Author Topic: Sheldon lathe taper attachment lead screw  (Read 231 times)

Thunderdog

Sheldon lathe taper attachment lead screw
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:41:08 AM »
I'm fairly certain that 4GSR may know some answers because I've printed the drawing of his leadscrew dimensions for his Sheldon.  My Sheldon uses a 1/2" lead screw so that makes things limited for keyways/threading/etc. If you know please feel free to chime in.

At another site I began gathering up information on making a lead screw for the Sheldon taper attachment I picked up many months ago.  The only thing I did not acquire was the lead screw.
So, I've been making the parts.  Things got put on hold for a variety of reasons.
To expedite the process I went ahead and purchased an acme threaded rod.  I also purchased a gear rod that matches perfectly for the gear section.  I'm stuck/hesitant to proceed for the following reason.  Does the crossfeed screw section get a blind keyway or through keyway? If blind, we're talking just a tad over 4" in length.  Not fun. :-[  If a through keyway is cut there are some issues at the handle side of things.  For starters, the keyway will be cut into some id threads to hold the handle in place.  Also, there is an o.d. key cut for a sleeve which fits the graduated dial.
I'll try to attach some pics of what I'm talking about.

The last pic is the only reference I've found on the internet.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:48:43 AM by Thunderdog »

4GSR

Re: Sheldon lathe taper attachment lead screw
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »
I don't remember.  I know it's a blind hole.  Let me think a little on this one and get back with you.

Maybe one of the others can shed some light on this, too.

Ken
Ken

Thunderdog

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:22:49 PM »
No problem.  Here is an idea that I came up with.  Make it in two pieces and connect it with a pin.  The "gear" piece could easily be keyed with a broach.  The "handle" side could easily be turned.  It is then pinned together.

4GSR

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 02:37:43 PM »
That's what I was thinking of. 

That's the way it is done on my Rockwell lathe, too.
Ken

Thunderdog

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »
Just an update.

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »
Hey, you got it!  Looks good.

Ken
Ken