Author Topic: Help with South Bend 9A apron part  (Read 310 times)

jpigg55

Help with South Bend 9A apron part
« on: November 29, 2020, 02:51:56 PM »
I need some help IDing a South Bend 9A part and where it goes.
As some of you know from other threads, I crashed my lathe saddle into a part I was working on. After replacing the banjo and idler gear, I thought the QCGB might have been damaged as it was severely binding.
After removing the gear box and lead screw, I found it freely moved. So, then I tore into the apron to see if anything was jammed up in it. The only anomaly I found is the little retainer clip/spring I found in the clutch that you can see in the attached pictures.
Near as I can tell, this clip/spring was preventing the clutch plates from being released to allow the gear to free spin.

My problem is that I canít figure out where it goes. I donít even see anything that resembles it in the South Bend lathe parts manual.
Anyone know what this is and where it goes ?
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

woodchucker

Re: Help with South Bend 9A apron part
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 03:49:26 PM »
without taking it apart, I don't see the spring in my pics of my lathe.
But that doesn't mean it doesn't belong.

Here's my lathe being restored before I put the clutch cover on.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6OT4a
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 10:05:27 PM by woodchucker »
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Remember measure once cut twice, or was the measure twice cut once...

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 04:17:41 PM »
this is copywrited, but our PM's don't allow images... so it will stay for a short time.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 05:20:29 PM »
Considering that you only posted one page and not the entire document, we would probably be okay under 'fair use', but on behalf of the entire staff, thank you Jeff for being considerate of copywrite rules.

:coffee2:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

jpigg55

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 05:51:19 PM »
Thanks Jeff.
After a few YouTube videos, looking through the parts manual, and a few searches, I'm beginning to think whatever this thing is either bounced up under the apron or stuck to the lead screw and was carried in behind the clutch cover and the crash caused it to jump into the clutch pack preventing it from fully disengaging causing the "Drag".
Think I'll just put everything back together and see if it will work normally now.

I don't use compressed air around my machines, just a shop-vac and brushes to clean and remove swarf. Just my luck to have just the right circumstances and comedy of errors such that this little errant clip/spring found its way into just the right place at just the right time to gum up the works.  :41: :41: :41:

woodchucker

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 06:17:28 PM »
read the doc, it says that a spring was included in some models. your sb9 is one of those.

it seems to belong.
Jeff

4GSR

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 06:29:07 PM »
See if there is a snap ring looking groove at the end of the shaft that the retainer clip would fit into.  Looks like the clip sits across to two halves of the clutch, about 90 degrees from where it is in the picture now.
Ken

jpigg55

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 10:49:31 PM »
Thanks guys.
I did a bit more searching and did find a forum thread that discussed this retainer clip. Someone even posted a picture that I copied. Not the best quality pic, but you can clearly see the retaining clip.

chips and more

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 11:29:34 AM »
Sometimes the internet is a great source of info!!! And could not live without it. But there are times when misinformation, funny business and such on the net is just so frustrating :33:

jpigg55

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 03:42:05 PM »
Seems that little clip was the cause of all my troubles. Put everything back together today and the lathe is back running just fine.
Might have to make a couple tweaks here and there, but was back making chips today.
 !AOK

PJB

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 04:01:50 PM »
Thanks Jeff.
After a few YouTube videos, looking through the parts manual, and a few searches, I'm beginning to think whatever this thing is either bounced up under the apron or stuck to the lead screw and was carried in behind the clutch cover and the crash caused it to jump into the clutch pack preventing it from fully disengaging causing the "Drag".
Think I'll just put everything back together and see if it will work normally now.

I don't use compressed air around my machines, just a shop-vac and brushes to clean and remove swarf. Just my luck to have just the right circumstances and comedy of errors such that this little errant clip/spring found its way into just the right place at just the right time to gum up the works.  :41: :41: :41:
Ha.  Sounds like what my wife did to our sink disposal this week.   Cleaning the lid on the insta-pot cooker dropped a 1/4Ē ss washer down the hole.  Next thing I know Im completely disassembling the dang disposal to figure out what seized it up solid.   It wedged so tight the standard hex key method of unjamming was useless. 

And nice job on the apron looks great after the cleaning and rebuild!
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"They wants what you gots!"