Author Topic: Conservative county  (Read 2027 times)

gtermini

Re: Conservative county
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2018, 04:21:00 PM »
Thankfully Oregon voted it in the state constitution years ago to cap property tax increases at 3% a year maximum. Hose prices here have exploded lately, but taxes stay reasonable unless a city or county has passed every bond conceivable. I'm surprised other states haven't followed suit.

Greyson

PJB

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
Ya.  Donít get me all wrong Iím good paying taxes for the necessities of society like schools police etc.  but come on man its to a point of ridiculousness.   10 yrs I retire and some other sucker hopefully will take my seat in this money pit.    If im lucky.
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

grumpygator

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2018, 04:52:07 PM »
Did they forget that this country was started by a bunch of Tax Resistors?
 What the mid term elections need is a "None of the Above" box on every ballot.
  **G**

groundhog

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2018, 05:31:10 PM »
37% INCREASE?!?!?!?!    HOLY COW!   That's crazy!  . . . three bedroom house in town on an average sized lot, valued at about $225,000. My real estate taxes are $1,900 a year. I cannot imagine paying $13,500 or more per year.

Man, that HURTS!!
I'm in Kansas with a house that is worth about 1/2 of that - but my property taxes are about the same. I can hardly afford that on social security (got burned on my company retirement). If they raised taxes like that I would have to give up my house.

woodchucker

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2018, 09:06:29 PM »
Thankfully Oregon voted it in the state constitution years ago to cap property tax increases at 3% a year maximum. Hose prices here have exploded lately, but taxes stay reasonable unless a city or county has passed every bond conceivable. I'm surprised other states haven't followed suit.

Greyson
NJ did too. they capped it but you could get exceptions. Which of course everyone does. And there's no teeth behind the law, so most towns just ignore it.
NJ makes boss hog of the Dukes of Hazzard look like a law abiding guy.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

jpigg55

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2018, 09:06:49 AM »

Greyson

Unfortunately, I'm an Illinois resident as well.
What they're proposing isn't an increase in property tax, but an additional tax based on property tax.
I believe Illinois has a tax increase cap as well, this is how they plan on getting around that by calling it a new tax. Illinois also has a "Homestead Act" which locks property tax once the age of the resident is met. This would also bypass that allowing them to place the tax on the elderly.
One thing I'm not sure on is how this would affect agricultural property tax as it's based on a 3 year rolling average of the potential earnings value of the land based on grain prices and ground type.
And all mostly due to F%#@! (excuse my French) Shitcago !!! Hey Michigan or Wisconsin, you want Chicago ? We'll gladly give it to you.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

woodchucker

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »
ahhh yes the Robin Hood process.
Same here in NJ. Newark , Camden, Irvington, Trenton get tons of money dumped into them for schools. They get most of our taxes to correct for the issues. Has it fixed anything. No.. It has wound up being that the boards of ed steal the money , and that nothing changes.  The reason is, it all starts with family, and the better families support their kids and family. But the rest run wild and you can't fix it, unless THEY improve themselves. You can't improve it,  just like a addict can't be pushed into resolving it.  The problem is they affect the people that ARE trying to lift themselves up.  it's a vicious cycle that can't be fixed politically, or by taxes.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

Jake Parker

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »
Born free..............taxed to death.

kvt85

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2018, 01:08:40 PM »
No the way they get around it here (SA TX) is they just up the value of what they say your house and land are worth.   That way they did not exceed the amount that they raised the taxes.  but the amount you pay.   Even though you could never get what they say your house is worth from it.
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

woodchucker

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »
No the way they get around it here (SA TX) is they just up the value of what they say your house and land are worth.   That way they did not exceed the amount that they raised the taxes.  but the amount you pay.   Even though you could never get what they say your house is worth from it.

Been there... had to fight the last assessment, as the shop was labeled a rec room.  I argued its insulated, but not living space.. They really wanted the money, so they gave me a little off.. You can't win with these people. 
Jeff

PJB

« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2018, 02:32:31 PM »
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

kvt85

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »
Yea,  somebody messed up on us
 now they have already started in on what they can do to mess with the President. 
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill