Author Topic: Machine info ?  (Read 323 times)

jpigg55

Machine info ?
« on: December 03, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »
As Iíve stated in a couple threads, Iím in the market for a bigger lathe. One of the biggest issues Iíve ran into is being able to find information about lathes that I find that may fit my bill. Things like country of manufacture, parts availability, add-ons, etc.
Is/are there any websites that anyone knows of that might be helpful in answering some or all of these questions ?

I think sources of info for other equipment (not just lathes) could be helpful as well.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

PJB

Re: Machine info ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 02:02:10 PM »
Not aware of any one stop site but definitely check out
LeBlond -
Clausing Colchester -
Lagun -
Standard Modern -
Precision Mathews -
Hardinge -

PM probably going to be the only reasonably affordable one.

Eg - the Standard Modern 1400 lists for $25k
Hardinge omg forget about it.
If I was looking at spending on new the Clausing or Harrisons or PM seem like the best quality per $
Not perfect but.

1991 Bridgeport Series I 2J-VS  9"x48"
1979 Clausing Colchester Bantam Mk2 11"x30"
1972 Harig Super 612
2015 Tormach PCNC-1100 Mill

"They wants what you gots!"

PJB

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
On a mill, Wells Index would be my first stop or the new Chinesium variation Hardinge passes off as a BP these days.
Every time I read threads like this I thank my lucky stars I snagged my current machines when I did. 
Replacing damn near impossible.
1972 Harig Super 612

chips and more

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 02:48:15 PM »
This will always be a good question. What iron should I buy? I guess Iím kinda snobby about it. It would be last on my list to buy overseas iron. I hear and see PM get a lot of talk. But the bottom line, itís still Chinesium! And I donít care if made in an ISO certified shopÖno big deal!  Thatís just buzz talk, like ďfree shippingĒ, come-on people, nothing is free! Clausing Colchester iron is good, but if you need parts for it, donít expect any bargain. If was me, I guess, I would scour my local for sale ads and patiently wait until my turn came up on an used USA made lathe. And being in the Bay Area California it would not take long. Sorry folks, lots to pick from in these woods :)

And also want to mention. If I was looking for a lathe. Absolutely no flat belt driven lathe. And the lathe MUST have a quick change gear box. And would be nice if the lathe cut English and Metric threads without fiddling with a 127 gear and banjo adjusting.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:14:55 PM by chips and more »

jpigg55

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »
Whatís available in your neck of the woods is always a big factor. Hard to find the time, let alone having to travel 500+ miles to check out a piece of equipment only to find it has issues or broken/missing components. End up with a very long day or 2 on the road with nothing to show for it.
As for new, it seems to me that name brand doesnít always mean itís not Chinesium either. Iíve looked at many new lathes in the 14Ē x 40Ē size and many of them look almost identical except for the paint job and badge. From the pictures, a Clausing, Clark, Kent, PM all look like they came off the same assembly line. No doubt that there are differences in quality, fit, finish, and so forth, but the designs look all the same to me.
Old iron is arguably the best, but finding one thatís not completely worn out or not having major issues is difficult unless itís been rebuilt. Parts and/or accessories can be very rare as well.
And then there are the price and size issues. Iíve found a few nice looking old iron lathes that were well within my price range, but have neither the room or equipment to move a 5,000# lathe or the electrical service available to power a 10 HP 440v motor.

PJB

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
Another new lathe option to check out.
Its an import but looks decent.   Although only 8 spindle speeds kind of weak

https://www.expandmachinery.com/products/toolroom-division/manual-lathes/ganesh-gt-1340/
1972 Harig Super 612

jpigg55

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 09:12:01 AM »
Then there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42PbHw5q9rI
Seems like the Chinese are starting to sell direct via their own stores. Supposedly already stores in Canada, Australia, and couple other countries.