Author Topic: Older Miller Dial Arc 250 AC-DC welder  (Read 145 times)

4GSR

Older Miller Dial Arc 250 AC-DC welder
« on: October 22, 2020, 09:58:47 PM »
What do you guys think for $300? 

Just have pictures of it right now.  My buddy up the road from me has picked it up and will deliver to me in the next week or two.  The welder was pulled from a welding shop near my buddy's place.  It was under power and working fine.  The new owner of the shop wanted it out of there, MIG welders was his method of getting things done.  At least that is what I was told.

I'm not sure I have enough juice coming in my place to run it.  Everything I've read about this model welder, most people run it on a 50 amp breaker.  I'll find out if they are right.

chips and more

Re: Older Miller Dial Arc 250 AC-DC welder
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 08:41:02 AM »
It looks like the transformers have copper windings? A long time ago I had a stick welder with aluminum windings. What a POS. Very poor duty cycle. Could not even get through one rod without duty cycle problems.

4GSR

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
Yes, this one has copper windings.
Ken

f350ca

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 10:05:23 AM »
I've had one for about 30 years Ken, great welder, but certainly not portable. There's probably $300 scrap copper in it.
Has enough jam that rods never stick when starting an arc.
They had an optional remote for the current setting, I bought the rheostat from Miller and made one. Mounted in a metal box with a 3 wire heavy extension cord connecting it.
Im using a 50 amp breaker, might run on a smaller one at lower settings?
Like the shop your getting it from, I mostly use MIG

Greg

PJB

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 01:37:53 PM »
Depends on your situation whether you already have a welder and this is just an “opportunity “ if so I’d pass.    Its a legacy unit. Miller may or may not support parts.  They are durable and usually 100% duty cycle at full amperage but transformer welders take lots of juice and are heavy to move around.    Might be good for production work at a static work station.
The cost of materials to run the electrical req might be $300 and then you’re stuck thereabouts.
Or if its got enough copper and you wanna play Sanford and Son for a few bucks I suppose.
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"I wants what you gots!"

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 08:04:24 PM »
This will never replace the 300 amp 70% duty cycle Airco 3-phase welder dad had.  OF course, he had a 350 amp miller wire feed unit hooked up to it.  Of course every time you struck an arc, it pegged the light meter!  The demand lever got pushed up a bunch.  Light company got mad at us for breaking the seal and moving the trip line back to zero when we left the shop!  They fixed that by installing a electronic meter. ???
We just wanted it for burning those heavier beads and getting good heat penetration in the metal.  It's probably over kill for our needs, but down here where I live, it would be real easy to sell and get my $300 back out of it.
Ken

kvt85

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 07:33:21 PM »
Did not have a electric welder growing up.  But dad had a old Lincoln,  had a 6cy engine and the armature was about 24 inch dia and about 3 foot long,   it would burn through 1 inch plate, with a 3/8 rod,   A little tuff to weld on thin stuff with it.  But he could do it.   Wish I still had it.  but would prob be no good  as it sat to long before he got rid of it while I was in the military.   
now I have a little gas powered miller that needs work, and a flux core wire feed.
Cant burn through much of anything right now. 
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill