Author Topic: Large Capacity Steady Rest for my 14" Lathe  (Read 717 times)

4GSR

Re: Large Capacity Steady Rest for my 14" Lathe
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 08:20:40 PM »
Been busy with real work this week and last.  Finally got all of the machine work done to the upper and lower steady rest halves.  Just have to make a block that the lower half mounts to and gets mounted to the lathe bed.  Be a little fitting work to do there.
Went ahead and started blanking out the jaws getting them ready to cut the slots in them.

4GSR

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 02:45:05 PM »
Well, I have about 75% of all of the parts made, all of the purchased parts are here, it's starting to look like something.  Here's some pictures of progress this past two weeks.  Hope by tomorrow night have one together to show.  Ken

4GSR

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 06:32:00 PM »
Well, this is about as good as it is going to get for this week.  I still have a couple of parts to make and one that part that needs more threads cut on the parts, to complete the assembly.  It will have to wait until next weekend as I will be out of town this week.
The capacity of this steady rest is from 4" to 8" OD, give or take a little.  Enjoy!

Carpenter84

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 07:15:04 PM »
Did you use bearings as the work holding?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »
Looks like he used needle bearing rollers (cam followers)  to me.

But I have been wrong before...

:coffee2:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

4GSR

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 08:55:44 PM »
Terry is correct, they are camroller needle type bearings.  You can use just about any bearing you want, I find the cam roller bearings to work good to me.  It's what I was raised on using by my dad.  I've built one other steady rest for a smaller lathe many years ago using cam roller bearings. Next to this bearing, used to be a Timken double roll bearing that had a heavy duty outer race with heavy duty shields installed to retain grease.  The one's I used to use on heavy duty steady rest were about 4-3/4" in diameter.  Also had some that were 3" OD.  They were made originally for the steel industry for edge guiding materials being rolled or after they were rolled.  They made them in sizes down to around 1-1/2" in diameter.  Nice thing about cam roller bearings, they are available in diameters from 1/2" and up to around 8", with a hole or with a stud mount.  I've used them in diameters up to 4" with studs and without.  Won't go into details what it was used for now maybe later.  The smaller cam roller bearings are fairly inexpensive to buy and use. the one's I'm using here came from eBay for about $11 apiece and free shipping!  Anyways, so much on bearings.  Enjoy!

Carpenter84

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 02:43:00 AM »
And the great divide between a roller bearing and a brass/bronze bearing.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 12:22:38 PM »
A little more progress..............

Have the lower half completed as shown in the picture.  Have an alignment issue with the adjustment screw on the top half.  I missed it by almost .030".  Have to make a slight adjustment to the plate that holds the adjusting nut.  The last two pictures show the sub assembly of the adjusting nut to the plate with a spiral lock ring, medium duty.  They are for a 1/2" shaft and my fingers are almost not small enough to install them!  With little bitty flat blade screw driver, I managed to get them wrapped around the post and installed. Last picture is a shot of the second set of roller jaws ready to install on the second steady rest that I'm building for my 15" Sheldon lathe. 

I won't be steady rest poor after this!!!!!

kvt85

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 09:41:56 AM »
Looking good,   
 They are for a 1/2" shaft and my fingers are almost not small enough to install them
I was going to say,  Small screwdrivers and magnifiers help a lot any more.

Ken in SA
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

4GSR

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 09:54:51 PM »
Had to set up and cut a little clearance on the pivot of the upper half so it would open up completely.
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 09:31:16 PM »
Here's the final pictures of the two steady rest I built.  One for my 14" Rockwell lathe.  The second one is for my 15" Sheldon lathe.

4GSR

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2020, 04:17:25 PM »
Okay guys,

Here's the steady rest shown in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZqF0c2JVi0

Enjoy!

Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »
Ahhh, I didn't understand the "cats head" at first. I understand its use now. Nice. That's a big chunk of iron!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2020, 07:03:45 AM »
 Yup, Cat Heads have been around for eons. Userd a lot for long work needing offset diameters.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb crap, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.