Author Topic: Giant binocular  (Read 9690 times)

savarin

Re: Giant binocular
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2019, 08:02:53 PM »
Thanks Jeff, its just heavy wall square tube, welded, then welded to a plate with a "V" section filed out to fit over the "V" on the bed and bolted down.
The feet are oil soaked hardwood blocks.
Originally it had two small roller bearings on each leg but they collapsed after about 2 hours work so I was in a hurry and replaced them with the hard wood. 
Kept those ever since as they appear to work well.

savarin

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2019, 06:25:12 AM »
The touch up to the bored hole went perfect, a very nice slip fit with no wobble.
 Then I taper bored the inside leaving 1" of the original a straight 1.25" dia.
 Then decided to taper the outside for looks.
 I've only finished one so the other block has to be reduced to the same size and shape,
I have to remove the top corner of the black triagonal section so the eyepieces can fit closer together.
 Approximately where the mark is by my thumbnail.
 This diagonal unit is plastic so I expect to replace it with a better higher quality version assuming the system works as hoped.
Cant start the next one till I clear the chips up from this one.

4GSR

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »
Be careful there, all those swarfs could be hazardous to your health according to California proposition 65 something!  ;D

Great work your doing there and thanks for sharing.
Ken

savarin

« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2020, 08:59:25 PM »
Arghhhh! I just found out that all the tinypic pictures have gone into the aether.
If there is a request/demand to replace them I will as soon as I can.
This house moving business a little at a time sure does eat into shop time, got no idea when I can get back to these.

34_40

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2020, 05:21:29 PM »
Savarin, in the picture just above I noticed you have some type of wrench for your quick change tool post.  Was that your own design?  I like the idea of having a wrench "right there" and not having to stop at the tool box whenever I want to change the TP.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

savarin

« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »
yep, home made.I needed a lump of 50mm dia bar and there was none available so I turned a taper into 2 chunks of 19mm plate and welded them together,
and then turned, drilled and tapped for the 14mm post with a 10x1mm hole for the handle.
The handle actually has a slight upward set not horizontal as it looks in the picture. 
I first screwed it up tight on the tool post before I marked where the handle hole had to be drilled.
Its way better than having the spanner fall off.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:57:12 PM by savarin »

34_40

« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2020, 07:32:43 AM »
There are a few differences between the two pics, have you made a couple of these?
I think it's a great idea and will definitely make a copy of this!  Thanks for sharing the pics.

savarin

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2020, 07:48:01 AM »
Ah, yes, these top pics are for the qctp when mounted on the plinth.
It uses the 14 mm post, in fact I turned it to be just a tiny tad less than the bore in the QCTP.
The one below with a hole in the top and a straight handle was the first one I made for use on the original top slide, it uses a smaller dia post with a sleeve.
I hope that makes sense

34_40

« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2020, 08:05:08 AM »
Perfect sense.  Again, thanks.

savarin

« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2020, 06:02:30 AM »
No work done on the bino but in what I think is a major leap forward it actually fits into my car.
Admittedly I had to remove the  6 clamping strips from the top of the bottom set but they were designed for this.
Room for the observing table and bags of goodies plus 1 passenger to help load and unload, they may get a look through it.
Phew, my old Suburu Forester had a larger rear and opening and it would have fit easily as those were the measurements I worked from.
but due to the long build time a new Forester entered into the equation and its just slightly smaller inside and smaller openings, gah!.Still it can be done.
I feel happy now,