Author Topic: Rust prevention  (Read 130 times)

KevinBacon

Rust prevention
« on: September 23, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
Hello again everyone,

I've been doing some searching around, and finally figured it might be worth a thread. When Uglydog sent me home with the big Gisholt, he was kind enough to send me with a pile of various tooling. As I've said before, I'm not even sure what half of it is. But I've started going through it all and cleaning it up a bit. Some of it looks quite good still, but some of it has a bit of surface rust on it. I'm sure some of what I'm doing is unnecessary, but until I get the motor/power supply sorted out I'm happy to spend some time messing with everything and get acquainted with it all.

So far, WD-40 and an old wire brush has been my plan, and see where that gets me. I'm half doing inventory, and half just trying to protect the steel. I'm sure there is better oil to put on machine tools, so what do you guys like to use? Would anyone shy me away from using a wire wheel on my drill or bench grinder?

Carpenter84

Re: Rust prevention
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 12:53:29 PM »
Using evapo-rust will remove the rust with ease, and once clean and washed you just dip the part in the evapo-rust again and pat dry for a rust protective coating.
Evapo-rust is usually easily obtainable at many stores. Our (Canadian) Princess auto has it, so I'm sure habor freight has it too, and so on.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
Our weather plays an important part on what to use for rust preventive.  Also has to do with the part of the country we live in, too.

I live down here on the gulf coast of Texas where the humidity stays above 70% most of the year round.  So saying that, WD-40 is out, it will cause faint "brown" looking tarnish on bare metal surfaces, which is the beginning of rust.
Obvious, I'm not a fan of WD-40, although I keep a can around for some cleaning, cutting aluminum, and that's it.

I won't say anymore about Evaprust, enough said in it.  I've used it with mixed results.

For most protection, I use Starrett M-1, or it's equivalent LPS-1, on all bare metal surfaces.  Long term inside, good old ISO 46 hydraulic oil on all.  It has inhibitors that will help protect from water and other things that may cause rust, along with other enhancing properties.  Storage outside, again ISO 46 oil on all metal and even painted surfaces.  Then tarp tightly.  Come back every three months and repeat. 

There are other rust prevention products out there.  I have used some, and most I've never touched.  The key to this exercise is to keep all bare metal coated with something that has some kind of oil to it's content IMO.  I've even used lanolin with good results. 

I'll let others speak.

KevinBacon

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 03:20:46 PM »
Before we get too much further, I do somewhat know that basics of rust removal and prevention, but I'm more wondering what I should be keeping in mind when it comes to machines and semi-precision tooling. Grinding the rust off of an old pickup is one thing, but I want to make sure I don't screw up decent tooling too bad. I've also been reading on some of the detriments of WD-40 as well, hence the request for a better oil specific for machining.

I will find some evapo-rust and see how it does. I didn't realize it would help protect afterward as well. Maybe I'm again just overthinking things and that's my answer. I just hate to ruin anything before I know what I'm doing.

In addition, I have been interested in practicing cold bluing. Would older turret lathe tooling be a decent candidate for practice, or should I again avoid hurting anything and just stick with the evapo-rust?

I do intend on attempting electrolysis rust removal on some parts for the fun of it, but it doesn't sound like that is a perfect solution for most things.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

34_40

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 04:39:21 PM »
When using the evapo-rust make certain to completely submerge the part/ piece, don't leave some of it exposed or a line will be etched into the part.

I like to use way oil or even chain saw bar oil on parts and wipe it in good with a rag.  I'm in new england and our humidity varies a lot, the oil coating seems to last longer than other things I've tried.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 04:58:29 PM »
I didn't mentioned way oil.  I have a five gallon bucket about half full.  It's Chevron Way Oil.  The problem with it is, the sulfur content and some of the other ingredients have caused tarnished looking surfaces on some of the ways in my shop.  Someone over on another forum said this was a problem with Chevron Way Oil.  When it's gone, I will being buying a bucket of Mobile Vatra 2, I believe it is, way oil.  It should be good for rust prevention on machines, too.
Ken

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »
I've been putting way oil on everything, Vactra #2 as Ken mentioned. It seems to do an excellent job.  For removing the rust, I believe that you will like Evapo-rust. I've used it a few times and it is great stuff, but it does tend to slightly etch the surfaces that it comes in contact with for any period of time.

Hydraulic oil, bar oil, 10 weight motor oil, even automatic transmission fluid are all better than nothing when coating a surface for rust prevention. If you happen to have a bunch of one kind or another sitting around and have no use for it, then by all means use it for rust prevention!
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

chips and more

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »
If you want to protect bare steel for long term storage or stuff that is outside “Fluid Film” (pic) works wonders for me. I can work for all rust preventive applications but it sprays on thick and can be a nuisance if you are going to clean the stuff off frequently. And I totally agree with all said. In my Hobby Shop I keep all my machines wet with oil. I’m not in a high humid climate. But stuff can still rust. Keeping the machines wet does make a difference in my shop. I’m not paying too much attention on what oil I use either LOL. For me just keeping it wet with any kind of oil is most important. I did notice staining one time as Ken has mention. I don’t use that oil that I still have anymore…Dave.

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »