Author Topic: 15" D. McKenzie shaper  (Read 821 times)

Carpenter84

Re: 15" D. McKenzie shaper
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2020, 07:56:31 AM »
Remember that dovetail Hylo vise I had? The one full of pecker holes? It's pretty heavy duty.. how do you feel about a dovetail vise?
I was thinking about grinding a .002" taper to the moving jaw to compensate for the lift. It's 6" but it easily weighs 60-70 lbs...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2020, 08:43:23 AM »
Iím also saying good question. Looks to me like low profile. And maybe most importantly the feed screw might be fixed at the solid jaw end and not at the back of the vise? I guess that design feature would help when the ram is pushing/applying force in the direction of the movable jaw going away from the solid jaw. If you used a regular vise as we know them today. The force would be on the feed screw and its mount in the vise frame at the back of the vise.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 10:10:52 AM by chips and more »

f350ca

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2020, 09:09:59 AM »
Lucked out and found this one on Kijiji a few years ago. Was advertised as a metal working vice, they thought it was to mount on a bench.
Think the moveable jaw design is the big factor, it wraps around the base to withstand side forces  a milling vice would never get that type of load.

Carpenter84

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
An angle lock vise is really only held down by the angle lock mech, so, I feel the dovetail vise might have a bit of a leg up on gan angle lock milling vise. But Dave brings up a good point about the screw position.
The Hylo dovetail vise has a pretty beefcake acme screw...
I'm gonna try it once it's running. Most of the signs are point me to believe it could be a suitable shaper vise until something better came along.

(6" & 12" rule for scale)
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »
Looks like a bomb exploded the shaper in my shop. Lol. Pieces everywhere! But it's 99.9% torn down. The flat pulley bushing is still in the casting, and the base separates from the body, but it's super gross down there so I took lunch first. I'm in the shop today..

Have one more look at everything cause it's all about to get power washed!

Now, golden question... I think I will paint it.. what colour? I could stick with the machine green, or battle ship gray, or the white I painted the mill.... Or how about orange?! Or red?! I feel like something fun! Or, maybe black. I saw someone restore a Moriseiki lathe and paint it black. With the gray/silver shafts and handles, it looked pretty darn sharp!

Also, almost every pivoting surface is cast iron (some critical points seem to be bronze) and everything has oil wicks and oil holes.. there's so many I'd be oiling with a can for an hour or just a garden hose! What if I use the lower reservoir as an oil sump and install a pump with some lines and a manifold at the top to basically rain oil down the gear works? Then any of the exterior oil points I either put gits drippers or just oil with a can. Thoughts?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2020, 11:47:30 AM »
also, so far, no visible damage or problems. I will inspect everything very closely once its all clean, but I'm honestly thinking this shaper is (aside from the grimy mess) turn key.
best I can decide, this shaper was in a shop or factory, it was taken care of, used, and then just not used. it sat around and collected a staggering quantity of some kind of paper dust, and then it was just scrapped. I still see no reason that it was scrapped, just aside from being unused. So, it probably sat around until some shop owner said "Okay, we're revamping, put that VMC over there, put the CNC lathe over there, and just get that damn shaper outta here!"... some period of time later - enter, 'me'.
I'll take it!

If I dont paint it, I bet I could have the bulk of this machine back together before home time. If I paint it, it'll be a few days. I'll take opinions on pain.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2020, 11:57:38 AM »
also, so far, no visible damage or problems. I will inspect everything very closely once its all clean, but I'm honestly thinking this shaper is (aside from the grimy mess) turn key.
best I can decide, this shaper was in a shop or factory, it was taken care of, used, and then just not used. it sat around and collected a staggering quantity of some kind of paper dust, and then it was just scrapped. I still see no reason that it was scrapped, just aside from being unused. So, it probably sat around until some shop owner said "Okay, we're revamping, put that VMC over there, put the CNC lathe over there, and just get that damn shaper outta here!"... some period of time later - enter, 'me'.
I'll take it!

If I dont paint it, I bet I could have the bulk of this machine back together before home time. If I paint it, it'll be a few days. I'll take opinions on pain.

Paint it.. you will at least have one really good machine , and feel great about it.

Also the painting allows you to fully clean it. Not painting, you might leave some grit somewhere.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Remember measure once cut twice, or was the measure twice cut once...

Carpenter84

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2020, 11:59:26 AM »
[Also the painting allows you to fully clean it. Not painting, you might leave some grit somewhere.

I don't expect much grime left after power washing in a few moments... After this short bathroom break. Lol
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »
Paint it Rustoleum Smoke Gray.

As for oil lines, look at installing a Bijur oiling system on the old lady.  You can buy the Asian stuff a lot cheaper than you can the real stuff.  A one shot hand pump is about all you need.  I can help you on figuring out the size metering units to use.  If you buy wisely on the fittings and tubing, maybe $150 give or take to get a good oiling system installed.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2020, 07:11:52 PM »
That'll be a looottt of pipes.. I could do a one-shot for all the exterior points, but what about an oil shower on the inside? There's probably 20 points in all the workings inside the main casting.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2020, 08:14:10 PM »
On the inside, rig up some sheet metal troughs to catch oil from the bull gear when it picks up oil from the base of the shaper.  Or is it open in the bottom of the casting?  The troughs are sloped to distribute oil to points of need.  Another way is rig up a rotary gear pump in the bottom of the shaper casting to pump oil thru a manifold into various lengths of tubing to points of need.  Go look at Tubicanes video series on the South Bend shaper he took apart and put back together.  He explains the oiling system that SBL used on the shaper. Very simple and basic for a small shaper.  Something that can be easily adapted to larger shapers. 
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2020, 09:21:19 PM »
The base is enclosed. With some liquid gasket, it would easily hold oil. However, I do not believe it would hold enough oil to work as a splash oiler, some shafts would be below the oil level and they would leak. Iíd have to do a pump. I did see mr Peteís video, and thatís exactly what Iím talking about. Although, I donít think Iíd do the box ways with the pump, maybe some drippers instead. Or I feel oil would be everywhere!
But I definitely believe I need to do some kind of cascade oil system.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2020, 09:47:10 PM »
Any suggestions on a pump? Actually having a hard time finding something reasonable/suitable.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

RayH

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2020, 10:13:06 PM »
The cutting oil pump on Ridgid pipe threaders is a small, gear type, low pressure pump.
I think it would be excellent for a lubricating system you describe. I don't know the specs on the pump.
Come to think of it, you could use an oil pump off an automotive engine.
You might want to drive it with a variable speed set-up to get the flow you want.

The Ridgid pump is $$$. https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-62052-Pump-Threading-Machine/dp/B001VY1OIG
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:16:03 PM by RayH »
Ray

woodchucker

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:32:43 PM by woodchucker »
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Remember measure once cut twice, or was the measure twice cut once...