Author Topic: Balance Arbor for SG  (Read 249 times)

Uglydog

Balance Arbor for SG
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:44:34 PM »
Finally getting ready to think about spinning up this DoAll 6x18 G1 SG.
Trying to locate appropriate oils/lube and flush the system. Lots of water and floating particles in the tank.

The purpose of this post....
Years ago I traded something I didn't need for a fancy SG balance stand.
But I'll need a balance arbor to actually use it.
I'm planning to make the arbor.
I'm guessing that it should be ground after turning.
I need to finish thinking through the set up. But believe that I can use my TCG to accomplish grinding.
Other than concentricity and a nice fit to the wheel hubs. Does anyone know of any other obstacles I might encounter?
It shouldn't need to be hardened.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Daryl
MN

4GSR

Re: Balance Arbor for SG
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 07:32:26 AM »
Daryl,

I've never pre-balanced a wheel yet for my SG.   I can see a need on larger grinders, over 8" in diameter.  Most wheels newer wheels you buy today are fairly well balanced from the factory.  I've never had a wheel show a out of balance situation when brought up to speed. Not saying don't do it, just my two cents worth.  Nothing wrong with doing so if you wish.  Definitely "ring" a wheel before mounting and make sure to use the paper "blotters" when mounting wheels. 
There's lots of different grinding fluids out there to be bought and used.  Most of my grinding is done dry.  Some, I use a spray mist and I do have a flood coolant system on my SG that I haven't used yet. There is a grinding fluid I bought off of Amazon in a gallon jug, that gets mixed with water, that I use with the mister.  It's sold under the name of "Trim"  just have to look for the one recommended for grinding machines.
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 08:51:03 AM »
I would think the arbor definetly needs case hardening.

you have many options for a balance arbor.
a sliding weight, either captured by the outer ring, or external to the outer ring.
screws in the outer ring.

or  what set off a storm on the old place.. which I used on my bench grinder and really did work well.
I think this is the link. https://youtu.be/Lci46fahHKc 
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Uglydog

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 01:44:46 PM »
I'll check to  if I have any 4140. I'll consider quenching in well used motor oil, then grind.
I'll watch the video tonight.
I've never used a SG. So the learning curve is huge.

Daryl
MN

Uglydog

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 06:33:49 AM »
Does any one know the difference between a truing armor and a balancing arbor?

Also, I found this an interesting site: https://www.kineticprecision.com/all-about-balancing-rings

Daryl
MN

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 12:47:42 PM »
Nope, not off hand.

I like that balancing ring to use with the smaller arbors.  And $57 not too bad for price. 
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 12:53:13 PM »
Nope, not off hand.

I like that balancing ring to use with the smaller arbors.  And $57 not too bad for price.

I'm not a fan of how that ring attaches. I would like it better if it would replace the screw on ring. That looks like it could fly off causing more damage than a small hand grenade.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

4GSR

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 01:10:01 PM »
Nope, not off hand.

I'm not a fan of how that ring attaches. I would like it better if it would replace the screw on ring. That looks like it could fly off causing more damage than a small hand grenade.

There's no way it can come off and fly across the shop.  This is mounted on the back side of the adapter.  If it did come loose, it would be trapped on the spindle and probably cause havoc.  With the three point grip on the ID of the ring to the OD of the adapter, it's not going to come off or loosen.
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 05:20:46 PM »
for some reason at work, I was not able to see all the pics. I see.
but when looking at the ring, seems like it's off balance to start with. where the logo is, is solid, the opposite side should have the same solid area.  Or eliminate the log or put it on the side. Make your own do it better.

Note the two “bumps” in the bore of the balancing ring.
Jeff

4GSR

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 09:51:30 PM »
Jeff,

That ring is missing a set screw hole that would be in the solid area.  The set screw would secure it to the wheel.  Look at the other pictures, you will notice one with the set screw installed.  CashMasters should not have posted that picture with the missing set screw hole.
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 10:03:35 PM »
got it. ok. that would balance it out.

Still like the idea of replacing the screw on flange.

This one would not work on my Delta.. not the right type of wheel arbor.  I like the screw idea though. it makes a simple balancing jig. Just grind your screws to balance.
Jeff