then that we seem unable to learn any lessons from history?
The ruling classes of most countries whether they are in big business or politics appear to be run by people who have a total lack of ethics and morals, who love to deny the advances and knowledge in science, are absolutely ensconced in the creed of greed that they still perpetuate the age old "Failed" policies that have proven to be flawed and downright dangerous to populations at large.
Why are we still going to war against other countries? (I include all nations on the planet in the use of "we")
It's very simple to say "Its because "They" started it.
We are well educated today compared to those days but it still goes on and on and on.
Of the past 3,400 years, humans have been entirely at peace for only 268 of them, or just 8 percent of recorded history. A pretty sad statistic.
If we look at the classic bell curve as applied to education, morals, ethics, or any other paradigm you wish to use its obvious that half the population fall on the wrong side of it and that seems to be the side all the so called leaders sit.
No wonder mankind is finding it difficult to climb out of the mire of mediocrity and advance to our fullest potential because the Dunning Kruger effect is alive and strong in all our leaders and in half the population.
Time to take more Prozac.

Carpenter84

Re: Absolute wonders and where we are today
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »
"money"......

That is all, thank you - goodnight.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 02:43:33 AM »
Good morning. Yup, follow the money. Greed is at the root of it all.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

jpigg55

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »
IMHO it's the false sense of power these people get from money.
Money becomes the vehicle for these types to feel self important and in control.
A few years back I heard of a psychological study that found that the psychological profiles of corporate CEO's and serial killers was almost identical.
In the early 1900's the law required corporations to be disbanded once the business/project was up and running to prevent monopolies.
It sure didn't take long for them to pay off enough politicians and judges to change these laws and greed made them a breeding ground for, what in my opinion, the type of people who are the scum of the earth to advance.

Even the space race was brought about by political posturing, who's the biggest, baddest rooster in the henhouse. Even NASA has become a shadow of itself since the end of the Cold War.
Big companies now-a-days seem to spend very little on R&D compared to what they once did. They'd rather just steal new ideas/products from small inventors and small businesses.

"Rant for the day" complete. LOL
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

4GSR

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:40:37 AM »
Big companies now-a-days seem to spend very little on R&D compared to what they once did. They'd rather just steal new ideas/products from small inventors and small businesses.

"Rant for the day" complete. LOL

All of the companies I've worked for in the past 38 years are guilty of "reverse engineering" other people's products.  And all of this happen here in USA, not China.  What USA companies did in the early 2000, was moved their seasoned products to China to build.  From that, the Chinese reversed engineered USA product already over there.  You can't really blame the Chinese for stealing high tech from the USA when we were the one's that took it to them in the first place.  I realized there are a few things they did steal from us and other countries, especially their neighbor Japan.  That's why there is GPS devices on Machine Tools that have more than three or four axis of movements.  All you have to do is move the machine over by a foot and it locks down the controller!

woodchucker

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »
So do you guys like these CEO's or powerful guys?

I don't. I wouldn't trust most of them. I can't speak for all.

I'm going to add my little rant here. Every company wants employees who work well with others.
Some of the most talented people I have ever worked with were not these people.

Today most of them would not find a job anywhere, because companies only want people who are nice and like everyone else.
And most of these nice people are not the innovators like the "out there" person is.

Wonder why we don't innovate any longer. Just look at our politics, or corporate policies. We want plain vanilla. Look at the liberals, if you don't believe like them your a facist.

Look at the right wingers, if you don't believe like them your a liberal.

I don't like TRUMP and that bothers many of you, but the reality is Trump would steal your house, your car, just to pad his pockets. His EGO needs to be filled all the time. His greed is second to no one.  Lets take his EGO and just say it's just as GREEDY as his desire for money, for power, for control.

And for this next election... there's not one person I would vote for.  What a loser country we have become.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:13:25 PM by woodchucker »
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Bill Gruby

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 12:07:24 PM »
 It don't bother me, not in any way. We all have the ability to like or not like.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

4GSR

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 12:20:54 PM »
I'm not a fan of Trump, had no choice to vote for.  It was either him or the wicked witch of the Ozarks!  I chose him.

34_40

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 05:04:40 PM »
I'm not a fan of Trump, had no choice to vote for.  It was either him or the wicked witch of the Ozarks!  I chose him.

I usually write in Micky Mouse or Donald Duck...  I will never vote for an incumbent.   I realize why folks voted for Trump..  it was time to stand-up and say enough is enough.   But I pray he doesn't get a second.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

grumpygator

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »
I try to stay out of these discussions but, in my opinion when the Supreme Court recognized corporations as people with the same rights we lost the fight.
  For the record, I have been a registered Independent since 1977. And it's clear to me that either way, things will not change in our favor. I have not seen one law that has passed that really address the reason it was passed. Smoke and mirrors.
   We need a "None of the above" on the ballot in my opinion.  I'm tired of picking between the lesser of the two evils.
   I have never missed a chance to vote. Even if it was the local dog catcher. That's the only power we have.
          **G** 

woodchucker

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 07:01:00 PM »
I try to stay out of these discussions but, in my opinion when the Supreme Court recognized corporations as people with the same rights we lost the fight.
  For the record, I have been a registered Independent since 1977. And it's clear to me that either way, things will not change in our favor. I have not seen one law that has passed that really address the reason it was passed. Smoke and mirrors.
   We need a "None of the above" on the ballot in my opinion.  I'm tired of picking between the lesser of the two evils.
   I have never missed a chance to vote. Even if it was the local dog catcher. That's the only power we have.
          **G** 

same here, its not just a right, it's a duty.  I avoid the incumbent, I have been trying to convince people when they don't like someone to vote third party, but they tell me it's throwing their vote away. I tell them its not.. it's trying to get the 2 party system shaken up and move it to a third choice.
still better than voting for the lesser of 2 evils.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

jpigg55

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 06:51:27 AM »
I used to hold many of the same opinions, and no wonder since we were all indoctrinated by the same educational system.
The same system still in place today, a system modeled on an 1800's Prussian system designed to instill obedience and train factory workers.
Just compare the two. You have to get up early, travel to another location, get clumped together with your peers, stand in line, respond to a bell, obey your masters (teachers), spend 8 hours being taught just enough to get by in a working class society, and then go home before doing it all over the next day.
Sound familiar ?
Think about your 12+ years in school. How many classes taught you about how our system of government actually works or how true banking/economics work.
In my case, that number is "ZERO" on both counts. I actually learned more as a kid from a Saturday morning cartoon series called "Schoolhouse Rock" (for anyone who remembers that show) than I was taught in school.

In the early years of this country, there were multiple political parties all on equal footing. Now we have two.
There are other parties out there, but not on equal footing as the Republicrats. They've changed the rules of elections over the years to ensure they stay in power and the only reason I believe there are two parties is to give the public the illusion that a monopoly doesn't exist in our political system. To make us believe we actually have a choice.

The biggest mistake they've made, IMHO, was opening access to the internet to the general public and they've tried to figure out a way to reign it in ever since. For the first time in history, the masses had a medium to not only read/view the expressions of others around the world, but an unfettered method of expressing their own. Think of how many political third parties have gained traction since the advent of the internet.

Morning rant complete.  ;)
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

ddickey

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 07:24:40 AM »
          **G** 

Not really the only. The final defense is the jury. The way it was intended.