Author Topic: Wooden Screw Threading Machine  (Read 2074 times)

Carpenter84

Re: Wooden Screw Threading Machine
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2020, 04:02:12 PM »
All well and good, but it appears i am now sitting on this thing for the next two weeks at a minimum as courier will not be considered essential service... Great...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »
Thatís interesting? In Calif, we are shelter in place, but still can do mail, go grocery shopping, take a walk, get meds, order and get take food, go frigging nuts with cabin fever. Sure is quiet around hereÖno traffic noiseÖkinda creepy.

f350ca

« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2020, 04:53:51 PM »
For straight forward fabricating in metal or wood, 20 minutes a part gives an incredibly accurate time estimate. BUT when precision machining enters into it I never give a time quote, only an estimate. All in all you came out on top Shawn. Just have to think of the experience you gained.
Ray, I was happy to help, have to say a bit of a learning experience for me too. Had never cut a thread that coarse before. Found out you couldn't get to full depth in one pass, had to step over and rough the width then finish the bottom of the V

Greg

RayH

« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2020, 04:57:33 PM »
All well and good, but it appears i am now sitting on this thing for the next two weeks at a minimum as courier will not be considered essential service... Great...

That seems strange. Some people get meds via delivery services.
UPS is open for business in the USA.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/service-alerts.page
Ray

Carpenter84

« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2020, 09:37:39 PM »
UPS is still delivering. Guy should have it on the 30th.

But, it's strange.... Huh... Seems, empty.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2020, 08:08:23 AM »
Damn Shawn,

Your work bench looks nice compared to mine!  I haven't seen the top of mine since I built it three years ago..... :03:

chips and more

« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2020, 10:46:06 AM »
That gave a chuckle! I havenít seen the top of my work bench either since built. Itís like a magnetic crap collector. About 22 feet long and only 6 sq/inís for a work areaÖjeez :41:

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2020, 11:50:15 AM »
Sigh.....   I don't really have to say it, do I??   My bench?   Here is what the neighbor says about my bench:   :85:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

woodchucker

« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2020, 12:12:44 PM »
yea, I think we all try to keep it clean. Oh what the hell am I talking about... I fail too.

But I work hard to clean it up, but I never seem to get there... and when I do get it somewhat clean it takes no time at all to become cluttered.

I always seem to work in the clutter.

For WOODWORKING I do clean up and work. I can't build while it's getting all dinged up.  But my other benches are total disasters.

FYI listening to a new Bob Dylan song, saw it on google news.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/27/822413049/bob-dylan-releases-epic-new-song-murder-most-foul
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2020, 12:39:37 PM »
Lol, all you guys suck then. It bothers me immensely when my bench and floors are a mess. I cant stand walking on crud (hence the mats), and I can't stand spending 25 minutes looking for the tool I JUST HAD instead of working. Every single day I make the guys clean up (after me 😁) on the job sites. I don't like things being a mess for me and I don't like leaving a mess for the home owner.

My bench doesn't always look this tidy... I wanted to work on my tool post riser but the garage was covered in sawdust from the screw machine testing. I don't like sawdust on my benches where I'm trying to work. Same goes for the woodshop. No sawdust on the benches... Air gun or vacuum is always within arm's reach. Frankly, I don't like messes at all... They stress me out. It's not an efficient way to work. Especially if it's a small space. I'm certainly no neat freak, you've all seen pictures of my garage in true form.....

I'm currently redoing a bathroom/shower. It's a fairly small foot print. Just finished framing, electrical, insulated and bagged now. But yesterday Matt (our young guy) was here (wayyy too small a room for two guys) and he had crap alllllllllllll over the place... He's still pretty new. I haven't moulded that clay fully yet...
I spent about 6 minutes tripping over everything conceivable while trying to pull a circuit before I just dropped everything I was holding, left the room, told him to stop what he was doing and tidy up his stuff, and I wasn't coming back until it was tidy.
I left, had a (liquid) lunch to calm my nerves and take a breather and went back. He was struggling with some tricky drywall, I walked him through it and we had a pleasant rest of the day.
Our guys know how I work, know I'm short fused, very direct to the point when I speak to them, they know I expect a lot... But not more than I am capable of, myself. I would never expect something of someone I wouldn't expect of myself. But I'm also the first to buy lunch, buy Friday summer beers (if work site reasonable), first to compliment a good job - but also first to correct or educate when things aren't working... someone people need to struggle for a bit to recognise a problem, but time is important. If the struggling is taking too long, I will interject. No one benefits when someone gets wrapped up in their frustration and goes blind to their situation.

I digress... Off topic.

Ya. I cleaned my bench.
The tool post riser is coming along. Need to make some t-nuts for my crossslide.
(No, nothing is fastened down or tightened yet, dry fit. Hence the floating tool post.) The peg up top is for mounting an indicator. I'll make a clamp that fits there.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »
That's slick, see the shop is up and running even better.

Nice

woodchucker

« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2020, 05:59:16 PM »
 very Renzetti like.
Looks good. You going to pin the toolpost?

Or put an L bracket around it.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

savarin

« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2020, 07:57:47 PM »
I have a serious problem with tidyness, I blame my working career.
I always had numerous flunkies tidying up after me so never learned how to be tidy  :03: At least thats my excuse.

Carpenter84

« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2020, 09:42:36 PM »
Flunkies! Wow, Charles. Savage! Hahaha.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB