Author Topic: Challenge 101  (Read 1436 times)

woodchucker

Re: Challenge 101
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2019, 09:45:01 AM »
ohhhh noooooo Mr. Bill.......... :a102:

I had to do that BG...  :))
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

4GSR

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2019, 10:20:00 AM »
I notice in this months Homeshop Magazine, there is a project using a tee. Just coinsendatle.  :a102:
Ken

Bill Gruby

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2019, 08:02:29 AM »
The build phase begins. This will be over Dec. 14, 2019. Have fun. No more entries will be allowed. There are just three members in this challenge.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Carpenter84

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »
I better get my lathe put back together quick times, then...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2019, 05:51:08 PM »
where do we submit our entries?
I am going away Sunday will be gone a week so gotta post it before I go.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

Bill Gruby

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2019, 08:23:04 AM »
 Put your entries right here in this thread .

"Billy G"

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

jpigg55

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
Back to working on my entry.
I'll be pushing the deadline to finish for sure.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

woodchucker

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2019, 09:14:35 PM »

I took this T and created a deadblow hammer out of it.

I found out quickly that the casting was quite uneven. First I put 2 short lengths of pipe into the end to turn the T down. well it was straight but with quite a bit of runnout. 
I thought of putting it between centers and friction turning it. 
I first turned an aluminum head , threaded it, then remounted it back in to give a seamless look.

I then did the same with a piece of steel.  I held it in the 4 jaw chuck to turn the look. I needed a center to hold it, so I took a piece of aluminum faced it , center drilled it, then glued it to the face of the steel head so I could get some support while turning the rest.

Then I put it in the four jaw again to work on the T part for the handle. I took off the excess, and put a decorative groove in the T by the handle. For the handle I cut the pipe end off, tapered the end so the wedge for the handle would be able to grab better.  Sorry no pics. Wish I had but my hands were quite oily.

Filing was next. I wanted the rough casting cleaned up.

Yes the sand finish was nice, but this is a contest to showcase what we can do, so after lots of filing, and contorting.

sorry about the pics, I must have gotten oil or dirty fingers on the lens a little blurred until I cleaned it.

Next on to the handle. The handle had to be wood. I am not a fan of a metal handle, or knurled. When your hands are oily metal tends to slip, I wanted a wooden handle that registered the head direction without looking in my hand. So it had to have a nice oblong shape. I roughed it on the band saw, then went to town using a spoke shave and block plane.

The rough shape and pipe threads.

I had to add cheeks to the handle to fill the threads, it would also help to reduce the stress riser by tapering off.

2 wedges were made to hold the handle in the thread ring.. (remember the taper I added to the pipe threads (on the inside).

The Aluminum wedge was cut on the mill, and it would be driven into the wooden wedge 90 degrees off. then cut off

The handle was finished with orange shellac, my preferred finish because of thw way it feels.

The finished project

Bird shot for the dead blow action.

And a wooden head to prevent marring. More heads will come later.

More Pics at https://imgur.com/a/l7ZtDsY

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:22:55 PM by woodchucker »
Jeff

Carpenter84

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2019, 09:32:33 PM »
Hmm... Gonna be hard to top that.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2019, 07:55:02 AM »
 9 more days.

"Billy G"

Bill Gruby

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »
Less than 1 week to go, it's gonna end Saturday at midnight ---- MAYBE

"Billy G"

chips and more

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
But on the hammer head it says "3/4" made it and not "Jeff" made it. :smiley_confused1:

woodchucker

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2019, 04:12:57 PM »
But on the hammer head it says "3/4" made it and not "Jeff" made it. :smiley_confused1:

We'll 3 and 4 helped.   Sitting here sweating at the airport.
Once I am on the plane will be out of contact unless I find a computer my phone goes offline unless I need it
Jeff

Bill Gruby

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2019, 09:29:45 AM »
 OK, here is the deal, because of the time of year and the good moods of  all involved in this, (ME) the deadline to get a picture of the finished project will be Dec. 21. 2019 at 12:00 PM. That gives an added time of 7 days. Use that time as you see fit. That means anything you wish it to, ANYTHING. Have fun. HO-HO-HO Merry Christmas.

"Billy G"

jpigg55

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2019, 09:42:53 PM »
Thanks for the extension Bill, but don't wait on my account.
I ran into some information today that pointed out a fatal flaw in my design so I'm back to square one with no chance of finishing by the deadline.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2019, 09:42:53 PM »