Author Topic: What did you buy today?  (Read 3304 times)

4GSR

Re: What did you buy today?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »
Our dogs are way due for their yearly shots.  When we do take them in to get their shots, we will ask about this food.

Again, thanks.

Ken
Ken

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »
We've got two dogs and a 22 year old diabetic cat. Granted, the dogs only weigh 20 and 30 pounds respectively, and the cat weighs 18 pounds. All are healthy (except for the feline diabetes) and lead normal dog and cat lives. They all visit the vet twice a year. Between the three of them we don't spend $100 month for food and insulin, but vet costs are not figured into that. It helps that my wife is a certified vet tech, though she no longer works in that field. She takes care of many of their needs at home that most critters end up getting done by the vet's office.

I guess I should consider myself fortunate that I don't spend what some of you guys spend on house critters. That's okay - leaves more money for shop toys.    :P
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 05:43:01 PM »
Bought my first brand new Starrett item...

Spring steel, 3/4" wide 6" rule. With 50 and 100 thou on one side and the typical 32/64th on the other. Also known as 16R graduation. I really don't care for the #4 graduations (1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64), I'm always converting it into decimal anyways.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

f350ca

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »
Nice rule.
I bought a 12 inch one (not Starrett) with decimal graduations, thought it would be great, but found when Im using a ruler fractions are easier to work with. Hardly ever use it. Theres one on the 12 inch shear as well, seams again Im working in fractions when I want to use it.
Maybe it will work out beter for you.

Greg

Carpenter84

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2020, 07:43:41 PM »
I think I'll like the decimal. Being a carpenter im very used to imperial fractions, but, tape measure fractions... I have another Starrett 6" rule, 1/2" flexible temper, (and a mitutoyo 12") all fractional. I can't stand the non tape measure style graduations. A tape measure being sub divided - like, reduced fractions with longer and shorter ticks. But the fraction rule - what the hell is 20/32...?? I wind up having to stop, think about what I just measured, or, instead of understanding what I measured I'll just transfer markings -20/32". And then I'll wind up forgetting what I measured because I didn't understand 20/32" immediately... But I damn well know and can remember 5/8"...
So, I'm thinking I'll be able to measure with the decimal and like it. I'll be able to read .625" and remember it, and be able to transfer measurements to other divices like the dro, or calipers. Making the process faster and less likely to have to remeasure again and again because my immediate memory sucks if I'm not 100% focused...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

What did you buy today?
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2020, 07:59:11 PM »
Ammo.  1000 rounds each 5.56 and 9mm.   When the stuff I like becomes available in the 1,000 round cans I buy one or two.
I should probably quit for awhile as I have enough on hand now to wear out the barrel!
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"I wants what you gots!"

DavidR8

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2020, 09:18:02 PM »
Bought some metal:
12L14
314 stainless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 12:23:49 PM »

Broke down and ordered a 10 liter ultrasonic cleaner through Amazon.  I have considered one for quite some time, but the carburetor on my walk behind snowblower is giving trouble. Right now I have to leave it fully choked to keep it running.  Time for a thorough cleaning, and an ultrasonic cleaner should be perfect for the job.

Wife also has some jewelry that could use some cleaning, and the list is growing. I suspect that once it gets here I'll keep it busy for at least a full day. 

Product review forthcoming.
Terry

chips and more

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 02:12:50 PM »
Terry a caution note: donít clean real pearls in the UC.

woodchucker

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 04:31:09 PM »

Broke down and ordered a 10 liter ultrasonic cleaner through Amazon.  I have considered one for quite some time, but the carburetor on my walk behind snowblower is giving trouble. Right now I have to leave it fully choked to keep it running.  Time for a thorough cleaning, and an ultrasonic cleaner should be perfect for the job.

Wife also has some jewelry that could use some cleaning, and the list is growing. I suspect that once it gets here I'll keep it busy for at least a full day. 

Product review forthcoming.
10L... nice. I have a small one and found it invaluable for things.   I would clean the stuff in solvent, and a brush.

blow it off.

Then stick it in the ultrasonic and always amazed at the dirt in the bottom when done.  They say you can brinnel bearings, but for 3 minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner in alcohol, I used to clean my son's skate bearings.  I didn't think three minutes would brinnel them.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »
Terry a caution note: donít clean real pearls in the UC.

What about my diamonds and sapphires??    :)

Actually, I appreciate you speaking up, I would have had no clue that pearls would be a problem.  I suspect that they more or less disintegrate?
Terry

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 08:09:37 PM »

10L... nice. I have a small one and found it invaluable for things.   I would clean the stuff in solvent, and a brush.

blow it off.

Then stick it in the ultrasonic and always amazed at the dirt in the bottom when done.  They say you can brinnel bearings, but for 3 minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner in alcohol, I used to clean my son's skate bearings.  I didn't think three minutes would brinnel them.

Hmmmm -  considering the way an ultrasonic cleaner works I wouldn't think that it would have any negative effect on bearings, but that will be an interesting experiment at some point down the road, for certain. I think I have some old wheel bearings here from my Gold Wing. I'll pop the seals out of one and leave them in the other, then run them for a 20 minute cycle and see what the results are, answering that question.

I am looking forward to having one here, especially for small stuff.

10 liter size - I did quite a bit of hunting before I decided on what to purchase. Most of them come with the digital control panel but I stumbled on some that have good, old-fashioned dials.  A rheostat to set the temp and a rotary timer. The timer only goes to 20 minutes, but if it ever craps out I can replace just the timer if need be, same goes for the temp control.  Anyway, the smallest one available with knobs instead of digital controls was a 6 liter unit, followed by a 10 and a 15 liter. The 10 liter has a pan with interior dimensions of 11" long by 10" wide and 6" deep which should be large enough to easily handle a full sized four barrel carburetor if it is disassembled.  10 liters is about 2-1/2 gallons, so it won't break the bank when filling it with water and detergent, but I am planning to use straight water most of the time. If the item being cleaned needs something stronger, and the parts are small enough, zip-lock bags or small jars containing the parts and appropriate cleaning agent could be dropped into the water in the pan so that the job can be done. I understand that there may be some loss in performance when doing this way, resulting in longer cleaning times, but it works quite well for the most part.

It should arrive this week, so next weekend will be a good time to give the acid test and write a review.
Terry

f350ca

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 08:25:13 PM »
Sounds like I bought the same one a few years ago. Same thoughts, I like a simple timer and thermostat. Its been working well. The heater takes forever to warm the tank, and it does work beter warm. I found water soluble degreaser works beter than solvent for most things, and is cheap to dump out when dirty. A glass jar or a plastic bag with solvent in the water works well too. Methyl hydrate seems to work on carburators.
Read the same thing on not cleaning bearings, the one article was from someone who tried cleaning new bearings to replace it with customer spec'd  grease. They all failed. ? I haven't tried it/

Greg

savarin

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2020, 08:32:37 AM »
I have to build some mozzie screens for the patio in the new house so I drew up a quick design, took all the sizes and profiles I need and proceeded to make the shopping list for the steel merchant.
I need to screen 2 x 6 metre sides around 2.2 metres high with a pair of bi-fold doors in each side so its a lot of metal.
I was all fired up and raring to go but when I got to the merchants at 2 pm they were closed.  :a102: >:( Went to bunnings for some 1mm x 100mm cutting disks so I at least got those.
When I got back home I realised it was a public holiday for Australia day. Doh!
I need to add some embellishments to the panels so it doesnt look like being in prison.

chips and more

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2020, 11:29:21 AM »
Iím with you. I donít like that jail bar look either.