Author Topic: La Bodega AKA Fallout shelter  (Read 4904 times)

firestopper

Re: La Bodega AKA Fallout shelter
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »
Very nice Paco, well done, any thing need reworking/changing after the initial installation.
Hi Derrick,
The only thing that comes to mind are the original Decora rocker light switches. They only offer them upto 20 amp or maybe 15 amp.Either way, bay's 2 and 3 are running five light fixtures pulling close to 20 Amps each. (18.5 amps) resulting in slight heating and distortion to the point where they would hang up and not work smoothly. I replace ALL 3-way with commercial toggle switches rated at 25 amp.
Turn and Burn,
Paco

firestopper

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2018, 03:42:26 PM »
Yes, super nice what you have there.  In my next life, I will have a nice building like yours!

Oh, I did get around to installing one of "Home & Shop" versions of the Rapid-Air systems in my shop.  Did a little modifications to my hookups.  Very happy with it.  I'll have to start a new thread on mine.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Ken
  Hi Ken,
Thanks, yes Rapid Air makes nice stuff. Agreed, the more threads we post up the the more we feed this machine.
Turn and Burn,
Paco

f350ca

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2018, 04:30:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing Paco. Great shop, have to say you keep it cleaner than I do my house.lol Wish I had the drive to do the same.
When you put together a building the way you did with that much fore thought you save a lot of time in the long run.
Just checked Google maps, would only be a 37 hour drive to stop by for coffee and a tour.

Greg

firestopper

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing Paco. Great shop, have to say you keep it cleaner than I do my house.lol Wish I had the drive to do the same.
When you put together a building the way you did with that much fore thought you save a lot of time in the long run.
Just checked Google maps, would only be a 37 hour drive to stop by for coffee and a tour.

Greg
[/quote

Hi Greg,
Thanks for stopping by. Keeping it clean can be tasking at times but with the classic Rock cranking away, its doable. You know Darrick asked me about changes. One thing does come to mind after thinking on it further. I have a hunch after I acquire a diesel coach perhaps the doors should have been 12'wide and 14" tall. :-\
Now 37 hours doesn't sound so bad, but I would have to throw some steaks on the grill amigo. I'm still planning on a Northern tour so one never knows.

Turn and Burn,
Paco

woodchucker

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »
The outside of the building have Reb lighting LED over each door. The South and East sides have 5" seamless gutters to control the runoff during heavy rain.

That bring this shop construction thread to an end. A lot of detailed where not mentioned but if theres any questions about the build, fire away.

Thanks for looking.

Nice lighting the REB .. did you do alot of LED inside?  20 amp draw per bay, sounds like you need LED over whatever you are running?   
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

firestopper

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »
Nice lighting the REB .. did you do alot of LED inside?  20 amp draw per bay, sounds like you need LED over whatever you are running?   
[/quote]Hi Jeff,

Hi Jeff,
The REB LED's cost a pretty penny at the time, but I splurged anyhow. As far as LED for the shop, they where  simply too much coin back then. I will replace some shop fixtures as the price drops. The High-bay T-5 use six tubes per fixture creating 35K lumens per fixture and theres 18 fixtures. Plenty bright but the meter spins a bit fast. With each bay on its own circuit, I keep the lights off when not working that bay. Usually bay 2 and 3 for most fab/machine work. Bay 4 only when working on a rig and bay 1 has windows in the garage doors and only require the lights for evening work.
LED's would cut my electric considerably, just have to wait for them to come down some more. There's a price for shadow free lighting :-\
Turn and Burn,
Paco

RayH

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »
Great thread Paco.

I would like to upgrade the insulation in my shop and can learn from your experience.
I'd like some detail about the insulation related products.

Can you share a picture of the insulation product label?
I wasn't familiar with the term "scrim" so Googled and find roll goods in various thicknesses (.006-.020).
The info I read talks about woven products. Is your woven (breathable) or non-breathable?
Is yours a roll product? What thickness? Manufacture & any other details.
Please post a picture of the clip and wire rod installation. Rod diameter? Clip part number? Rod to Rod spacing?

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you should be flattered because I'd like to imitate that insulation install.

Much appreciated.
Ray

firestopper

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
Good morning Ray,

I will see if I can provides some links.
The insulation used was a product called EcoBatt. Its un-faced and 10" thick.
http://www.ecobatt.us/eco_batt.html

The Scrim Facing was WMP-VR and comes in rolls. It trims very easily with a razor knife.
http://cabotcomponents.com/Insulation_Facings.html

The clips (wire) pound in and come in various sizes for the to accommodate the thinner Z perils and the thicker structures.
https://www.rexelusa.com/usr/Root-Category/Fittings/Clips%2C-Clamps%2C-Hangers/Beam%2C-Purlin/Hammer-On-Flange-Clips/Erico-Caddy-4H24-Flange-Clip%2C-Type-Hammer-On%2C-Fits-1-8-to-1-4%22-Flange/p/20763?prevPageNumber=0
These clips are 16" OC. The wire used was your standard bailing wire laced in. The coils where taped using duct tape in a way that allows the wire to play out from the center. The whole coil is left hanging as you.

I'm not sure your location so do some research for the best batt/scrim to use. Here in the SW desert, it made sense. In the winter, we get down to the low 30's, the shop remains in the low to mid 40's. A propane salamander type heater warms the entire 3200sf area in 20 min. So long as I don't open a garage door. By 10 am its nice outside and the sweatshirt comes off. The Summer months can be brutal with 110-115. This is where the insulation really comes through for me. At those temps with zero humidity, the 12K cfm single speed double wet section drops the inside temp by an average of 30. An opening must be provided for the swamp to work properly but this keeps the air fresh. I failed to show, but I did install two 2'x10' ridge vents that are chain operated. These are opened when I generate smoke from heavy welding or machining or want to keep the doors closed and the swamp running.
I hope this helps Ray.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:13:33 AM by firestopper »
Turn and Burn,
Paco

firestopper

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2018, 10:11:50 AM »
I found some photos confirming the performance of Swampzill. The hand held weather station is normally used for long rang precision shooting, but it provided the data I was looking for.
On this particular day and time, the outside temp was only 106. I have noticed the hotter it gets the better the condition are inside so long as the humidity remains low.
The outside conditions where 106 with 9.4% RH.
The inside temperature at the duct (15' away) read 73.4
The weather instrument indicated 74.7 and 49.5% RH  with a steady breeze of 5.5 mph. Incidentally the cfm at each register is very close. The scheduling/sizing is as good as it gets in 74'.
Again, no rusting issues noted to machines or raw metal stock.

Some shots of the evaporative cooler (Swampzilla).
The two wet sections have 8" thick media with independent floats and pumps. Each wet section holds close to 2.5 gallons of water. Both wet sections have two overflow/drains. I have modified the drains closes to the front of the unit with 3/4" plastic 1/4 turn ball valves for easy dumping. Heres times where I don't use the shop for 3-5 days and the standing water will get mosquitos (monsoon season). I turn off the inside supply to swamp and open the two valves. Refill and back in business. Prior to this modification, I had to open the front to access the drains. This required too much time. The rear overflow/drains still provide overflow protection.

Turn and Burn,
Paco

RayH

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2018, 10:21:20 AM »
Perfect. Thanks Paco, for the materials info..
Ray

firestopper

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »
Any time Ray.
Turn and Burn,
Paco

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »