Author Topic: 5c Chuck alignment  (Read 253 times)

groundhog

5c Chuck alignment
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
First off - I don't recommend this method for any reason!!

I recently tried out my cheap Asian 5C collect chuck on my cheap 12x36 Asian lathe. The other chucks I have for this lathe run pretty true. However I was having a terrible time getting this 5C chuck anywhere near true. I started with 0.020" misalignment. With a lot of trial and error (and a big rubber mallet) I was able to get it down to about 0.005", but that wasn't really repeatable.

After an hour or so of twisting the t-handle my arthritic hands didn't want much more - so I resorted to a cheater bar. Not for leverage mind you, but just to ease my hands.

After an hour and a half I was thoroughly POed. When I get mad I don't think so good. So in my rage I said "f*ck it, I'll teach this cheap piece of sh*t a lesson" and really cranked on that cheater. I mean really cranked. ABomb would be proud of me. But when I checked run-out it was 0.0003! So I marked the position of the chuck on the spindle, removed the chuck and tried again. Without the cheater I had a bunch of run-out. But when I crank on it with the cheater I have less than 0.005" -- repeatably!

First time my temper has resulted in a positive. Although in a year I'll probably discover that I've ruined my spindle or something!

chips and more

Re: 5c Chuck alignment
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
I have always jokingly said that swearing helps and kicking it…and. This is the first time I have heard it works! Got any pic(s)? Dave

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »
I have always jokingly said that swearing helps and kicking it…and. This is the first time I have heard it works! Got any pic(s)? Dave
No pics - but when I take it off I'll take some and post them here .

savarin

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 06:32:37 AM »
Swearing is just the casting of magic spells.
First what is magic?A good definition is " making a change in the material world through a system of incantations and gestures"
We have forgotten all but a few of these ancient spells but some do remain.
First start by banging in a nail and inadvertently hit your thumb.The pain is excruciating so in an attempt to reduce said pain wave it around whilst chanting "Oh golly gosh it hurts" Nothing happens and the pain remains.
Now try the real spell.
Hit said thumb with hammer again. It really hurts now doesnt it.
Shout out loudly F**************k whilst ramming thumb into mouth and suck hard.
Virtually all the pain disappears thus proving you used the correct incantation and gestures.

I would suggest you used the correct incantation and gesture with that chuck. You have re-discovered an ancient magic spell, be proud.