Author Topic: Rant on Porter Cable Air Hose  (Read 108 times)

chips and more

Rant on Porter Cable Air Hose
« on: August 08, 2019, 08:42:35 AM »
So I noticed my main air compressor was cycling and I wasnít using any air? And I hate air leaks! So I get out the spray soapy bottle and started to look for a problem in the air supply for the shop. In my shop this is not an easy task! Getting around could take a while LOL. And Iím not finding the problem either! Now Iím thinking my compressor has an internal leak. Just when I thought I was done looking I checked the air hose for the hell of it. And what do I see! Thousands of micro-sized air bubbles all up and down the air hose! What the hell, never seen that before, the Porter Cable air hose failed! Maybe Iíll go try a Harbor Freight air hose LOL. Any suggestions on a GOOD air hose?

GNAP

Re: Rant on Porter Cable Air Hose
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 08:49:50 AM »
I just bought 50í of the new extreme 3/8Ē red air hose from Harbor Freight, the best they sell in the Diablo range, reminds me of the old style Goodyear, was about $35 for 50í

gtermini

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:31:51 AM »
I like Continental (Goodyear) or Parker myself. Continental Gorilla hoses are tough as nails, but wicked spendy. Look for a hose with a MSHA-approved rating. They are the mine safety nazis and make OSHA look like nothing. Hoses rated for mine use are almost guaranteed to be way better built than anything else. I've given up on these junk chinese, fake rated hoses. They UV crack and fail in less than months most times.

woodchucker

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »
I had the same with a HF hose.. Bought the 3/8 blue poly hose to go from basement to garage.
it had a skin that leaked the air and blew up.

They replaced the hose and it's been ok since. Sorry I didn't do the 1/2 rubber back then. not replacing it now.
Just going to try to get more from the 3/8 using high flow connectors and get rid of the 1/4 connectors.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

pep

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 07:15:46 AM »
I had the same with a HF hose.. Bought the 3/8 blue poly hose to go from basement to garage.
it had a skin that leaked the air and blew up.

They replaced the hose and it's been ok since. Sorry I didn't do the 1/2 rubber back then. not replacing it now.
Just going to try to get more from the 3/8 using high flow connectors and get rid of the 1/4 connectors.

That change alone will surprise you, HF is actually is a good product for those.

Air hose wise I stick with rubber, & flexible, the poly crap is just that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 07:19:03 AM by pep »

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 09:30:18 AM »
The last two sets of air hoses, were Goodyear brand, bought at HF out of all places.  Have had them for close to five years now, still holding up great!  Of course, they don't stay hooked up to the compressor like they used to before installing the Rapi-Air system.  They still get used on outside jobs around the vehicles.

chips and more

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »
Lazy ass me always has the hose hooked up! Always has 90psi in the hose. Yep, probably not the best idea ::)

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 12:09:50 PM »
Back in the mid 90's we had a small chain of stores called Tools and More. They were very similar to HF and sold the same sort of imported tools. I purchased two 25' Goodyear rubber hoses there and still have them. They are GREAT!  I did have one get a separation in it right next to the crimped on fitting on one end, but it was easily fixed by cutting it off and replacing it with a two piece thread on fitting that I got from McMaster-Carr.

I've been down the road with the poly "all weather" hoses and will never buy another one.

I just looked and you can buy 3/8" ID EPDM rubber air hose from McMaster for $0.90 a foot or $0.82 a foot if you buy 100 feet or more. You can purchase hoses to custom lengths with ends installed or you can buy bulk hose and install your own ends. May seem a bit more expensive at first, but you would be forever happy with the hoses and they will last a long, long time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:21:59 PM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!