Author Topic: Brian's 5 cylinder radial  (Read 2255 times)

pep

Re: Brian's 5 cylinder radial
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 09:33:38 AM »
That is so cool I can hardly look at it ...

Damn NICE !

Pep

woodchucker

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 10:59:19 AM »
Can't wait for you to start this puppy up.
I  hope you will fly it someday.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

brian

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 05:28:14 AM »
Just a line to let you know the material for  the front end case //crank// oil pump has arrived.
work is under way!!

Brian.

brian

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 09:26:46 AM »
Moving on the forward bulkhead is nearly done it contains the inner crankshaft bearing and the annular  part of the inlet manifold.

Next and final part of the casing is the nose piece that houses the outer crank bearing.

Brian.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »
 Brian, that is amazing work.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

kvt85

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
That is great work.  Wish I could do something that nice.
Keep up the good work.
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

savarin

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
 !AOK WOW !AOK

pep

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 07:07:59 AM »
The closer it gets to completion, I'm thinking the quicker it feels like it goes.

The front of the crank shaft, is the eccentric appearance an optical illusion?

That is one cool build, for the short time I have been watching. You make great progress, do not remember exactly when I started following.

Think it was when the crank case was being machined.
No matter it seems like a while back, and also a short time back seeing it today.
 :bravo_2:

Pep

brian

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 09:57:47 AM »
Hi Pep  the part of the crank you can see is the rear extension  that is driven by the main crank from the overhung big end journal.
Yes it has an eccentric that drives the oil pumps. Full marks for observation, Nice to see someone is on the ball.

Brian.

Carpenter84

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 11:14:53 AM »
How much work is it gonna be to get all valve timing exact with those belts...? I suppose the belts takes the engineering out of having to make a cam shaft of sorts, but seems like it would be a very tedious process with the belts. No?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

brian

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »
Hi Shawn

A very good question. first to answer this we must understand exactly what is happening during the four stroke cycle  so I have taken the
liberty of attaching a chapter from my book on building the 32x40 engine.  I would also recommend looking at video  No 6 that explanes how the cam shafts are made.
To understand how to time this engine we only need to  relate to one cylinder as the other 4 are simply repetition.
Each cylinder has it's own camshaft and the top drive pulley is attached to the camshaft by pinch screws and a end nut, when these are slack the shaft can move freely .
Now we have to determine the overlap position of the cam  this we can do by turning the cam with the pinch screws slack and watching the cam followers  and see the point when the inlet opens and the exhaust closes this is the overlap position.  Then turn the engine until the piston is at top dead center and lock up the pinch screws and end nut.  it takes only a few minutes to do this.  Repeat on the other 4 cylinders.   

I hope this helps feel free to come back to me  if not.

Brian.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:57:17 PM by brian »

Carpenter84

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »
Oooh, I got a "that's a very good question"! Take that, Pep! Haha.

Thanks for the explanation Brian. I'm amazed with this engine. I can't wait to see it run. There's been many steps of this project where I've been afraid! Many of those parts have many many processes, with each step further into the part the pucker factor keeps going up!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

brian

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »
 The last part of the casing, now its on to make the crankshaft.

Brian.

PJB

Brian's 5 cylinder radial
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
One question Ive always had with respect to radial engines like these is what happens if for whatever reason one or more cylinder isnít actually firing?  Will it start and run on 4 while the 5th goes up and down for the ride puking raw fuel out the exhaust?  I suppose its no different than any other engine but for some reason I always associate radials with being cantankerous sputtering gizmos.   Im likely brainwashed from movies where the good guys being pursued trying desperately to escape via plane if only the damn thing would fire up!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:12:30 PM by PJB »
I want what yooz gots

brian

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »
Arrived in the post today.    Just could not resist it for 10 euro  free delivery.

Brian.