Author Topic: Summers coming.  (Read 185 times)

Carpenter84

Summers coming.
« on: May 23, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »
The ice cream man cometh, and the ice cream man giveth.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

Re: Summers coming.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 03:01:35 PM »
oh man, I would love some of that.
you better tell him to hide it
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

f350ca

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »
A friend of mine, geologist by profession, decided to buy an ice cream shop a couple of years ago. Last year bought an ice cream machine to make his own. This year he went to a trade show in Italy and bought a larger one. Requires 55 amps 220 volt three phase. I told him about rotary phase converters and my Phase Perfect solid state one. Decided to go that route, it requires a 20hp unit. Now he needs to get 400 amp service into the building to run it. Its water cooled so were going to tap into an old well and run a closed cooling loop into it.
A lot of work for ice cream, not sure it isn't a hobby tax write off.
The worst of it is Im somewhat lactose intolerant so can't eat much op it, but his home made is good.

Greg

woodchucker

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »
same here, lactose intolerant, but if I eat it early enough I might be able to sleep.  To late in the day and forget bout it.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

jpigg55

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 08:31:59 AM »
Any of you lactose intolerant types ever try using raw milk ?
I've heard that many people who are lactose intolerant are not affected when drinking raw milk of eating homemade ice cream.
The difference is that it's not pasteurized. Evidently, there is an enzyme in raw milk that helps your body digest it much easier, but it is destroyed when heated above a certain temperature, like during the pasteurization process.
So many people who are lactose intolerant are able to consume raw milk and, supposedly, raw goat milk is even better than raw cows milk.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

woodchucker

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:37:44 AM »
no, never have. I drink my coffee black, so I don't need it then.

not sure I want to get a cow just to have fresh milk   :D
Jeff

ddickey

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 04:56:42 PM »
Raw milk is good stuff. Super healthy. I would only ever drink raw milk from organic farms.

jpigg55

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 09:43:44 AM »
Don't always have to buy the cow if you can find someone in your area who does and willing to sell you some.
We have a couple Saanen dairy goats that we milk. I tend to like the goat milk better than cows as goat milk tends to be naturally homogenous so you don't get the cream separating out nearly as much (somewhat breed dependent), although we have a cream separator as well.
One of the projects I've had in the works is trying to design and make a small, portable vacuum surge milker for milking the goats. So far, being able to get the valving designed right has been kicking my backside. We have an old surge type belly milker for cows, but it's way to bulky, large, and heavy to make it worth using for the goats. This also necessitates having to use a much larger capacity vacuum pump to operate it.
If anyone doesn't know what a Surge Milker is, here's a video of one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZoNY98OMI
In the early days, using the intake of a tractor or engine was how many farmers operated these milkers since electricity wasn't available in rural areas. This is also why you will often find a plug valve that was OEM equipment on old tractors.

Another benefit to goats is they prefer weeds and brush over grass. Keeps the pasture clean from it.

Carpenter84

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 10:30:09 AM »
Really? Is this actually a thing - drinking raw, unpasteurized milk?
Its pretty dangerous these days with the whole schlew of harmful bacteria that can exist in raw milk. The CDC, FDA, CFIA, Health Canada, all highly recommend against it. In fact the sale of raw milk is banned in many many places.

Sorry for being "that guy", I was just quite surprised to read all this. I'll consider the buzz harshed, and I'll be on my way...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

jpigg55

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 02:29:34 PM »
All the same type groups here give the same warnings and even some of the States outlaw the sale of raw milk. Some even make it illegal to consume your own.
All I can say is I have a very fond memory of making homemade ice cream from whole, raw cows milk, farm fresh chicken eggs, and honey straight from the hive.
Man-O-man was that ever delicious !

PJB

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 03:18:03 PM »
Speaking of “raw milk” any of you ever try the human kind?   Eons ago when the wife was breastfeeding the kids I did some persuading a got some right out of the spigot .     Super sweet and you could tell full of fat.   
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"I wants what you gots!"

PJB

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 03:19:28 PM »
Im sure it was illegal consumption of unpasteurized dairy
1972 Harig Super 612

"I wants what you gots!"

Carpenter84

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 09:08:30 PM »
Ok ok... Let's not get sarcastic...
Obviously our mothers don't have e-coli...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

jpigg55

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 07:23:24 AM »
To each their own, but I've drank raw milk on and off most of my life and never had any issues or sickness from it.
One thing I can say. If you put a glass of raw milk next to a processed one from the store, the one from the store looks like chalk colored water.

PJB

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
Assuming its from a cow you know and handled properly its probably way healthier.  I know milk from the stores is loaded with all kinds of antibiotics and hormones.   I rarely drink the stuff.   Sparingly on a bowl of cereal a few times a week
1972 Harig Super 612

"I wants what you gots!"