Author Topic: Machine levelling epoxy  (Read 116 times)

Carpenter84

Machine levelling epoxy
« on: June 26, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
I built a giant extremely heavy steel table for my lathe in the new shop. I'm going to shim the lathe level before bolting it down but I want to fill the void left by the shims with epoxy. I know Moglice is the preferred product but with the world the way it is currently it's way too expensive to bring up from the states, and my various industrial wholesalers don't have access to it. Are there known alternatives?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:22:41 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

Re: Machine levelling epoxy
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:30:03 PM »
I built a giant extremely heavy steel table for my lathe in the new shop. I'm going to shim the lathe level before bolting it down but I want to fill the void left by the shims with epoxy. I know Moglice is the preferred product but with the world the way it is currently it's way too expensive to bring up from the states, and my various industrial wholesalers don't have access to it. Are there known alternatives?

you are shimming.. that's all you need. No need for moglice.
if you are looking to fill the gap during shimming. wax the bottom of your lathe supports. That way you can take it apart later.
you can use plumbers epoxy just knead it put it down, and pull the base down. Do it quickly. It really gets nice and hard.
Otherwise you can also use body putty, get some bondo (fresh), if you want a longer working time mix in less hardner, or keep the area cool. For bondo, the wax won't fully work, instead put it on wax paper when setting it down.you can remove the excess once everything sets up.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 07:32:16 PM »
I want it epoxied so i can securely bolt the lathe down and have the 700lb table add rigidity to the lathe.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:32:01 AM »
Just grout it in with typical Quikrete grout. Thats what we used to use on the large heavy machines I used to work on.  Ken

mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:50:15 AM »
I'd second Ken.....  The Turbo machinery I design, the baseplates are grouted with quickrete to the foundation(other than the anchor bolts into the foundation)

Carpenter84

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »
Seriously...

I literally just watched an Instagram video from Robin Renzetti - the man is a genius in the KISS methods. Where I generally think of the most complicated methods to get a job done, he can find the most simplistic method to achieve what you're looking for. It always amazes me. Even tho it's dumb simple...

This is exactly one of those times...

What do we use when setting a steel post on a footing pad for a steel beam (structure)? .... Non shrink grout... That's it. Then bolt it down tight once cured. It takes all the load and vibration of an entire structure above.

My only issue with the grout is it's generally mixed like a dry sand then tooled in a 2" gap. I'm likely looking at a 1/2" gap at MOST... However, I can manage.

Once again, ken. Big thanks...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 08:37:52 AM »
Should be able to get grout without sand in it.  Again, it's been years since I've used any.  Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:58 AM »
Sakrete has several different types of non-shrink - all have machine leveling/sole plates in their application lists.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.