Author Topic: 15" D. McKenzie shaper  (Read 2432 times)

Carpenter84

Re: 15" D. McKenzie shaper
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2020, 06:33:18 AM »
Ok, so I think I'm going to place an order with my oil supplier. If I'm using ISO 46 in the shaper sump, I should get another bucket. I can get it at the local tractor supply, but it's a good $20 cheaper from wholesale.
Question, what kind of oil should I use in the gear box? I haven't paid any attention to it yet, but I'm going to clean it all up like everything else. However, I'm not going to open it up unless I find a reason to while cleaning. I'll just drain it, flush it, put new oil in. 
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill, 9x42 Induma Knee mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
D. McKenzie 15" metal shaper,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,

4GSR

« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2020, 05:24:00 PM »
Run the same oil in it too!  You might run a little heavier oil if you like.  What brand gear box is that?  IS it a Drive-All gear box by chance?
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2020, 05:49:25 PM »
Auto drive
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,

34_40

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2020, 04:49:00 AM »
OOOOOoooo    4 on the floor!  :93:
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Bill Gruby

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2020, 06:57:17 AM »
 I really wouldn't try to shift that while in motion if I were you.  ROTFLMAO

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb crap, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

4GSR

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2020, 11:44:30 AM »
Double clutch it if you do........ :57:

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2020, 12:44:45 PM »
I've been following along on this thread and am enjoying it quite a bit.

I do have something for you to think about with oil, Shawn. Most large truck transmissions utilize an SAE 50 weight synthetic oil and they run it for 100,000 miles before changing it. They do have pressure lubrication and also run the oil through a cooler. It is closer to a hydraulic oil than it is to anything else.

Farm tractors - even the biggest ones - utilize SAE 20 (ISO 68) hydraulic oil in the transmissions and rear ends. They also use coolers but coolers are used because of the high horsepower levels that are utilized. I don't think you will have any trouble with using the hydraulic oil that you have been using thus far.

:coffee2:
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Carpenter84

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2020, 11:54:38 PM »
A bit of shaper progress.

I recieved the little pump last week - it is not a vane pump as described.. it's a little bellows type pump. It pumps the iso 46 oil with relative ease. It does sound a tad angry once it starts sucking up oil (self priming, which is nice) but it does pump. If it dies, well, I'll still have a proof of concept. I'll find a better pump.

I also decided where the shaper is gonna live for the foreseeable future. I'm gonna just put it beside the Induma. However, the location of the two is temporary. I'm planning on moving that huge table over into the wood shop when it's ready, I'll push the Induma and the shaper back to where the table sits, both machines will be sideways to how they're sitting now. And I'll build a steel welding/work bench that will sit up front where the machines are now. The table will be half the size as the big wooden bench. A table that big is just a shit catcher... I have no more room to work on it now than if it was half that size... I need more room for machines. And with the table up front, it returns the ability to shove the table to the side if I need to get something in the garage door.

I made some leveling feet from what I think is ABS. And I fabbed a horrifyingly crude sediment catch for the sump from stainless - I really need some fabrication equipment. Or rather, just need a way to cut sheet metal better than the electric nibbler sheer I have... And my Tig welder had a hard time at that low amperage without the HF box which I couldn't be bothered to connect...
It really doesn't matter what it looks like... It's a two chamber separator. If the pump sucks up a chip, it'll rip the diaphragms.
But now that I have the feet and oil separator sorted out I can lift the shaper body onto the base, get it planted, leveled, and start working out the oil lines. And finally start putting the guts back in.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:29:43 AM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,

4GSR

« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2020, 06:46:07 AM »
That bellows type of pump will probably die the first day of continuous operation.  You really need some kind of gear type pump.  But what do I know.... :03:
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2020, 06:57:55 AM »
You know a hell of a lot more than I do. Yes I know I need a gear pump, but this dumb little pump was all I could find quickly that fit the application and wasnít over $100. Itís advertised as an oil transfer pump, it had good reviews from people actually using it to move oil. I took a chance to get things moving along. When I know whether my idea and setup will work the way I intend, Iíll get something better suited. McMaster has a proper sump style cutting oil pump thatís about $65 USD that would be a good replacement for this. It was actually rather difficult finding a pump that wasnít either too expensive, or just way too big!
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,

4GSR

« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2020, 11:13:05 AM »

Carpenter84

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
Okay, first of all...
How do you know how often I'll use the shaper?!? Huh?? Maybe I'll use it every day!

And second, where the hell was this suggestion before I bought that stupid little pump I bought - for the same cost as these units.. what the hell, man?!

The bull gear isn't low enough to dip into the sump.

Last night when I was looking over all the shaft bores in the main casting, all the oil grooves are fed from button oilers on the ext of the casting. But, every shaft bore has a big nose that protrudes inside the compartment. All I'd have to do is drill a hole into the shaft bore from the inside compartment, and just make sure it's situated within the oil grooves. With a cascading system, I'd be able to hit every single oil point for everything except the table, table drives, and ram ways. I would be able to just have two manifolds across the top of the compartment under the ram ways and with a series of holes just let the oil rain down. It would oil everything inside.
For the ram ways, I have a few gits glass oilers I will use. All the table stuff I'll just oil manually.

The links you posted, those oil tanks, are they under pressure? It wouldn't be difficult to use that tank and pump and just let the oil gravity feed back into the tank, or some other method of recovery
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,

RayH

« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2020, 02:28:32 PM »
You know a hell of a lot more than I do. Yes I know I need a gear pump, but this dumb little pump was all I could find quickly that fit the application and wasnít over $100. Itís advertised as an oil transfer pump, it had good reviews from people actually using it to move oil. I took a chance to get things moving along. When I know whether my idea and setup will work the way I intend, Iíll get something better suited. McMaster has a proper sump style cutting oil pump thatís about $65 USD that would be a good replacement for this. It was actually rather difficult finding a pump that wasnít either too expensive, or just way too big!

Please post a link or PN for the pump you refer to. When I search McMaster for "cutting oil pump" I see an impeller type pump for $160.15 USD.

PS; I poo pooed this machine before you bought it but it's on it's way to being a nice piece. Keep it up.

Carpenter84

« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2020, 04:17:18 PM »
Sorry, my details were a tad off... I might have been pretty tired the other night when I looked it up.

https://www.mcmaster.com/8220K43

I don't recall you "poo pooing" the shaper, Ray. I know some opinions were to take a long walk past a rebuild machine, I also recall commenting that said comments were generally from gentlemen who have had many machines, possibly including shapers and have since moved on - a valued and respected opinion, regardless... I'm just stubborn!
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,

Carpenter84

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2020, 08:00:27 AM »
That was far more of an ordeal than one would expect... I'm doing all the heavy lifting with a 2 ton engine hoist. And it's a cheap one, I'm sure anyone who has experience with cheap engine hoists knows how much or a pain it is to roll them around...
And when you think to yourself "self, you should run a tap through those bolt holes... Nahh", you just damn well do it! Took half an hour to snug the 4 bolts down one eighth turn at a time...
Shawn

Enterprise 10x28 lathe,