Author Topic: Wear? Alignment? ... Uhhg  (Read 887 times)

chips and more

Re: Wear? Alignment? ... Uhhg
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 05:18:30 PM »
Can you take a pic(s) of the head stock? So we can see the adjustment things you are taking about. Iím really thinking itís adjustment because of the large error you have. Or take the head off and clean the two mating surfaces.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:20:42 PM by chips and more »

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 05:40:35 PM »
Two big bolts on the front, and a barrel type nut pushing against the ways in the back.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 05:41:35 PM »
An overview of it's at all desired.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

ddickey

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:06 PM »
Made in India with help from Russia. Or maybe parts from Russia? IDK, I know I heard Russia in there somewhere.

Carpenter84

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 09:19:59 PM »
Lol. All I know is most of what I've read, including the
Tag on the machine, says it was made in India. Beyond that I know nothing.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 10:36:04 PM »
I have the lathe sitting on rubber pads. So, zero leveling.. the table it sits on should be relatively flat, it is built VERY sturdy.
What are the methods of leveling? Can I place a torpedo level across the ways (front way to back way)?  The portion closest to the head and the portion past the tail stock should have zero wear on it. I'm essentially looking for twist, correct? I likely won't get level (with the earth) as my garage floor likely slopes 6 ways from Sunday, but as long as I get the same reading front to back, that's what matters, correct?

YES, you are hoping to get the same readings. Sorry, donít think a torpedo level is sensitive enough?

Either it's level, or the torpedo is in fact not sensitive enough.
The lathe is, however, leaning way over. 1/4" per foot low in the back.
I dont have a hope in hell of owning a machinists level, and I don't know anyone who has one. So... Unless there is another way, I'm SOL on that front...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »
Find a good old torpedo level with a long vial in it.  It should get you in the ball park.  And if you are very careful on your visual, should be able to get it leveled damn close!  The key to it is not so much level, get it reading the same, cross wise at each end.  You don't care about it being that level from headstock end to the tailstock end.  That's just wasted time on a short bed lathe.  Now if you have a three or four legged lathe, you have to level length wise to get the bed running straight.

Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
I'll try it again. That torpedo has about a 2" vile. It'll level the lathe a bit better front to back cause it was way over at the 1/4" mark. Then have another look. But the first test, I couldn't see a difference from nose to tail. Looked pretty even. Hard to tell...
Wish I had something more sensitive.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
Shawn,

Your doing right by having the lathe setting on rubber pads.  Your lathe is small enough that twisting is not a real problem unless you purposely induce one into the bed.  My 9" South Bend lathe is setting on a bench.  The headstock end is reasonably secured to the bench, where the tail end is secured, but the bolts are left loose so it is free to move, to prevent twist.  Do this on your lathe and it should be fine, unless it has a true twist in the bed.  Loosen all of the bolts holding it to the bench and check.  If the bubble stays in the same place, you are good.  If not, well help you get over that.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »
My lathe isn't bolted down. I never did. Mostly because I'm lazy and once it was there I was done. Lol. Other reasons include needing to be able to slide it out slightly to get to the motor height adjustment in the back if I changed the motor pulley, and also because I wanted to try to mitigate excess vibration from traveling through the bench into the floor/house.

Okay, so I'm going to assume the bed is in fact straight. If my little level is showing a discrepancy, I can't see it...
I suppose the next step is to look into the head alignment?

Actually. I think I have a great test for this possibly... I watched Adam booth make some metal feet for his new welding/work bench. He faced off a 2 something inch piece of bar, and found a concave when he put it on his surface plate. Showing either wear in the cross slide or the head alignment. I can do this test too. And it'll finally give me an actual job for the surface guage I made. If I can remove any taper/concave/convex in that method, it should be head alignment, correct? If I cannot remove it and it just goes all catty-wompus, then I have cross slide wear, then I can also recheck the carriage. Same with that. If it does all stupid and I cannot get a consistent reading or it varies, then it was wear all along.

Also, identical wear existing in the cross slide as well as the ways is probably unlikely. I can compare the two surfaces. If they are alike then it's alignment.
Ok, ok. A whole bunch of possible tests are popping up in my head on being able to figure out if it's alignment or wear. I'm gonna stop writing and test those out shortly. Just need to finish up a welding job.

Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
Take Adams method as a grain of salt.  Works good on a large lathe as he has.  No need to do that on your small lathe.  Get your door shims out and drive them in under the lathe stand so it don't shake or move around.  Next, do as I said above, Leave the bolts loose between the stand and the bed on the tailstock end of the bed.  Now move on to new business. 

If you are worried about getting vibration or chatter in your work, go buy you a piece of 1-1/2" thick flat bar about a inch wider that the lathe bed and as long.  Mount the bed to this.  Be sure to shim under all bolts if needed so you don't induce twist into the bed.  Be careful here, you can real easy make your lathe very top heavy.

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »
Where would you mount it? Under the bed? Where the chips fall?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 05:16:35 PM »
Yep!  Where the chip fall.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 08:18:56 PM »
How can I test the run out on my 4 jaw?
More specifically if the chuck is not running true to the spindle?
Curious if the chuck could be introducing an error.
I did my previous test bar with my 3 jaw, which I know isn't stellar. I'm repeating the tests with my 4 jaw.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 09:54:37 PM »
How can I test the run out on my 4 jaw?
More specifically if the chuck is not running true to the spindle? ....................

An 4-jaw, the body needs to run somewhat true, the jaws should be true to the chuck body, unless it has wear.  But, with a four jaw with runout, it shouldn't manner.  You true up anything put in a 4-jaw.  And I've used some very worn out chucks in my past.

Ken
Ken