Author Topic: Giant binocular  (Read 3990 times)

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
Re: Giant binocular
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »
Well I guess your telescope just isn't good enough then. ;D

All kidding aside, we did find a local club and they have some events coming up this fall that we plan to check out.

We found out about the moon being too bright when it is close to full. We did manage to get a peek at Saturn but it was pretty fuzzy. Looking forward to doing and seeing more once the smoke clears and we get rid of the hazy skies of summer.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

savarin

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 07:34:56 AM »
4 down, 8 to go.The new thumb screws to hold the sections together.

19mm stainless rod, turned down to 11.5mm, then turned down to 5 mm

threaded M5

knurled with the camjack knurler

the amount of pressure required to knurl this stainless was huge.

parted off, nice long swarf curls

a bit of embelishment just because.

4GSR

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 08:47:26 AM »
Looking good!
Ken

Uncle Buck

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 08:45:54 AM »
Good to see you using a scissor type knurling tool. Job well done!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

savarin

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »
The new fixings work great.
I was going to add some pics but that useless piece of crap from vomitsoft win 10 suddenly has decided it wont recognise my phone so I cant edit and load them.
All those unhelpful hints on line are crap and useless as well.
Do you get the feeling I'm well pissed off?
The more we advance and supposedly get better the worse off we become.

chips and more

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »
I hear you loud and clear! Todayís programmers forgot about the word/phrase user-friendly when they make an OS, apps and all for the general public. They also donít care if it works or not.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:05:54 AM by chips and more »

Carpenter84

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 10:29:37 AM »
Charles, try using Tapatalk on your phone and upload photos. It auto-resizes them for you.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

savarin

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
I owe vomit soft an a apology this time around as it wasnt their fault for once.
I went through 5 usb plugs till I found one that worked.
Hmm, why so suddenly.
Heres the clips

Now they are clipped together another problem has reared its ugly head, welding distortion.
The two side plates that the pivot will be bolted to do not sit parallel when bolted up, on one side the truss is slightly warped.
To solve this I made four exact sized spacers from some thick walled aluminium tube and bolted them together.
This has worked to get the side plates spot on parallel and square.
Now I will bolt the two trusses together using shims to take up the slack and keep them parallel.
Here they are just sitting at the top of where they must go.

Now I either have to re-make the bottom and back plates or re-drill the fixing holes to get some wriggle room so they fit.
we will see.
Those four spacers will be replaced with the pivot unit but I cant bolt on that yet as I dont know where the balance point will end up.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:18:49 PM by savarin »

savarin

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 08:11:44 PM »
I meant to add in there that when turning the spacer tubes they got pretty hot from the friction of the steady and expanded.
I had to wait for each one of them to cool to ambient to get the real measurement and then finish off their length.
They came out to within 2 thou of each other. I felt that was close enough.

grumpygator

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »
Damn it C , don't tell them all the secrets They are liable to get big heads.
  So if I got this right , With the tilt of the earths orbit and you being in the Southern Hemisphere we see different star groups.You see some that we don't. Same Sky with different points of view
 So here is the question who was it that put both north and south together to make sense of it all?
 Ball is in your court 
  **G**.

savarin

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 07:33:13 AM »
After sorting out the central plates and re-aligning the tubes I had to make a new bottom plate.
I first cut the half circle section out where the main support will fit with a jig saw which was not very accurate but I stayed inside the line.
Then milled it to size with a  4mm end mill in the drill press. (yeah yeah I know you shouldnt but it worked).

Then I smoothed the milled cut with a flap sander, it doesnt actually touch the table it just looks like it does.

Once this was in place I could bolt the whole assembly back up and find the balance point.

To get a more accurate idea of where it should balance I added the mirrors and more metal to take the place of the mirror cells and a package of the four secondary and tertiary mirrors and a couple of eyepieces at the top end.

It balanced 1/8 of an inch below where I thought it would have when I first planned it out. I felt good at that point.
But, we always have to have one of those, that 1/8 of an inch placed the central hole in the pivot just off the diagonal brace so I had to cut a small section out.
Bah humbug. Actually because there is a plate bolted all around that section I dont think it needs the diagonal at all so I will cut it completely out once I tear it all down again.Now to the difficult part. 
I'm not sure what you mean here Terry.  Dont know why I typed Terry here seeing as it was "G" who asked the question. I'm getting old, you all look the same.
Yes we see parts of the sky you cannot 
But I had never thought of this question before - 
who was it that put both north and south together to make sense of it all?
I think it could have been this gentleman. https://www.davidrumsey.com/blog/2012/8/21/mapping-the-heavens-in-1693
Even if he wasnt the first his was still an awesome piece of work.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:50:06 AM by savarin »

chips and more

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
You mean you used the 4mm end mill and drill press kinda like a pin router? And free handed it? Thatís amazing, never would have thought of that. Four flute end mill?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:57:31 AM by chips and more »

4GSR

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »
Just imagin, If NASA had built this same binocular, the cost plus over runs, would have been north of two billion dollars and six years behind schedule!

That is one fine job your doing there with limited resources to build with.  ;)

Thanks for sharing savarin.
Ken

savarin

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 08:31:03 PM »
You mean you used the 4mm end mill and drill press kinda like a pin router? And free handed it? Thatís amazing, never would have thought of that. Four flute end mill?
I need to get some multi flute cutters just for this as I do it more times than than I can count. I had the drill running at its fastest speed.
Sometime I use the woodworking router blades on the table but that was set up with the saw blade where I cut the panel to size and I was too lazy to change everything.
It must be heaven to have each item of equipment set up to enable you to go from machine to machine as you need it.

Just imagin, If NASA had built this same binocular, the cost plus over runs, would have been north of two billion dollars and six years behind schedule!
Only 6 years? I first started this in 2011 but did stop for a couple of years. Theres probably still a couple of years to go as the mirrors wont be a quick job.
Thanks for the kind words.

savarin

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 04:07:01 AM »
Simple job today, fitted the pivot in place.

Theres lots of empty holes as with all the assembling and disassembling going on it got a tad annoying to do everyone.