Author Topic: spur of the moment  (Read 279 times)

savarin

spur of the moment
« on: November 03, 2019, 09:08:24 PM »
I have had the habit of buying things just on the spur of the moment.
I expect most people do this from time to time.
A couple of years ago I went out just to buy some milk, came home with a brand new car straight out the showroom.
I had thought at the time that this had to be the last time I was that silly.
But I believe I have just surpassed myself.
Two weeks ago I went out to buy some dog food but bought a house instead.
We have to move from our highset house as neither of us is getting any younger so climbing stairs with loads of shopping is becoming harder every year.
So now we have to downsize and thats a very difficult process at the best of times but for this amount stuff from 35 years in the same house its virtually an impossible task.
Theres no rush to move so we have up to 12 months to complete this difficult task but if I have to go without shed time for that length I will go nuts.
Thankfully there is a 6x6 metre workshop to move my gear straight into but still a fair bit to do to get everything up to the standard we want.
I really need to dismantle the lathe and clean and fully readjust everything so now I may as well wait till its in its new position.
I'm trying to work out whether I'm excited, anxious, panicked, or just thinking "What the hell have I just done"

grumpygator

Re: spur of the moment
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »
C,
 Personally, after 39 years in the same place, I would rather take an ass whipping then move. That being said moving to a single-story house make sense to me. Plus a big workshop. I would imagine moving the hydroponics will be a chore. But knowing you, you got a plan in mind.
  Take some pictures and keep us in the loop.
  "Your Mate in the States"
         **G** 

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:09:50 AM »
I think we've all made spur of the moment purchases, but I've never done anything to your level, Charles, so my hat is off to you!!

Like Gator said, keep us posted! The move may be a lot of work, but I'll bet that in the end you'll be glad you did it.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

chips and more

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:53:28 AM »
Good for you! You only live once! And it looks like you understand how to live and realize how your life will change through the years. My wife went shopping for toilet paper once and came back with a new carÖtrue story.

Carpenter84

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
Jesus Murphey, my wife A: has never, and would never do that.
And B: would chop me into little bits and pieces if I didn't tell her if I was buying something big.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »
Wow.  Congrats.    Iím going to wager you two had at least discussed the eventuality of a move to a more suitable place and agreed in principal on some general locations and attributes.   If not Iím with Shaun holy snap.  Still pretty ball-sy  move tho!
The new place tick a lot of boxes then?
Story here I bought my lathe off eBay spent several K and didnít discuss or get permission from my wife first.   It was pretty ugly for a few weeks.   I honestly felt super guilty at the time but looking back I am glad I did.   Never seen one since in the same size/features/condition since and That was 2005
I want what yooz gots

Carpenter84

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 03:20:02 PM »
I've tried that a few times... Now all I hear when I say I want to buy a rare machine is "you ALWAYS say you'll never see another one as long as you live..." Shame she doesn't understand there's more than one type of machine...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

jpigg55

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 05:33:45 PM »
Shawn, sounds like you might need another addition to the new shop.
Convince the wife you NEED to buy a safe to keep remote copies of computer files and stuff in case of a fire or other disaster.
Be a nice place to stash some of that cash side job assets for EMERGENCY purchases.
                                   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Carpenter84

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 06:41:41 PM »
She rarely gets all my cash.... She doesn't know she doesn't, but that's fine.
She gets my whole pay cheque each week, that's enough.

I swear, now that I've written that, she will finally come here and read what I write. Lol. (I highly doubt it)... But if she does.... She's the best wife a guy could ask for!!! Please disregard the previous!!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 06:45:32 PM »
To be fair, the last few machines I wanted to buy would have resulted in driving all day to get, which worries her. When I tried to jump on that 20" shaper 6 hours away in the summer, she knew she couldn't gripe about the cost, the guy wanted $50! So she complained about the traveling. Lol but I weeded out of her later that she was concerned about me being so far away. How's a guy argue about that? Still... That WAS a machine for a price I'm unlikely to ever encounter again... Shapers are real rare here, and when they turn up, guys want gold prices for basket jobs....
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »
Without going into a multihour search to try and find the hidden gems, this is the only shaper within an 8 hour drive. Mississauga is about an hour and a half away... Expensive!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/mississauga-peel-region/metal-shaper/1466957249

Edit: uhhg. It looks like he face milled the ram ways. I certainly hope he didn't leave them like that...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:53:27 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 07:47:11 PM »
Edit: uhhg. It looks like he face milled the ram ways. I certainly hope he didn't leave them like that...

If I saw the pics right, that is a Atlas shaper.  Atlas did not scrape any of their ways on the shaper or the little mill they built.  I acquired one of the horizontal mill many years ago.  Nothing was scraped, you could still see the mill marks.  Once I got finished with it, everything was scraped and fitted.  It left my place in better shape than it did when it left the factory in it's day.
Ken

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 07:47:11 PM »