Author Topic: Hot  (Read 1621 times)

woodchucker

Re: Hot
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
you guys in the west are getting hammered. I hope you get some relief.  A 1/2 of rain in a slow rain would help the fires and knock down the heat.

We got hammered with Rain this week and yesterday, that I would like to send your way.. humidity was high, and heat was 90.. I have been drenched dealing with the surface grinder, right now it's in the garage.

At least it's not fire, deadly heat , or flooding.

Seems like the country keeps getting hit by all of the above over and over lately.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

dlane

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »
Hawaii, Porto Rico ,Australia, west USA are burning up , Iím sure other places are too.
 Weíre turning into hell on this planet. And colder than a witches tit in winter.
You think pulling out all the planets coolent helps (oil) , heat and cooling could be coming from the inside out.  What u think ,sorry Ken  8).
Derrick

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »
Things are definitely changing.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 10:13:48 AM »
And faster and faster too.
Notice how many floods lately?
Fires?

Notice how many species are going extinct right now? Or are on the verge? Not from predators, just because their env is going away, or becoming to inhospitable, or disease that is related to another change in the env that allows that disease to take grow.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

DeadNutz

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 10:15:45 AM »
We have unhealthy air quality this morning thanks to the fires in CA. Everything is covered in fine ash this morning and the nearest fire is well over 100 miles away. One of the benefits of NV being downwind of CA.
Climates do change but man has little effect on that.

Jake Parker

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2018, 09:24:27 PM »
I dont mind the heat as long as I have a stack of dry shirts.
But here lately anything south of 60-65* is jacket weather.

chips and more

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 01:00:43 PM »
Derrick, I hope you are not in any of fire going on in Northern calif. Iím not, BUT for me the smoke its causing is horrendous in the Bay AreaÖDave
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:32:31 PM by chips and more »

dlane

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
Dave Iím not in the fire (yet) thereís still a couple months left of fire season Iím told.

I figured the smoke wasnít as bad down there, itís horrible here I am headed to Morgan hill tomorrow
Itís been so smoky here the trees are loosing their leaves and plants are budding out thinking itís fall.
The fools that start these fires on purpose should be shot between the eyes, wait thatís to easy on them, maybe public stoning to death after there fingers are cut off. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:44:50 PM by dlane »
Derrick

dlane

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »
Itís been so hot here the tweeker copper thieves are putting the copper back in the ac units :D
Derrick

Bamban

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »
I have a portable AC unit that is capable of maintaining 79 degrees in the blistering TX summer heat in the fully insulated garage. The way I use it now, I slightly prop the garage door open and slide the AC exhaust duct through the opening.

Here are some questions. If I were to build an elevated platform in one of the non useable area in the garage and sit the AC unit on it and dump the exhaust into the attic, will that work? Is there some obscure building code that says you can't dump warm to hot air in the attic? As far as functionality, I suppose it might serve the garage better by pushing and circulating the warmer air as the ceiling interface. Should I add a ceiling fan to series aid the output discharge of the AC unit, since the louvers will only be blowing at the ceiling level?

Thank you.
USAF 1972-1978
Distinguished Rifleman Badge 1234
P100
High Master XC, LR

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 03:03:57 PM »
I don't know about Texas, but I know here dumping any kind of exhaust into the attic is heavily frowned upon. In the summer it's not a huge concern, but in the winter, introducing any heat or moisture into the attic is a sure recipe for mold growth.

It will depend on how the roof of your garage was built, if there is adequate ventilation up there. You always want equal amount of air allowed in at the eves as can escape through the vents near the peak. That will ensure a proper flow from the eves up and out the peak. Introducing more air may disrupt that flow, cause turbulence, making the vents inefficient. If there is moisture present it could condensate on a surface causing mold. (no idea what the mold situation is like in Texas.) Really basing this on my knowledge, common sense, and our building codes here in Ontario.

Practice here is if it can be exhausted outside, it's best to do so. Often easily done with a dryer exhaust vent.

Just my two cents.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Matt_T

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
I think the hose on those portable units is a combination intake and exhaust for the condenser. If it is sucking in hot attic air won't be good for performance and might even nuke the unit.

ddickey

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
Not intake I'm pretty sure. I used one for a few months earlier this summer. Do you have the attachment for a window? If so get some 2x3's and set your garage door down onto them with a space for your exhaust. That's how I did it and it worked pretty good. Try to get straight boards if you do try it.

4GSR

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »
I'm on my third one in my garage.  The hose is strictly exhaust air.  My brother has his vented into the attic. But he also has a vent on the roof to help with the exhaust air, too.

Ken
Ken

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »
I would stay away from venting into the attic if possible. Going up through the attic and then out through the roof by way of a dedicated exhaust vent stack would be entirely different.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!