Author Topic: Projects.  (Read 8650 times)

4GSR

Re: Projects.
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 03:00:58 PM »
Pretty much the same way.  They getting better at building homes down here than it used to be.  More rules governing how it's built than before.  Building codes far more stricter now that before too.  My house was built in 1978 using building materials from McCoy's. ceiling joist are 2 x 6, not 2 x 8.  Down here now, you have to tie the roof rafters to the top plates of your studs.  My house has the old Celitex board on the outside walls instead of foam board.  Bugs love Celitex because its made of corn products, no insulation or sound proofing value of any kind.  I can go on.  You know, you're a carpenter.  You just finished a house to was built to the old standards of the day and look at the upgrading you had to do to bring it up to code, or near code.

Speaking of hot, car thermometer read 99 deg F when we went to town while ago.

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »
That house was a bad example for code. It was more a bad example of a do-it-yourselfer who just cobbled together whatever they found. Then over the years more built on just the same. No permits, so no inspections to make sure it was built to whatever current code. Just some dude with spare time and half a brain.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 04:19:22 PM »
Yeah, this house was full of half ass stuff I slowly had to fix myself.  The guy I bought it from worked for Dupont, back then before they were bought out.  He apparently has unlimited access to all kinds of silicon caulk from there.  Every thing here was patched up with it!  Still find it on things around here, even on the damn roof, 14 years later!
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2018, 11:10:44 PM »
We bought the boy a new bed set. He needed to start sleeping in a big boy bed. Took me two days to assemble the pile of Chinese garbage... Hell, I could have built it all from scratch easier. Uhhg. And it was damn expensive too...
I don't physically fit on the bed, nor do the instructions allow me. (235 lbs 200lbs limit)
He hated it at first, slowing warming up. He's going to find himself sleeping in it in the morning. Lol.

Yes, his bed has a slide...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2018, 07:04:40 AM »
Cool!

Mom fits in it just fine. ::)

Whose going to sleep in it more...
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2018, 08:42:21 AM »
No one, unless we can get the boy used to sleeping in his own bed again. But last night was encouraging. We spent an hour in there before bed watching a movie, fell asleep in our bed, I moved him over, and he woke up there, climbed down on his own without crying and Ashlee found him sitting in our door-way. Lol. Not sure why he didn't make it the rest of the way. Haha.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2018, 12:03:43 PM »
Mama might have to lay with him until he goes to sleep a few times.  Shame he doesn't have a big sister to help out.  That's how our son got out of our room at the same age.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2018, 12:47:36 AM »
So, I seem to have jumped into an air gunning hobby with both feet and both arms...

It's created quite a bit of machining projects lately.
That's what the hardening thread was all about.
The current project was a Crosman .22 co2 pistol.
Really super versitile pistol, and has available modification kits coming out the wazoo.
I first added a silencer cause it was pretty noisy. I won't go into detail about that...
Then the past few days I've added an adjustment system for the hammer that impacts the co2 valve. The pistol has a tendency to waste quite a bit of gas upon firing. It can be heard as the hammer bounces off the valve pin spring.
The idea is to add a stop point for the hammer. Once the trigger is pulledz the hammer spring propels the hammer into the valve pin, the retention spring in the valve pushes the hammer back and it rebounds hitting the valve pin several more times wasting gas. It can be seen as a vapor cloud coming out of the muzzle.

So, I took care of this in two ways. First, I made a spring tension adjustment screw, then after more research realized I need to physically stop the hammer, not just adjust the spring tension.

So I created a stop. I annealed the hammer, tapped a 10-24 hole, threaded a small .190" rod for 10-24 on one end and 6-32 on the other. Re-hardened the hammer, thread locked the 10-24 threaded rod in. drilled a clearance hole in the brass adjustment screw and put on two 6-32 jam nuts on the end. This allows me to adjust the spring tension and at the same time create a stop for the hammer. The sweet spot would be enough tension to impact the valve pin, opening the valve, then the hammer hitting the stop losing all of its kanetic energy and coming to a stop.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:51:45 AM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2018, 12:48:04 AM »
More

I'll trim the excess screw off once I find the sweet spot.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »
I haven't updated this in a while. We've mostly been doing odd jobs, nothing really to write home about... But I wrote home today about this one. I really like this one.

A living room fireplace wall, and eating area sidebar cabinet setup.

I made a all metal firebox for the electric fireplace. This fireplace is neat tho. It creates a vapor mist of water that floats up with lights shining and gives a fairly realistic look of fire. I'll add a link to my bosses Instagram page where he installed one in his house as a tester.

The mantle is a 5x14 solid walnut beam. Constructed with post and beam style mortice and tennon joinery. No nails or screws or glue. All held together with joinery. And it's solid! I used led puck lights in the bottom of the mantle. Used a forstner bit to bore a hole then strategically drilled 3/8 holes through the bore and from the back or the mantle on two angles to pull the wire out through back of the mantle. The puck lights sit flush with the surface of the wood. You cannot see them at all unless you are right underneath.

The cabinets were ordered, I made the walnut table tops. The shiplap above is not complete yet, just need to trim it out.

The kitchen cabinets were ordered. I made the floating shelves. All walnut and I custom sprayed the wood with a cherry tinted lacquer and black for the burnt edge pattern on the table tops and shelves, then cleared. I welded up a beefy bracket that slots into the back of the floating shelves and they are bolted to the studs in the wall. Very strong. 
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

firestopper

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »
Shawn,

You sure do nice work man. That home looks fantastic.
Turn and Burn,
Paco

34_40

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 01:42:15 PM »
times 2, just beautiful.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

bl00

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »
Those flames are cool.  They look like real flames, but slowed down about 20 percent

Carpenter84

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
Just water vapor!

Thanks a bunch guys.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Machinists Gazette