Author Topic: Hot  (Read 1624 times)

pep

• Born FREE hyped to death
Re: Hot
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 08:13:40 AM »
So hot hot is it.......? 

It's sooooo hot: I saw a fire hydrant chasing a pack of dogs...

Sorry  Summer is the winner here.

Pep

slip knot

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 10:54:05 AM »
I'll take hot weather any day over that cold crap.  I can work around the heat, taking a break in the mid afternoon helps. When it gets really cold here, like 40F or so I freeze, noting I do can make it warm enough to be comfortable working out in it.  The humidity year around is what hurts. 104f aint too bad 104 and 90% humidity sucks. same in winter, calm 40f aint bad,40f north wind blowing 20mph and 80% humidity and its miserable.

We get snow @ every 10yrs or so. the whole town just shuts down. 2 in snow will close schools for 3 days. :o

Bring on summertime.

4GSR

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 11:42:30 AM »
Hehe,  I like that "summer" up there :P
Ken

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
Hahahahaha. 2" of snow.

I remember reading an article last year of a southern city "bracing" for snow in the forecast. It was like watching a hurricane coming. Don't get me wrong, I'm not acting all high and mighty. Things that are unusual, are just that - Unusual. We had a foot of snow on the ground with another 8" coming at that point. That previous day on the way to work I was having fun fishtailing around corners in my truck - traction control switched off.

Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
So hot hot is it.......? 

It's sooooo hot: I saw a fire hydrant chasing a pack of dogs...

Sorry  Summer is the winner here.

Pep

Oh my YES to Summer!!!!!! ;)
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

PJB

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
I may regret the 20' x 32' basement shop when the time comes to move but in the mean time it's purdy darn nice down here all year long.  68-70 deg constant and no humidity.   No rust on the machines and I'm comfy and can work any time of day or night even if only for 5 minutes.   Trade off is welding is limited to TIG and the initial PITA of getting the machines down.   
Probably the best thing I ever did (besides marrying my bride in case she reads this) that enabled this option was to put a concrete stairwell access from the garage down to basement. 
A 1 ton HF gantry facilitated getting a BP, Tormach 1100, Lathe, Surface grinder, saw etc down solo without help.   Reverse process will blow but for now it rocks!
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

DeadNutz

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »
Slipknot, you are welcome to come to beautiful Nevada. A good time of year to visit is in the winter and the temps shouldn't get much lower than 8-10 below zero. Right now it is 91 degrees with 19% humidity.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 08:58:25 AM »
I will admit that I don't care for it either when it's -25 F and I'm trying to get an excavator running, but 90 F with 90% humidity just about pushes me over the brink.

I've got family in western Colorado, and I can honestly say that visiting them is always a treat. It can be 100 + but with no humidity it isn't bad at all. You just have to remember to drink plenty of water. I might have to think about retiring there, summers are not too bad and winters are not nearly as cold as here in Minnesnowta.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

NRC57

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 09:44:01 PM »
I'll take hot weather any day over that cold crap.  I can work around the heat, taking a break in the mid afternoon helps. When it gets really cold here, like 40F or so I freeze, noting I do can make it warm enough to be comfortable working out in it.  The humidity year around is what hurts. 104f aint too bad 104 and 90% humidity sucks. same in winter, calm 40f aint bad,40f north wind blowing 20mph and 80% humidity and its miserable.

We get snow @ every 10yrs or so. the whole town just shuts down. 2 in snow will close schools for 3 days. :o

Bring on summertime.

You must be living around Atlanta.
Nelson

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 09:50:41 PM »
i'm not a heat lover. if it never got over 85F again i'd be happy
today was 105F  :'(
9 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

Uncle Buck

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
I enjoy the cold as well as long as I can stay out of the wind. The 6 years I spent in Louisiana where some of the worst, its so hot down there even the crime rate drops in the heat of the day!!

The problem I have with working in the shop in the winter is no heat, it got so cold last winter I was having issues with the slides on my tool box and some of my ratchets where sticking.

I use a torpedo heater with K-1 in the winter, it works great!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

Uncle Buck

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:00 PM »
i'm not a heat lover. if it never got over 85F again i'd be happy
today was 105F  :'(

AMEN to that!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

dlane

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »
Predicting 106 today I and have a appointment in town at 3:00, Ill have to get out in that crap   :(

Derrick

DeadNutz

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 06:13:26 PM »
We were supposed to hit 100 today. But we are getting smoked out by the fire near Yosemite in CA and visibility is just over a mile. So the current temp is 96 with 10% humidity.

dlane

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
Ya the smoke here has been terrible from several fires lately , my eyes have been burning when Im outside, but the smoke at least keeps the temperature down a few degrees.
Derrick