Author Topic: Planers - What are they *still* better at?  (Read 404 times)

SCLead

Planers - What are they *still* better at?
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
I got talking to a coworker today, and the topic of planers came up. He's been around long enough to have used them, while I'm young enough to have never even seen one in person. He and I have a nearly hilariously different approach to most machine work issues that pop up, inevitably leaving one of us saying "huh, never would've thought of that." Anyway, I'm familiar with the concept of shapers and their basic capability/purpose, but have been wondering for a long while: what are they still better at? Lots of folks own them for home shop use, some shops even still utilize them. Are they functionally superior (if maybe less versatile) than other more modern options? Or is their use and ownership mostly driven by nostalgia/historic interest, and/or low cost of entry compared to a modern machine with comparable capabilities?

4GSR

Re: Planers - What are they *still* better at?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:11:05 PM »
The only thing I've seen them being used for in my time was machine tool rebuilding.  Never been around plant where they still use them for production work.  I used to have a very small one that had a 6 foot stroke.  Went looking for it ten years ago, found out it went to machinery heaven.  Remelted into Chinese widgets!

Oh, my first trip to China 14 years ago, Saw a exact duplicate of a Cincinnati Hypro planer over there.  Pictures were forbidden in that plant or I would have taken a few of it.
Ken

mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 04:59:30 AM »
We have one of these in the shop at work....   a little big for home use though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4tSjtVEJmo

4GSR

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 07:15:18 AM »
Tool changing is a little slow. :o
Ken

j.a.f.e.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 04:16:32 PM »
... Oh, my first trip to China 14 years ago, Saw a exact duplicate of a Cincinnati Hypro planer over there.  Pictures were forbidden in that plant or I would have taken a few of it.

A bit ironic they forbid pix of crap they copy. Better
before I cross a line.

4GSR

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 04:55:42 PM »
Yeah, there were a few Chinese girls checking us out in the grinding department. Look like a bunch of Norton cylindrical grinders in that shop, too.  Oh yeah, they were copies too. ;)
Ken