Author Topic: Help with TECO L510 Inverter wiring  (Read 257 times)

kvt85

Help with TECO L510 Inverter wiring
« on: July 30, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »
Ok,   I'm not good with figuring out wiring, or what I need for it.
I have a mill, that I want to put the TECO L510 on.   Want to use push buttons,   Forward,  Reverse, E stop button.   Pot for speed control, 

Push the one button to go Forward, one button to go reverse one button that will act as stop that will stay locked out until you manually set it,   Like an emergency stop button.

Know I will need the 5K pot,
switches but have no idea where to get them.   

If you can help me,   Tell me where to hook what, I can follow directions.   Can proved a copy of the manual etc. 

It will be 220 single in  and 3 phase 220 out.   

Ken

Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

Carpenter84

Re: Help with TECO L510 Inverter wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 07:39:31 PM »
Push buttons can be momentary normally open push buttons. Electrical wholesalers or eBay. Usually the instructions are pretty clear how to wire and program the VFD.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

jpigg55

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »
I found this video that might be of some help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQKPtf7stiw

Amazon is a good place to shop for electrical components as well. Just make sure the Pot & switches/buttons are rated for the voltage and current that the VFD uses for the control circuits.

Depending on what type of controls you want. Do you want a single switch for rotation direction select ? A simple 3 position DTDP switch would work just fine and would probably be the best solution to prevent accidentally closing both FWD/REV circuits at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:47:04 PM by jpigg55 »
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Carpenter84

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 09:04:02 PM »
The VFD control wiring is 24v usually. And cannot cause harm by pushing both buttons at once. You cannot interrupt the 3ph feed from the VFD to the motor. The wires have to come out of the vfd's output and go directly to the motor. No fuses, no switches, no accessory devices, nothing. Or the VFD won't work (likely burn out). You remotely control the vfd's functions via the low voltage control wiring.
In the booklet it'll be the X1, X2, X3, X4, (etc), and COM terminals. Then you go through the programs to designate those X terminals to a specific functions. Make sure to change the program settings from front panel control to remote control. Same with the pot settings - from panel pot to the 5v/10v analog control or whatever it is.
Read the book it came with. It explains everything (if it's north american), if it's chinese, it'll be a bit more muddy. In which case, I have 4 Chinese vfd's - all remotely controlled. Very simple wiring.
Ask me specific questions, I can help.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

kvt85

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 05:52:31 AM »
Thank you all for the quick responses.   I will try to look for parts, I had originally thought that the buttons might need to be diff, kinda like what is on my lathe VFD (someone else wired) where you push it in, and it ops back out and stays on, until you push the stop button.   And the stop button is one of those safety things where you have to turn it a little and it pops back out then you can either push the forward or reverse button to start it again.    or would a 3 position switch  be better,   more like the original switches on where on position is forward, then stop then  last for reverse.
I have found the 5k pots,

I want to mount the VFD in an enclosure then just have the buttons/switch on the head or somewhere so I can reach them easily.  (I'm kinda short and have fun reaching up high at times)   
Ken in SA TX

Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

jpigg55

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 08:02:56 AM »
Shawn, from reading your post, it sounds like the VFD control logic has a "seal-in" feature allowing the use of momentary push buttons vs closed-in contact buttons or switches.
Am I understanding you correctly ?

The control logic power must use a single tap inverter transformer, assuming the 24v control power is DC and not AC.
I'm in the process of re-organizing my shop to make room for my surface grinder, which has a small 3 phase motor. Everything else I have is single phase. While I have a rotary phase converter that I got with the grinder, one of these just may be a better option, given the limited room I have.
I really wouldn't need the variable frequency speed control, but, given the price, having a small converter than can be tucked away inside the base cabinet would be nice.

Carpenter84

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 10:16:49 AM »
That's what momentary switches are. They're not latching - normal push button. And the stop button can be whatever you want it to be. But the switch mode required is "normally open".
A 3 position switch would also work fine.

I have both setups. My mill is a 3 pos SW with a speed pot, and my lathe is a whole schlew of push buttons.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
The control circuitry is all integrated. Couldn't tell you how it operates. Likely a bunch of transistors. But the wiring diagrams are written in the VFD booklet

For reference I've attached a generic Google image of a VFD wiring diagram. The control terminals are on the left labeled "X#". They're single control leads with a common across the lot. Those are all individually programmable to do a myriad of functions including stop/start/fwd/rev/reset/jog/etc etc etc.

This drawing is pretty complicated compared to most in the booklet.

The pot is also on the lower left.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

kvt85

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 06:39:28 AM »
Here is the drawing from my book,   it almost makes it look like closed circuits on mine.

Ken in SA TX

Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

jpigg55

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 08:03:51 AM »

Carpenter84

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »
No they'd be open.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
Ken,

The L510 there I sold you was hooked up using a three position rotary switch I bought of Amazon.  I think I have a spare one here or find the listing and send to you by email or even post here.  The switch was around $15 shipped to my doorstep.
Still have the same setup but with the next size larger L510 VFD.  Makes a big difference when you thought the motor was 2HP is really a 3HP motor.

Edit:  Here's the link to the w\switch I used.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1L7U0M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  The VFD doesn't care if the switch is momentary or latched in.  I set up all of mine to be latched in.  Ken

That's great!!! the switch is not available.  They show others that should work!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:03:55 PM by 4GSR »
Ken

kvt85

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 08:20:02 PM »
Thanks,   Have it working off the front panel for right this min.  Also looking at enclosure and where to mount things. 

Will have to look and see,   found a 5K pot for it.   
Figure it will take a while to get it up and running yet. 

Ken in SA TX

Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

jpigg55

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 08:39:36 PM »
Just do a search on Amazon for "Project Box". Tons of options in all sizes and easy to mount switches and/or buttons.

kvt85

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »
One of my problems was looking at the wrong dimension so thought I needed a box a couple of inches deeper than i do.   
Now I have to go out and see what I have in my shed as I may have one already.

Ken
Ken in SA TX

Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill