Author Topic: What is it  (Read 144 times)

pep

What is it
« on: March 26, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
UPS delivers

Jake Parker

Re: What is it
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 07:11:49 AM »
Cross over pipe for your duelexaust system.
Is it stainless?

jpigg55

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 07:56:54 AM »
"GUMBY"

Looks a bit peakid  though, might have the COVID.  :)
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

PJB

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 08:58:07 AM »
Im with Jake.  Some sort of hi perf exhaust upgrade for a car.   
"I wants what you gots!"

woodchucker

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:12:16 AM »
sexy looking  !GH

I'm curious why the expense of cutting the stepped slit in the ends, vs just a plain slit?

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

chips and more

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:29:01 AM »
Maybe X-pipe exhaust?

PJB

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 11:14:09 AM »
sexy looking  !GH

I'm curious why the expense of cutting the stepped slit in the ends, vs just a plain slit?

Maybe Leak path?
Hard to tell from photo but based on the rolled edges Id say notches  were punched on a horn press.   Pretty quick operation.  But every small thing adds up including maintaining the tooling.   
Nowdays that stuff gets banged out on tube lasers
"I wants what you gots!"

pep

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »
X pipe it is, Roush part ban clamp covers the notch. Not seen that before thinking about it. Believe it's an improvement over the common single slit. Magnet says not stainless.

woodchucker

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »
X pipe it is, Roush part ban clamp covers the notch. Not seen that before thinking about it. Believe it's an improvement over the common single slit. Magnet says not stainless.

oh that's bad... you want stainless.
it will last and last.
but then again, I bought a stainless coupler (braided/stranded) from the header to the pipes and it rotted in 3 years.. so your mileage may vary.. I was disappointed.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

GNAP

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 02:48:45 PM »
Some stainless is magnetic, a magnet will stick to the exhaust on the Chevy Malibu and it stainless. Rotted out 3 mufflers, original pipe
jack

pep

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
I have heard the same about stainless and magnets, makes me wonder why that is. There a  stainless coating out there somewhere ?

X pipe is going on even if it rotted every 30k, LOL not thinking that will happen. Maybe gas type and octane are in play regarding some of that.

34_40

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 09:07:59 PM »
I have heard the same about stainless and magnets, makes me wonder why that is. There a  stainless coating out there somewhere ?

X pipe is going on even if it rotted every 30k, LOL not thinking that will happen. Maybe gas type and octane are in play regarding some of that.

My memory says the more nickle in the alloy, the less magnetic.  You could have Jet Hot do a ceramic coating on the inside if you'd care to, but it would depend on the part cost to decide if it was worth it.  imho.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

pep

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 10:25:14 PM »
While I agree with the Jet Hot suggestion, not concerned. It is a Roush part the quality is there, welds are real clean.

I've only ever seen mufflers rot, not pipes. Pipes do not hold water like a muffler or resonator will, cause of the chambers.

The car getting the pipe has 200 miles on the clock, time to stop being a tease and show the car.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:28:33 PM by pep »

PJB

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 12:39:33 AM »
Cool car   

400 stainless is magnetic.  We use lots of it for its heat resistance so do exhaust makers. 
"I wants what you gots!"

Jake Parker

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 12:41:11 AM »
Is her name Sally?