Author Topic: Unusual Scherr Tumico Indicator  (Read 111 times)

chips and more

Unusual Scherr Tumico Indicator
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »
Was at the Flea Market this morning. Almost didn’t give this indicator a second look. But then noticed something weird about the things I was seeing on its sides? This thing has a plunger on the bottom, like the Starrett 196 back plunger. And also a plunger on the right/left, 3&9 O’clock position. Never seen this before? Is it something for a special application? Just another selling gimmick? Anyway, only paid a buck for it.

Carpenter84

Re: Unusual Scherr Tumico Indicator
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »
Niice. I really need to go to flea markets. We have one in town that goes on every weekend. But I have it hard to believe they will have anything interesting since it's every single weekend....
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 05:04:27 PM »
I learned a long time ago…”never assume”.

Carpenter84

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »
You're probably right. I should go and see. Whenever I drive by on the weekend I never have time to stop in.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 05:49:37 PM »
Nice Find!!! Never had much interests in that type of indicator.  But wait, probably have six of the 196's around here somewhere.
Ken

Bill Gruby

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 06:07:13 PM »
 If that flea market is every week, I will guarantee there is a big turnover of items. Get to know the seller. Sometimes they will call the regular buyers  when a special item comes into their possession. It doesn't hurt to try.

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 06:10:28 PM by Bill Gruby »
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 06:16:05 PM »
Shawn, you should make time, and for several reasons.

Leave a little time in your day for the unexpected pleasures, such as visiting a flea market on the spur of the moment. Life is not meant to be lived at a constant 110 MPH.

You never know what you might find at a flea market. Yes, there is lots of junk, but what is junk to one person may be a treasure to someone else. You will not know what is there unless you stop and have a look.

Bill's advice is very good, too. There are great deals to be had out there, and when it comes to that kind of thing, WHO YOU KNOW is key.
Chips and More:  Scherr-Tumico's biggest customer is and almost always has been the US government. Yes, they have sold to the public and machine shops over the years, but walk into a military machine shop and just about every instrument will be S-T with some Starrett or Brown and Sharp mixed in. S-T is probably best known in the commercial world for their optical comparators.

I honestly cannot say what purpose the additional side plungers might serve, I've never seen anything quite like that before.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »
Doesn't take much to twist my arm! Good thing it's Monday tomorrow. Lol. I'll see what happens next weekend.

As far as the side plungers... I can appreciate a side plunger when indicating both on the lathe and mill. Any time I've ever trammed my mill vise, I've always had a bit of a difficult time seeing the dial. Being 6'4" has its challenges... It's a neat advantage. I don't think I'd be running out the door to buy one, but I feel it would certainly get used on occasion if I had the option.
Definitely a cool find, especially for the price! I think I'd take just about anything machining related if it was only a buck and didn't involve shipping!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 08:30:06 PM »
As for me, I live for the flea market, garage sale and estate sale! I was weaned on them, LOL! I will stop with what I’m doing with almost everything and go to them!

A little story...With our first child the wife went into labor on a Friday night. When in the hospital, the doc said, it’s gonna be awhile. Then the wife looked at me and said, you’re not going to the Saturday flea market are you??? And miss our son being born and leave me here all alone, are you!!! That was one of the very few times I missed the flea market. The other times is when I’ll be 6 feet under.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:34:07 PM by chips and more »

4GSR

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 06:35:41 AM »
Where I find these back plunger indicators for is indicating in a part or raw stock on a large lathe.  When I say large say 16" and larger.  Really nice when indicating in a large piece that has a fairly large bore in it where you can shove the indicator in about an inch or so.  When I ran a lathe way back, I would have a couple of magnetic bases set up with indicators where I could indicate the OD with one and indicate the face with another.  I only used my "Last Word" indicator where things were indicated very close in and needed to be held a little tighter TIR.  Believe me, I've tore up a few Last Words over the years.  Back plunger ones, I've wrecked a few of them too.  It happens.  Around big machines especially.
Ken

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 06:35:41 AM »