Author Topic: My 9" South Bend lathe crash-Well Kind of  (Read 232 times)

4GSR

My 9" South Bend lathe crash-Well Kind of
« on: August 19, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »
As I mentioned in a previous thread on Bambam's 13" South Bend lathe, my 9" SBL crashed on me.

The counter shaft seized up on me while I was on the final cut on Nez's cross feed screw.  Had to shut down and start tearing into things to see what happen.  Took a BFH and brass drift to get the shaft to move.  Removed the belt so I could get the counter shaft assembly out from behind the lathe.  Once out, removed the motor, and continued to drive out the shaft.  Got it all apart. Appears the felt in the babbit bearings is dried out and hard.  This prevented oil from getting to all of the bearing.  New felt will be cut and installed.  The damaged shaft, I put up in the lathe. (Nice to have a larger lathe in your shop for this kind of repair) and knocked off the burrs with a file and polished the OD to get it nice again.  Also, center drilled the end and put a nice chamfer for the next time it has to be driven out.  Have every thing ready to put back together tonight.

bl00

Re: My 9" South Bend lathe crash-Well Kind of
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 04:43:36 PM »
I'm going to have to show this post to my wife.  She doesn't believe me when I tell her I need two of everything.

4GSR

Re: My 9" South Bend lathe crash-Well Kind of
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 05:08:51 PM »
My wife gave up on me a long time ago.  Especially when she saw the old family homestead. ;D

She just rolls her eyes and says "where are you going to put that?"  And as long she can get to the washer/dryer it's okay.  Oh, and the steel shavings, that gets touchy! Especially when she gets one in her foot!  No going bare foot in our house!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:11:56 PM by 4GSR »
Ken

4GSR

Re: My 9" South Bend lathe crash-Well Kind of
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 07:53:31 PM »
Here's a picture of the counter shaft all put back together with new felt and a 1/2 HP DC motor in place of the 1/4 HP motor.  Remember, South Bend lathe never put anything bigger than a 1/4 HP motor on the 9" Workshop lathe when they were sold back then.

My son lifted it into place for me.  All I have to do now is connect the wires and belt and it will be ready to go!

Ken
Ken

chips and more

Re: My 9" South Bend lathe crash-Well Kind of
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 09:45:58 PM »
Loooooking good Ken. You are the perfect man for that fix it job! Pat yourself on the back! Not to many fix it people like you around anymore…Dave

And I like your Craftsman fine tooth ratchet! IMHO one of the finest ratchets ever made. I have several sets of the same.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:50:10 PM by chips and more »

4GSR

Re: My 9" South Bend lathe crash-Well Kind of
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 09:53:57 PM »
.........................................And I like your Craftsman fine tooth ratchet! IMHO one of the finest ratchets ever made. I have several sets of the same.

I bought it with two others in a tool set from Sears back in 1980.  That little ratchet has been used lots over the years, mainly in the machine tool repair of my toys.  Still holding up strong!  Thanks, Ken
Ken

Bamban

Re: My 9" South Bend lathe crash-Well Kind of
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:24:40 PM »
My wife's CTS was parked in the garage since new. When I had to kick it out to make room for my SBL 13, I thought I would be sleeping in the garage. She took it well, I still don't what that move cost me in the long run. I already replaced all her kitchen appliances. I am sure that's not the end.
USAF 1972-1978
Distinguished Rifleman Badge 1234
P100
High Master XC, LR

4GSR

Re: My 9" South Bend lathe crash-Well Kind of
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
She's back running again.  Here's some pictures of the poly groove pulleys on this lathe.  Mike asked me if I would post some pictures of them.  My dad converted these cone pulleys to running on a poly-groove belt way back around 1966.  This is the third or fourth belt I've put on this lathe since the conversion.  Really needs a belt replacement, but to do the replacement, the spindle has to be pulled.  I see doing this in the near future. Along with replacing the oil wicks in the wells on each spindle journal.