Author Topic: Site not secure  (Read 151 times)

Carpenter84

Site not secure
« on: September 29, 2020, 06:28:25 AM »
I'm not sure if it matters, but I wanted to point this out.
For some time now - hasn't been forever - my browsers on various platforms view machinistgazette.com as unsafe or unsecure.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

Re: Site not secure
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 11:43:24 AM »
Iím not seeing this on my computer?

RayH

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »
I'm not seeing it either. Windows 10, Intel PC.
Ray

Bill Gruby

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 03:00:18 PM »
 It's OK here on Chrome.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb crap, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PJB

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
Im 99% viewing on my phone.  No issues when logging in on the shop computer tho.   I think its windows 8 and firefox.
What exactly can they do? Alter photos or the posts? 
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"I wants what you gots!"

grumpygator

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 03:55:28 PM »
I'm using Firefox and it shows that some of the pictures on this site are not secure.
  Guess we will just have to wait for Rusty to check in give us an answer.
      **G**

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 09:17:50 PM »
All it really means is that the site uses HTTP instead of HTTPS.   Using HTTPS used to be for sites secured by a "security certificate" which meant that your site has been proven to be safe and is certified as such.  Safe only means that it does not contain any viruses, hidden malicious code, etc.  It used to be that a "secure site" displayed a padlock symbol to indicate that it was secure. Security certificates were originally intended to be used on sites where you might enter your credit card number to purchase an item or something like that.

In the last couple of years Google decided to make this big push that unsecured sites would be listed as 'unsafe' not because they have been proven to unsafe, but rather because they have not proven that they are safe by means of a security certificate. They figure that only a site with a security certificate can be 'safe' and logic dictates that anything else is then 'unsafe'. 

The reality is that it's mostly just a bunch of propaganda launched by what is probably the most influential organization in the world, trying to build people's trust in them as the world's Internet security expert.

There are some sites that have security certificates in place but are not secure - but that is another whole bag of worms - and we might fall into that category at present.

What does it mean for average Joe's like us?  Nothing really.  Just make sure that if you are going to submit sensitive information to a web site that it is a secured site where the web address starts with 'https' with the s standing for 'secured' and make sure that the site shows as 'secure' as well.   Since MG does not collect sensitive information or credit card numbers there is not much need to be concerned about it. Our web address does start with HTTPS, and we do have a valid security certificate in place, so there must be some other issue causing the 'not secure' rating.

:coffee2:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:23:16 PM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 09:52:56 PM »
It appears that our certificate is good until November but that our use of cookies may be the culprit. From what I understand, we use cookies to keep track of which posts and threads people have read and which ones they haven't.  There may also be some issues with trackers such as the one from Google.  Exactly what detail is causing the 'not secure' message I do not know. Rusty may have a better idea than me.
Terry

4GSR

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 11:18:03 AM »
It shows "not secured" in my browser.
Ken

Bill Gruby

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 12:03:09 PM »
 When I am not logged in it shows "NOT SECURED" Upon log in, it is secured.

"Billy G"

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

4GSR

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 03:54:55 PM »
I'm logged in and it say "not secure".  Of course i'm using Chrome as my browser.
Ken

Bill Gruby

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 04:58:24 PM »
 I am also using Chrome, Ken.

"Billy G"

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:00:59 PM by Bill Gruby »

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 05:52:06 PM »
Mine also says 'not secure' whether I use Edge or the old IE 11.  Have not yet tried Firefox or Chrome.

I also found out that a person's security settings regarding cookies and the like can also have an effect on whether it shows a secure connection or not. From what I can see everything that can be controlled on the server end is already in place, but only Rusty can answer that for sure.

:coffee2:
Terry