Author Topic: Metal Suppliers  (Read 247 times)

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
Re: Metal Suppliers
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 09:32:20 AM »
Yup, that sucks to be in a "dead zone".  I used to have to go up to north Minneapolis all the time to get steel and other metals. Had to take a day off work just to go up there because all of the metal merchants and scrap yards were only open Monday through Friday.  For a little while there was a welding shop open near my work where I could get steel in limited sizes, but they eventually moved elsewhere. Then about ten years ago a fabricating shop opened just a mile from my house and they were happy to sell me just about any steel I needed. As time went on they got bigger and bigger, and now they don't want to bother with selling materials to a little guy like me. Sad.

So as time goes on, my metal purchasing habits have changed and evolved. No matter how I do it the stuff is getting damned expensive!
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

chips and more

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
Sorry, not on topic. But you just mentioned “damn expensive”! Last night I ordered from Amazon a 1 gal container Ridgid dark thread cutting oil for about 22 bucks delivered to my front door. And it got here this morning!!! That’s in less than 24hrs! Damn good deal if you ask me. Now, if I can just find metal deals like that!

PJB

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 05:06:38 PM »
Man I feel sorry for you guys and empathize with the problem finding metal.   Location really is the main factor.   Something I am keeping front of mind when choosing where to retire.   Its 5-10 yrs off but starting to come in focus.   Again not rubbing it in rather point of fact, Here in N. IL /Chicago area there are umpteen options.   
I can shoot over to McMaster will call within 15 min.   Although I don’t buy much from them MSC and Grainger are down the block.
Alro, Jorgensen, Ryerson all local.   
Obviously grasping for positive straws to jusify living in this state!
I want what yooz gots

woodchucker

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »
Nothing here by me. Years ago, there was a great machine/industrial supplier near me. They went out of business. The bearing company went out of business. Most everyone closed. An hour away is a grainger (too expensive).

McMaster online is my best, fastest option.  Ebay for my needs mostly... for drops.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

pep

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 08:23:45 PM »
Metal Supermarkets, not sure all do this, but the last pickup from them learned they  sell drops. Sure will be looking into that more.
Pep

woodchucker

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 09:53:29 PM »
Metal Supermarkets, not sure all do this, but the last pickup from them learned they  sell drops. Sure will be looking into that more.
Pep
yea, but very expensive. Ebay 20 at Metal Supermarkets 34 for example. that's a steep increase for 1 piece
but you did open my eyes to the fact that they are about 45 minutes away. So usable in a pinch. 
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 09:53:29 PM »