Author Topic: I need some electrical help  (Read 99 times)

Jake Parker

I need some electrical help
« on: September 09, 2019, 10:55:13 PM »
I have a Monarch lathe that requires 3 pz.
It came out of a shop that had "high leg delta".
I have the same service, I just dont know where to hook what on the start relay. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Jake Parker

Re: I need some electrical help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:58:05 PM »
Here's what I got.

Carpenter84

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 05:38:06 AM »
Looks like your line in may be up top there. You're looking for L1, L2, and L3.
T1, T2, T3 are your outputs to the motor.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 05:41:44 AM »
If the motor spins in the wrong direction, switch any two of the lines.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 07:04:36 AM »
Shawn is correct, the three terminals at the top of the relay should be you L1, L2, L3. 

Is that the side of the box next to the terminals?  If it is, that relay is too big for that box.  If this was my lathe, I would strip all that off, put a newer larger metal box on the lathe.  The relay is probably still good for now but eventually need to be replaced too.  That's a old Square D relay that was old back in 1970. First one I learned how to wire up at 14 years old.  The leads going down to the motor look toasty and very oily.  No telling what the leads look like in the pecker head.   I can't help you on a metal box, but may have a stray relay laying around here collecting dust and other stuff if you need anything else later.
Ken

Jake Parker

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 07:18:12 AM »
Thank y'all for the replies. I was on the right track, it was the neutral wire that keeps throwing me off.
Im not use to 3 hots a neutral and a ground.

I have a decent sized sealed plastic box with a door. I might as well install it before wiring it.

Carpenter84

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
That's an Allen Bradley contactor with overload resets on each leg. There's no neutral in these photos. Only 3 lines. In fact, I don't even see a ground lug. The lathe is probably chassis ground. There's probably a 6 awg lug somewhere on an enclosure or in the castings somewhere.

Chances are the contact pads are pretty crusty. It may work fine, it may work intermittently, or not at all. No way to know. If the pads are crusty, it could create some issues. Resistance, heat, arcing, etc.
Magnetic contactors are not expensive items and are much simpler to wire now. Many have built in overload protection, short circuit protection, etc etc. They're also much smaller in physical size.

Personally, if I planned on restoring, or cleaning, or just running the machine regularly, I'd replace the major electrical components.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »
Shawn is right, that is a A-B contactor.  I'm wrong!  Sorry.  Them old boxes never did have a proper "grounding" lug in them.  That was something you added later.  The electrical code back then did not require a ground wire run to the machine.  The metal conduit was the "ground" for the machine.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 06:11:26 PM »
Ever hear a short shoot through the old bx casing back to the panel in an old factory? It was like a loud ZOOOOOT-BANG.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.