Author Topic: Excelsior 20" drill press.  (Read 354 times)

woodchucker

Re: Excelsior 20" drill press.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 09:26:38 PM »
when you say feed mechanism, are you talking a way to move the quill down?
Or an auto feed mechanism?

I don't think you'll need the auto feed if that's what you are talking about. The quill handle is the handle there for sure, it's adjustable in each of the slots, but I think you know that.

She looks really good. better than I was expecting.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

savarin

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 09:29:54 PM »
Old iron has an inherent beauty in itself as far as I'm concerned.Even better when its all back to original.I'm following this.

Carpenter84

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 09:56:46 PM »
 If it's supposed to have a feature or operate a certain way, that's how I want it to operate. Even if I don't use it. I won't be happy with the restoration if I don't wind up restoring all of it.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »
Wow a line shaft driven machine.   Thats an oldie for sure.  Maybe get a hit and miss engine to power it that would be cool
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"I wants what you gots!"

Carpenter84

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 12:27:25 PM »
As unreasonable and inconvenient as that would be, that would be really cool. I wish we had old stuff like that around here. Sad truth is there just aren't that many old barns left without driving quite a ways. I haven't had a lot of time to look the drill over to find all it's markings.
What I have found so far is Excelsior 20 M400. I'm really hoping to find a date stamp or serial number. Unless the M400, stamped on a brass plate, is just that. But me thinks it's a catalogue or inventory number from the original factory.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 12:31:39 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 07:23:41 PM »
Shawn did you see this thread over on the “other” site?
Looks exactly like yours.
Search for
“Saved from the scrap heap - Now what to do with it?”
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"I wants what you gots!"

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 09:35:40 AM »
Shawn did you see this thread over on the “other” site?
Looks exactly like yours.
Search for
“Saved from the scrap heap - Now what to do with it?”

Hey guys, I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but it's okay to mention Hobby-Machinist here if you wish. I don't see the need to refer to them any differently than we do other forums such as Practical Machinist or Home Shop Machinist. Yes, there have been issues in the past, but we have all moved beyond that. Most of the folks at those other forums are good people with much the same interests as us. As long as we are speaking of them factually and in a respectful manner I see no problem with mentioning them by name, or even linking to them. If anybody over at H-M has a problem with it, well, that's their problem, not ours.

If anyone feels that we need to discuss it further, we can certainly do so, but it should be in a separate thread.

:coffee2:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 02:46:07 PM »
I checked out that thread after you mentioned it. There's zero information in the thread and it's 2 years old. It seems someone new light have resurrected an old thread.

I've been too busy working to spend any time even looking at the drill yet. I want to start tearing it down and derusting it. Inspect what the bearings are made from. I'll start a new thread in the appropriate section once I start on it. This thread was just on the sale of the drill.
Once I have a bit of time to start digging into the drill, I'll start taking it apart, but also look for any documentation. Drawings, patent drawings, any manuals or rebuild guides. I'd really like to see what was involved with the feed system.
And I have questions about the bearings. Ie, if they ARE babbitt, should I try to figure out how to redo them or just change them to, say, bronze? Or even modify to accept roller bearings, etc. I'm sure it'll be interesting discussion.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 04:06:39 PM »

Babbitt bearings require a constant oil bath to keep them lubricated and cool, and drip feed would probably not be enough, especially on the spindle due to its vertical orientation. Cast iron bearings are probably more likely, especially back in that day and age, with bronze running a close second. I suspect that you might find no replaceable bearings at all, with the casting being originally bored out to fit the shaft. Boring out and installing a sleeve bearing once the casting was worn was a common practice back then.

If it were mine, and I found Babbitt bearings, I would probably switch them out for bronze. Babbitt bearings are very susceptible to damage whereas bronze and cast iron will take a lot of abuse. Refitting for roller bearings would be overkill, but ball bearings might be worth some consideration, though I would prefer to keep it close to original if possible. It will all depend on what you find when you get it apart.
Terry

Carpenter84

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 05:57:25 PM »
Thanks Terry!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2020, 08:12:16 PM »

I found this video of a drill press just like yours. I see a grease cup for one shaft, but no drip feed oilers or oil cups of any kind.  I did see a few holes that might be oil points.  With the lack of active oiling, I don't see any way that Babbitt bearings would hold up on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3S6tALSktg

Terry

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2020, 10:31:36 PM »

I was over on Vintage Machinery looking for something else but also found this for you. Enjoy!

Terry

Carpenter84

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 05:55:49 AM »
No no no no, this isn’t good! I’m getting excited about rebuilding this, I’m already imagining ways to make some parts! I’m not ready yet! I have no time yet!! Oh god!!

Thanks terry, that’s great. I especially love the “Care saves wear”!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2020, 09:46:03 PM »
Have patience and avoid rushing into such a project and you will be rewarded with a fine piece of machinery and great satisfaction in your efforts.  Or, as Master Yoda would say, “Patience you must have my young Padawan.”

The whole thing was to point out that there are only two bearings in the parts list.
F-11 - Spindle Sleeve Bearing
F-24 - Feed Shaft Bearing

F-17  and  F-18  are Long and Short Caps for the "top bearings" which support the top shaft. From the looks of it the shaft just rides directly on the cast iron of the frame, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, the good news is that it may not be as complex a machine as you first thought, and, you can get the existing parts working first and have a usable drill press, then worry about the power feed afterward.

As for the "Care Saves Wear" statement, nothing is more true about machinery of any kind.

Terry