Author Topic: Start of Shop - kind of....  (Read 785 times)

KevinL

Start of Shop - kind of....
« on: August 27, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
Well the start of my shop to be kind of.  My little town that has adopted big city bylaws that will not allow for a pole barn to be built unless it's on a commercial lot. I purchased a 50x 130 lot so hopefully next year I can get my retirement shop started. 

I currently have my half of the garage for my shop.  I'm lucky that I have access to any type of machine tool at work but that will end someday. 

Looking at putting up a 36x56 building. Property goes I foot North of city grader shed. 

4GSR

Re: Start of Shop - kind of....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:17:32 PM »
Boy!  Don't that just eat you up over city rules/regulations. 

Looks like a nice piece of property you have there.

Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »
That makes no sense. Pole construction is stronger than stick.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

firestopper

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:33:20 AM »
I'm sure you've looked into a variance. If not, then see if its possible. I never understood/appreciate the over the top rules and regulations that make zero sense. HOA's are the absolute worse when compared to city/count ordnance.  I hope you find a solution for you retirement build. Its important to have a purpose after retirement. Keep us posted.
Turn and Burn,
Paco

chips and more

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
In the last town I lived in. A detached non livable building bigger than 1000 sq/ft was a commercial building and not a garage space. If youíre in a residential zone, then canít do commercial. Thankfully, I donít live in that town anymoreÖDave

firestopper

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »
I got lucky,
In the county I live, your allowed  to build unto 75% of your existing structure (home) and living on horse property with NO HOA's it worked for me.
I did have some set back restrictions which did not apply to my situation. The permits where expensive and my property tax went up 48% :'(.
But in a good month I can cover that. Your always under the "Mans" thumb........crooks. ::)
Turn and Burn,
Paco

DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »
It was recommended that we called our shop an RV garage as it made things easier dealing with the county. It is just an extra wide and long RV garage. Even with the mezzanine in the back you can still get a 40' x 13-1/2' tall RV in it.

firestopper

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 06:25:36 PM »
Excellant pint.
Turn and Burn,
Paco

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 06:25:36 PM »