Author Topic: The Four Pics at the Top of the Page  (Read 563 times)

34_40

Re: The Four Pics at the Top of the Page
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »
Yeah,  there is four pictures, the last one to the right is cut in half on my screen.  It has to do with the resolution you set your screen to and if your running a 3 or 4K screen or a ancient 640K screen.

Yes, I changed the "zoom"  down to 80 percent.  Now I can see'em all.  But the problem now is "everything" is tiny!  So it won't stay like this for long.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 07:23:40 PM »

I don't see all of them on my phone, but I do on the computer at home. It all depends on screen size and resolution.

I agree that voting would be a pain in the butt, and I can easily create the sticky thread for submitting photos. I don't even mind doing the editing and then passing the new banner to Rusty to post. The editing should be easy as I already have the template here from the creation of the first banner. This will not be a frequent occurrence, twice a year or so should be sufficient.

However, I really need for everyone to understand that submitted photos will get resized and cropped. Cropping is done so that the real subject of the photo is the foremost item in each pic and so that the subject is as large as practically possible for the best view, yet still fits into the confines of the banner. I really don't want someone getting upset that their photo got edited to fit and then storms off in a huff. I know, the members here are generally a level headed bunch, but I need to put this up front to avoid any headaches later.

So, is this the way you guys want it done?

Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 07:30:39 PM »
Sounds good to me.
Let's start submitting.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 07:40:01 PM »
Sounds good to me.
Let's start submitting.

Patience, patience. Let's leave it open for a little more discussion first. Rome wasn't built in a day, and the banner does not need to change immediately as it does not affect functionality of the site. Even if it takes a little time, at least we are moving in the right direction.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 08:31:11 PM by Terrywerm »
Terry

pep

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »

I don't see all of them on my phone, but I do on the computer at home. It all depends on screen size and resolution.

True, full screen does it.

Pep

Bill Gruby

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 09:10:54 PM »
 Call me the Monkey Wrench in the gears , but I still haven't heard a reason for changing them yet. When a post starts out, "It's not a big deal. but" a red flag shoots up for me and then the word WHY pops into my head.  As far as I can see, everything is OK the way it is. My 2 cents.

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:12:29 PM by Bill Gruby »
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Carpenter84

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 09:36:43 PM »
Because variety is nice sometimes. Maybe some people are bored too. I dunno. Change the pictures, don't change the pictures. Doesn't matter. I wonder why things need to turn into such big discussions here sometimes.

In other news our member base hasn't increased in some time.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

34_40

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 06:24:34 AM »
There's an old adage that goes, "Variety is the spice of life!",  sometimes it will be nice to change things up and give us a fresh look.
We're a small group and we don't have many other things to share.  So a few pictures a couple times a year is a small thing in the grand scheme.

In other news some of us learned / remembered there were pictures ( 5 of them!) in the header on top!   :)
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Bill Gruby

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 07:20:13 AM »
 I saw them when they first were posted. After that they were just a banner to fill the space and equalize the look.  There is a possibility that someone could be put in the position to take care of this?

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:23:25 AM by Bill Gruby »
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »

Okay, the new sticky thread for submitting photos for the banner has been created here:    https://www.machinistgazette.com/index.php?topic=1657.0

All the details are laid out there. No apologies on the list of rules, they need to be there to protect staff, the site, and all of you.
Terry

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »