Author Topic: Hot  (Read 1623 times)

dlane

Hot
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:19:43 PM »
To dam HOT to do much in the shop, Iím outa there by 10:00 am. Donít want the expense of another
A/c going and a swamp cooler wouldnít be good.
Derrick

pep

• Born FREE hyped to death
Re: Hot
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »
My shop is on the west side of my home, the afternoon sun will heat things up a bit. But frankly I get busy in there, don't get bothered by it.

So focused on what's happening and just keep pushing, can't say I've stop cause of the heat . On the other hand yard work will cause me pause, misery at its finest.

Pep

DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 08:25:42 PM »
I was in the shop about 2pm and the digital readout said it was 81 degrees inside. I was just out there and it says 87 degrees inside and it is 90 outside. The humidity is a high 18%. The angle of the sun is hitting the top 8' of the wall while the lower 8' is shaded by the house. The attic fan is going full blast. The house is a comfortable 72 degrees.

dlane

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »
Iím not sure where your located PEP, but nowadays anything over 90* I retreat to the a/c, we are predicted low 100 s for a couple weeks  :(
Derrick

pep

• Born FREE hyped to death
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:06 AM »
 attic fan.....  we have one a great invention, We can use ours form Spring too late June. From July - Oct at night if the temps get below 80, we flip it on, love the fresh air great sleeping

I was in the shop about 2pm and the digital readout said it was 81 degrees inside. I was just out there and it says 87 degrees inside and it is 90 outside. The humidity is a high 18%. The angle of the sun is hitting the top 8' of the wall while the lower 8' is shaded by the house. The attic fan is going full blast. The house is a comfortable 72 degrees.

Woodstock GA, hot is hot we see high 90 - 100 not unusual July - early Oct.  However at night the temp can swing 30*, where as one cannot ride a bike in a T shirt.

predicted low 100 s !
This is the weather man correct? 

So if they remain as consistent as predicting the rain fall. You all could be in for a cool spell...  ;-)

Cheers,
Pep

Iím not sure where your located PEP, but nowadays anything over 90* I retreat to the a/c, we are predicted low 100 s for a couple weeks  :(

dlane

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
ďAttic fanĒ  so do they push hot air out of the attic thru a wall or the gable end ? . Or do they mount in the ceiling pushing hot air into the attic ? .  Shop is a boat deep two car garage. No insulation in attic yet,
Thanks
Derrick

grumpygator

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
Down here in Florida we call 'em "Whole House Fans".
Set to blow hot air out of attic and suck the air out of the house. Just open the window in the room your in and get instant breze.
      **G**

DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 11:00:11 AM »
My attic fan above the shop is mounted over the gable vent on one end. It is on a thermostat so that it comes on and shuts off automatically. The peak of the roof is 8' above the ceiling joists so that is a lot of cubic feet of dead air to get hot. The shop is stick built 30' x 55' with a 16' ceiling and well insulated.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 08:12:00 PM »
I kinda feel sorry for you guys. It only hit 74 for a high today, and it's down to 67 already.

Yes, the Minnesota Northwoods is a great place to be in July!
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

highland512

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 10:57:59 AM »
I kinda feel sorry for you guys. It only hit 74 for a high today, and it's down to 67 already.

Yes, the Minnesota Northwoods is a great place to be in July!

Please post in this thread again in 6 months  ;D ;D

The last time I was in MN I was driving out of ND with a blizzard chasing me....Guys behind us got stuck and stranded in MN for days.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »
Gladly!! I regularly get right up in this neck of the woods (no pun intended) for work each winter.

I will gladly take the cold over the heat anytime.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Uncle Buck

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 07:44:09 PM »
Gladly!! I regularly get right up in this neck of the woods (no pun intended) for work each winter.

I will gladly take the cold over the heat anytime.

ME TOO! I hate the summer, give winter and a foot of snow at zero degrees any day over this hot shit!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 04:48:33 AM »
Here's my logic......   Ya can only take so many clothes off before it becomes "Indecent Exposure"......  but you can add layers....

And the In-Laws are tying to get me to move to Vegas to take over the company in the next 5 years or so.........  ??? :o ??? :o

highland512

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 08:07:18 AM »
I enjoy the cold as well as long as I can stay out of the wind. The 6 years I spent in Louisiana where some of the worst, its so hot down there even the crime rate drops in the heat of the day!!

The problem I have with working in the shop in the winter is no heat, it got so cold last winter I was having issues with the slides on my tool box and some of my ratchets where sticking.

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 08:16:28 AM »
Oh man... I hate winter. Can't stand it. Mind, we don't have 100 deg summers. However, they've been getting hotter and hotter as years go on. We've had several days with a high of 95 with humid ex of 105. But I'll still take that over winter and snow....
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.