Author Topic: Projects.  (Read 3534 times)

chips and more

Re: Projects.
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2019, 11:16:35 AM »
Sorry again Shawn. Canít help with the ID of the plastic you have. I have the same problem. I do keep my Delrin separate and identified. And I got a truck load of all one kind of plastic. Donít know what it is but have used it for years now and have learned its behavior. I like it a lot and use it instead of metal on a lot of my projects. The other plastics I have are just ďmysteryĒ plastics. And I should just toss the stuff, I donít use it, I donít know what it is and I have that truck load of the other plastic. I do know if you light a small piece of Delrin it will smell like formaldehyde or something like that. Delrin is good stuff, I use it a lot for making bearings, believe it or notÖDave

pep

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2019, 03:19:02 PM »
The only reason I was asking about the plastic was just for a potential smoother motion.... However...

I think partially why I didnt scrap this whole thing and start over was because we're both carpenters. We both have a variety of hobbies. This units use can be made flexible...

You have my brain wondering now... Maybe do away with the self tracking idler wheel, make it solid. Because I'm designing this thing around the platen, I have not worked in how it's mounted yet. I'm beginning to become interested in the idea to flip the whole works on its side for a horizontal edge sander option. Weld on some more metal for removable work tables on the flat side and round idler wheel. Giving the option to edge sand and contour.... Hmmmm.

Since the whole back side of the platen is now not being used or covered with a belt, I have that whole area to work out a swivel plate with locking pins. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Off the rails we go ...Not referring to the material you are planning to use. When I say plastic on a sander I'm talking these .. a picture here is worth a 1k words

Carpenter84

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »
Hahahaha. Ya, I'm not building one of those.
I have an older delta belt/disc. It's not horrible...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »
Alright. We are back at the Hillcroft house... And the stinky onion went from having stinky layers to just all out rotten in the middle.

The previous reno undermined the original foundation. No footings on this old House. This is the basement bathroom we were planning to dig out. We will have to dig it up in sections, underpin the foundation, and probably bench it.

The main foyer at the bottom of the stairs is built on dirt - no cement pad. This means the adjacent corner will be the same. All undermined.

So, what happened here was someone previous added an addition off the back of the house. They smashed a section of the old foundation wall out to open up to the new basement. They lowered the floor at the bottom of the stairs because the original house would have been a shallow basement, likely with a dirt floor.
They poured a new cement floor in the new section and benched the undermined foundation, but for for some reason didn't do anything to the original basement side of the hallway.

So, we will be opening up the other wall as well, underpinning it, and pouring a new floor...

I won't even get into the ridiculous plumbing atrocities right now...
This crap makes me sick...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2019, 06:02:01 PM »
They need to find the original contractor who built that house,  hang him by his balls, and give him a beating of his life.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »
Apparently Canadian Tire tried to sue him for some kind of unpaid something's. Apparently theyve been going after him for years.

There's nothing the homeowner can do. He's tried title insurance, they won't pay. They're not there to protect the home owner.
He's going to try home owners insurance, but it's unlikely theres any coverage. There is no protection in Ontario from bad contractors. That's what Mike Holmes has spent his career trying to change. The only protection you have is in a fraud case, in which, it's still up to you to sue the contractor. With no guarantee.
At the end of the day, the homeowner is out on their ass. With the largest investment most everybody will ever make, there is zero protection.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:24:06 PM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2019, 11:38:49 PM »
Back to the grinder.

I'm making the back idler wheel from a short chunk of 5" x 1/2" wall aluminum pipe. I cut a plug for the end from 1/2" aluminum plate. Welded it into the pipe once I had everything turned down to fit. I can only stick weld aluminum. It's not pretty, as stick welding aluminum is quite ugly, but it came out half decent. The giant piles of weld are from previous attempts to tig weld with an aluminum electrode. Basically braze. It didn't work. My welder doesn't have high frequency start.

Turned down the weld and faced the plug. It's very porous, but it's stuck together good and solid.
I'll do the same to the other side. Then I will bore a bearing hole on each side.

I took a short video of me facing off the weld for Marc, I may as well share it here too. Why not? https://youtu.be/vaZyMDD3Y1c
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2019, 11:45:48 PM »
If you notice the last photo of the porosity, my facing has ripples. It seems when I power feed my cross slide, it rocks back and forth and leaves ripples like that. Doesn't do it when I hand feed. Strange. My lathe has a clutch as well as half nuts. I power feed with the clutch and thread with the half nuts. When I engage the clutch the lathe works harder. I assume there is some tightness somewhere, and causes the cross slide to rock.
Actually, it only started doing it when I took my cross slide off a few weeks ago to give it a good clean. Cleaned out the lead screw, installed new button Oilers, and carved in some oil grooves in the ways. There may be play in the gib, but the cross slide is comfortably snug... Meh. It doesn't bother me much. If I want to avoid it I hand feed.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.