Author Topic: What did you buy today?  (Read 2841 times)

PJB

Re: What did you buy today?
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2020, 09:19:25 PM »
Needed some beverages and figured Iíd stick with the theme!  But damn never felt so guilty buying 4 measly rolls of crapper paper cuz we actually needed some.
Store was mobbed with sr citizens panicking .

1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"I wants what you gots!"

Carpenter84

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2020, 09:29:36 PM »
Oh my holy lord... our regular .... REGULAR Thursday night grocery shop trip took two and a half extra hours and we barely got half of our regular items because the shelves were ransacked.....

My wife is a health care worker (pharmacist. Highly educated, highly decorated), and is completely fed up with how much the media has over dramatized this and freaked people out to the point of panic... now our cities are shutting down... schools are closing, public buildings are closing, daycare is closed... and she just told me the book she wants is unavailable now because the library is closed till April... gawww-leee....

Edit: I like whiskey, but not much of a fan of bourbon.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:32:43 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2020, 04:03:24 AM »
We did the Walmart Pickup on Thursday.....   NO TP, the 20# bag of rice I wanted came in (3) 5lb and (2) 2 lb bags, because that's almost all that was left....  there was other stuff unavailable as well.   We did go to the Liquor store and get a bit more than usual... LOL 

My Eldest Step daughter works at said WM, and said shelves were pretty bare last night when she left.   

Personally, I believe in having at least a couple weeks worth of food at home....

Carpenter84

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2020, 07:19:38 AM »
Weíve spent the past year trying to keep mostly fresh vegetables and meats in the house (we do freeze most meats), but we also buy fresh ready to cook meals prepared by loblaws, metro, Costco, (not WM). Theyíre super easy, quick, and quite delicious, and arenít chocked full of preservatives. No, weíre not new aged trendy folk who donít eat gluten or whatever - I have issues with weight (I can pack it on right quick...) so we try to eat decent, and I try to keep the evening snacking to a dull roar. We got NONE of those foods on Thursday...
even AvE just posted a video about calming the F down, itís gonna be okay... this is no different than any other virus thatís made itís rounds. Does anyone remember sars...? It didnít get nearly the 24h coverage.... the big difference now is the media... having the next big headline. Itís disgusting... fewer people have died from this virus than sars. And whereís the coverage over the 50,000 people who die each YEAR from regular influenza... and yet, thereís still misguided argument over the flu shot......

BAH....

Maybe send that case of corona (lol irrrrony) my way!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2020, 08:59:41 AM »
Itís all about how the media plays the drums. And how many of the public follow like sheep. Can you imagine if we really had a walking dead kinda virus.

PJB

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
Itís all about how the media plays the drums. And how many of the public follow like sheep. Can you imagine if we really had a walking dead kinda virus.

Not a new concept but I suspect this has the wheels turning in the minds of the terrorist set.

And some level of vindication for my maintaining  excessive stacks of ďjust in caseĒ ammo.   
1972 Harig Super 612

"I wants what you gots!"

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2020, 01:34:55 PM »

Hell, Jeffrey Dahmer ATE more people than what this bug has killed in the USA. I honestly don't understand what the thinking is behind all of this crazy behavior.

We always have enough dry/canned goods in the house and meat in the freezer to get us through 3 or 4 weeks in comfort, though the TP supply would run out in a week or two. If I were stocking up for a quarantine period, TP is the last thing I would worry about. If you have quarantined yourself at home, you've got plenty of time to go from the toilet to the bathtub/shower to wash your backside. Wet washcloths work too, and can be rinsed out and laundered.

It goes to show ya, most people are just like sheep. Do what the other guy does, don't use yer noggin to think things through first!

:coffee2:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »

Holy s**t!!!    Wife just got home from work.  She works in the bakery of a large grocery store in one of the Minneapolis suburbs.  That store averages $85000 per day in total sales. Thursday and Friday sales were BOTH in excess  of $215000, today was on target to go higher than that when she left for the day an hour ago.

Terry

Carpenter84

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2020, 03:29:22 PM »
There are 125 confirmed cases in Canada right now.... One person has died... One. Likely an elderly who was already ill.

39,139 influenza deaths last year in Canada.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2020, 06:16:05 PM »

This whole thing is stupid.  People are going into panic mode for no good reason. Man existed on the face of this planet for thousands of years without the luxury of toilet paper, yet now people are going bat crap crazy over the stuff. Go figure.

Terry

woodchucker

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2020, 06:51:40 PM »
many countries wipe their asses with the left hand... so you never shake someone with the left hand.

my nephew was a sniper in Iraq, they did not have tp because the local laws. so .... we sent wipes...
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

PJB

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2020, 11:01:58 AM »
Really handy to have inch and metric, internal and external thread checkers. Didnít really need them. Already have something similar. And what I have I use ALL the time in the shop. But when everything was for 10 bucks, I had to get them. The name on these is ďThread DetectiveĒ.

Very handy gizmo to have around the shop especially for maintenance mechanics.  It hangs doing nothing 99% but when you need it the first time its worth having around.   

edit- lol sorry I replyed to an old post obviously missed the date.   
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:05:37 AM by PJB »
1972 Harig Super 612

"I wants what you gots!"

PJB

What did you buy today?
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »
Ordered some more drill chucks and corresponding TTS - JT adapters for the Tormach.

Seems I never have enough drills ready to go with the diameters and height offsets already loaded in the control.  Spending time changing drills out, measuring the tool lengths, typing them in the control gets to be a pain.  Idea is to have 10-12 of the most common sizes in dedicated holders.

Shars sells these little chicom JT1 1/4" chucks for like $9 and JT2 3/8" for $14 which is crazy cheep.  Probably not uber quality but they grab tight and go round round round just fine.
Of course the Tormach end costs $24 so total per drill size setup ends up being like $35-40
This adds up fast so I buy a few here and there to spread out the pain. 

This batch I bought (3) of the 0-1/4" and (2) of the 3/8"
The pic is just some of the ones I already have the new ones should come in a few days. 

Not very exciting I know but hey its what I bought and hopefully pays dividends down the road.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:28:19 AM by PJB »
1972 Harig Super 612

"I wants what you gots!"

Carpenter84

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2020, 12:49:47 PM »
This adds up fast so I buy a few here and there to spread out the pain. 

Hey, I do the same thing with the .303 British ammo!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2020, 04:55:17 PM »
Thats like 30-06   Expensive stuff eh.

Yay UPS man came with my chucks
Finish up Swooshing all the ickys out of the garage then go down and unbox it