Author Topic: Milling Cutter  (Read 362 times)

woodchucker

Milling Cutter
« on: August 23, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
Started roughing out a milling cutter.  More pics at: https://imgur.com/a/yCfkVtx

Started with this:

And am roughing it out:

The head where the ccmt's will reside:

starting to take shape, not sized. Right now my vision is impaired so this will wait until I can see details.

Cooled off will revisit when I am good to go.

Next step will be to mount this between centers so everything is nice and true.
I haven't decided whether to go 1/2 shaft, or 3/4. I have an MT2 mill, so it can only go to 1/2, but I have an ER32 which can handle up to 3/4.
I don't think give the ER32 goes in the MT2 quill, that I am gaining anything by going to 3/4. But I could be wrong, since it might actually be more solid.  But it is hanging out more, so it might not be more rigid.
I can start with 3/4 and always come back and turn it down to 1/2 later.
hmmm.

More pics at: https://imgur.com/a/yCfkVtx
This link keeps coming out in small text.... ADMINS / Rusty please fix this problem.!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:06:59 PM by woodchucker »
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

woodchucker

Re: Milling Cutter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »

Well, I got stupid... Again...

Not related to my eye... Just stupid, in a rush.  I created a stress riser by no
t remembering how I was going to cut the pockets. Rather than come in from the s
ide to give it a nice rounded pocket I went from the bottom to the shank... Crea
ting a stress riser ... what a bonehead.

Now I have to do the same to the other side, and I didn't need the height, I needed the width...
To repair this, well there is no repair, but instead I can order APTX type carbide rather than the CNMG, or whatever it is I was going to use, and salvage it.

Still in the roughing phase, but I need to  stop... and think about how to proceed... And then wait for a good eye day.

~

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:26:35 AM by woodchucker »
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

PJB

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 07:10:14 AM »
Aw man sorry.  Thatís never a good feeling blundering mid-project but you never know it may work just fine sharp and all.   Could you run a small ballnose at a 45 down the intersections and create an undercut relief vs a fillet?
I want what yooz gots

Carpenter84

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 07:52:00 AM »
I was thinking the same. Even a small bullnose to concave that corner should help spread the stress.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 07:59:43 AM »
It's not dead yet.  You have to get the tip of the cutting edge down to the centerline of the cutter.  It don't look like you're there yet. Looks like you're down where the top of the insert would be flush with the slot milled.  Just need to move over slightly and mill the pocket.  Remember, the CCMT, CCGT, CNMG, or I should say, the "C" configuration insert don't make good tool geometry for milling tools.  I would suggest using a basic TPG, TPU style insert for a milling insert.  They do require a clamp to hold them in place.  OR you could use the "screw down" version of "T" style inserts.  I believe that is the TCMT, TCGT, TNMG style of inserts.
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 08:04:30 AM »
what I was talking about was the stress from the shank.

See where I have that radii where I stopped the cutter?  That should have been lower down so it does not cause stress at the shank, and also prevents vibration .

I'm going to finish it off try it, then build or buy a new one.  ::) :(

I still have more to cleanup, I used a roughing end mill, and you can see it cut deeper on top, and less on the bottom, I'll be taking a regular endmill and finishing it, then take your advice and use a round nose endmill for the corner.

I am not to depth yet, since I can see, I scratched a stopping point, The lower mark is where the pocket needs to be for the tool.. Maybe I take Ken's recommendation and forget the C insert and rather than goto T* I would just goto the AP*T insert.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:10:43 AM by woodchucker »
Jeff

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 08:04:30 AM »