Author Topic: 6" Craftsman jointer rebuild  (Read 446 times)

Jake Parker

6" Craftsman jointer rebuild
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »
I was given a 6" jointer that was left to die behind a cabinet shop.
The bearings were growling, so they retired it insted of repairing it.

f350ca

Re: 6" Craftsman jointer rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:50:03 PM »
Had one that looked just like that but didn't think it was a Craftsman. Good jointer but a bear to get the knives set dead level to the fixed out feed table.

Greg

Jake Parker

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »
I had to build a temporary cradle to hold the bed, and support the bearing while I pressed the shaft out. This process took about 2 weeks. It would move a little, then sieze up. I just excercised a little patients, and a lot of penetrating oil (a 50/50 solution of automatic transmision fluid and acetone).
I sandblasted the head, the blade holders, and some of the infeed supports last weekend.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:53:11 PM by Jake Parker »

Jake Parker

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »
This morning I sandblasted and painted the bed and infeedtable.

Jake Parker

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 03:57:16 PM »
Greg, Im rebuilding it to flip it, so the blades will be someone elses problem!
I have a man whos definantly interested. He use to do concrete work, and it so happens I need a 14'x18' slab poured for "shop extension #1" so I may be doing some bartering.

f350ca

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 04:16:46 PM »
Was probably 30 years ago, but I recall trading mine too. Then traded a 6 inch General for the shell of a fiberglass travel trailer.

Greg

chips and more

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »
Nice restore! I had one of those a long time ago. Itís OK but you need to be aware that adjusting everything is needed if you really want "flat" wood. Smooth is not a problem, but flat is. The in and out tables MUST be on the same plane and NO ramping. The out table and cutter MUST be lined up. The in feed table MUST keep alignment even if re-adjusted for thickness of cut. For me it was not as easy as I thought to properly adjust that jointer. I though what the hell itís just for wood. Well, if you start to do fine detailed wood projects and your wood is not perfectly flat, you will quickly find out with frustration. I sold it and bought a 8Ē Delta jointer. Itís OK for now, but in IMHO not the cats meow either. It has straight blade knifes. Maybe if I change that cutter head to a spiral cutter head ;)ÖDave
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:30:00 PM by chips and more »

f350ca

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 07:41:33 PM »
I've never used one of the spiral head planers, guess there's less tear out, but Im cheap and can grind a planer blade a lot of times vs replacing all the inserts.
Built a dedicated grinder for doing the thickness planer as well as jointer knives,

Greg

Jake Parker

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
I have never done cold bluing before, but thought the cutter head would be a great guinea pig.
It lookd  really dark untill I put it next to the gloss black paint of the bed.
I chased/cleaned all the holes and bolts, then tapped it all together with some new bearings. This is where I ended tonight.

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »
looking fantastic Jake !!!! 👌  😎

i have the same one, fortunately for me all i had to do was remove some very light rust.
it gave me an excuse to operate the biax scraper for a few hours.
i didn't scrape it to any better precision than .002", but i figured it would be close enough for woodwork 🙂
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:44:13 PM by Ulma Doctor »
9 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON