Author Topic: Damn.. getting old sucks.  (Read 272 times)

woodchucker

Damn.. getting old sucks.
« on: December 01, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »
Yesterday, I went to take a measure of the drawers that I needed for the vanity I'm building.
just double checking.  You know that measure once cut twice...  ???

I was slightly bent over maybe 5-7 degrees, and wham, I felt my back go out.  I am now in pain 24x7 from nothing.. I feel like my balls have been kicked too from the pain. It has affected other things as well..

So I can't work on the bathroom, and now, I can't do any machining, or woodworking.  So I am desperate to do something. Everything I try is painful. 

Even typing here seems to upset my back.  To those of you in pain, recovering from strokes, whatever, I feel your pain... it sucks being locked up in a body that can't do what it wants. I tried watching youtube videos but fell asleep doing that.

When I get over this, I have to start working out to build some strength in the back... not sure if this is muscle or disc.. whatever it is.. I've got to get out of this cycle...

End of venting.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Remember measure once cut twice, or was the measure twice cut once...

Carpenter84

Re: Damn.. getting old sucks.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
I stepped on the cat this morning and went skiing down the stairs in my underwear... My backs been twerking all morning.

I used to get an RMT massage every 3 weeks before Covid. Haven't been a able to since like March, I feel it.. gotta wait 10 mins each morning for my back to unlock and my shoulders to fall back down...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill, 9x42 Induma Knee mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
D. McKenzie 15" metal shaper,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,

4GSR

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 12:12:44 PM »
Went to get my four year old grand daughter out of the car the other night.  I couldn't pick her up!  She is tall and skinny like her mommy and daddy are. My weak muscles from Arthritis wouldn't let me. 
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
had Barb go get my meds, and while she was there I had her pick up some lidocaine patches. WOW...
these immediately within minutes took the edge off the pain. I can move again. 

WHY DIDN'T I TRY THIS YEARS AGO????

I am still out of commission, but you won't believe the difference.  I just had her pick up the generic large patches...

:72:
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder

34_40

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 04:57:32 PM »
At times it seems like the wife and I live on Lidocane patches.   Getting old ain't for _ _ ssies!
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

chips and more

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
I had a nasty pinched nerve in my neck about 2 months ago. Made my left arm go numb and no strength in my left hand. When to ER, they thought I had a stroke. What a day that was in ER!!! Now my left side is kinda OK and all the same problems have gone to my right side now…geez.

woodchucker

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 11:48:46 AM »
Important info:
If you are new to patches this may help:

today the patch was not working.
after 2 hours, I realized that it needed to move. I had Barb put it an inch or 2 lower today, it was not working, I had her move it higher, and now I am good.

These patches probably have a sweet spot, so if you don't get relief move it around. it probably is better just before the area that's causing problems, then right on it.

more to come as I learn.
Jeff

PJB

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 03:03:56 PM »
Dang guys don’t hate me but physically I feel pretty darn good.  No big complaints.   Do notice the mid-50s creaks and groans more lately.  My mood tho has been poor and getting poorer.   Multiple factors there mostly stuff with the job, home, horrible direction society heading and of course the plague crap. 
One bright spot is the retirement account up 30% ytd.   Of course another unforeseen black swan event could wipe that in a day or two as we all know
1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"They wants what you gots!"

kvt85

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 07:16:15 PM »
The problem I have with the patches is the fact that they don't seem to want to stick to me properly without having to tape them down.   
Also cant get them on my neck that great.   They put the Nuro Stimulator in me just over a year ago, but it only does so much and in limited area,   
But that is all better than one doc wanted to do,  Fuse from C1 to T1 and then go from there.   Wound up with a new doc shortly after that.  But agree getting old S____ and think several more of members feel the same way.   
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

chips and more

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 10:40:03 AM »
Yeah, getting old s---s and maybe don’t go with just one doctor’s recommendation either.