Author Topic: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild  (Read 617 times)

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
Re: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »
Question. The gib side...
The gib is terrible. A pretzel... How difficult would it be to machine the compound to accept a tapered gib?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 06:52:22 AM »
Don't try it!  Keep it straight for now. 

Once you have mastered scraping and fitting slide members, then try your luck at it.
It's not easy to make tapered gibs without making fixtures to hold while machining to shape.
I've made a few over the years and had to make a few fixtures to cut the tapers and angles to get it close.
Then you have to scrape and fit for proper fit.

Get you a piece of 1018 cold rolled strip to make a new one from.  Don't use brass, cast iron is okay, too.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 07:18:40 AM »
Lol. You yell at me a lot, ken.

I picture this when I wind up posting something questionable... Which I'm sure is like 25% of my posts.

The following are also acceptable.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:21:36 AM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
Shawn,

I'm sorry, I get carried away. My grown kids call me Mr. Drill Sergent, I don't know why?  What can I say.  Just trying to help Shawn.

I promise to leave you alone for a while.

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »
I'm just poking you, ken. It's funny to me. I'm glad for the help, believe me!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »
Go to this thread and down load the stuff and read thru it.  Even though it pertains to power scraping, it applies to hand scraping, too. 

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/machine-reconditioning-scraping-and-inspection/biax-scraper-instruction-manual-circa-1961-a-352931/

There's also lots of good information on scraping in this forum, too, that  can be of help.

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 11:21:43 AM »
I've been watching all Stefen gotteswinter's videos on scraping and the few compound rebuilds he did. He did a Schaublin lathe compound where he scraped it true, and a Chinese lathe compound where he just milled and ground the surfaces. That's the video I watched this morning and asked about the tapered gib.
For my compound this time, I will likely grind everything true, then once I'm happy with the fit up, I will put it back together. I have a chunk of cast iron i plan to shape into a short straight edge next. I will scrape that surface flat.
That will give me the practice. I'd like to try to scrape it with the dovetail angle on it too.

I think I'm going to just grind my compound instead of scraping it to not overload myself. Try one method and get that to work, then if successful I will practice the scraping to scrape the cross slide then later the carriage and ways.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 07:27:52 AM »
Ehhhhhhh I think I've changed my mind. I'm gonna try to scrape it. I'm on my way to the metal shop right now to find a suitable flat bar to make a scraper handle.

Ken, what are you using for hi-spot blue? And are you doing the yellow too?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 09:51:19 AM »
Currently, I'm using the stuff from Drapa, Candu something.  I use the blue for high spots and the yellow for the highlighter.  The blue goes on your known "good" piece or surface plate or straight edge, and the yellow goes on the part that will get scraped.  The yellow just needs to be a light layer, just enough to give it a faint yellow color to the surface.  Any more than that, it blends into the blue and you get green! 
For you, the Dikem Prussian blue is probably available easily for you.  The first time or two you use it, everything in your shop turns blue.  Your hands have it for days on end.  Don't matter what you do to clean, there's still resudiul blue left behind.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 10:01:24 AM »
Ya I was hoping to avoid the Prussian blue (oil based, I assume) and go with the non-blue-your-whole-world spotting blue.

I was just asking what you use/suggest and possibly where you get it so I can try and get something to my door.

I'll look for the candu stuff.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
I bet Dapra will ship it to your door step.  Just have to ask.  In fact, they may have a distributor in Canada.  They do have a $50 minimum order with them.  At least they do here in the States.  I don't know of any one else off hand that sells it.  Web search and see if anyone else comes up.  They do sell the radius gage that will make the order over $50 if interested.  Or you could by a new Biax power scraper, too!

https://www.dapra.com/biax/scrapers/accessories.htm

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:07:46 AM by 4GSR »
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »
I was just looking at dapra. They have everything. I need to contact someone tho. They have nothing available online. Google searches only ever come up with American stuff that's either not available to Canada, have minimum order amounts, or outrageous shipping. The last site I looked  at had 1.5 oz bottles of blue for $6, cept it was $95 to UPS it to my door... eBay and Amazon have been of little help... I hate trying to find stuff available in Canada.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 01:14:59 AM »
Well, an update to keep the thread moving. Lots of junk posted previously to help me figure out what the heck I'm doing!
I'm becoming more comfortable with scraping and have a reasonable understanding what I need to do to get what I want.

I have scraped the flats of the compound. Next is the dovetails.

I THINK I should start with the top half dovetails. Scrape them parallel to the edges of the top slide and all square then match the bottom half to it.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 07:45:12 AM »
Scrape the non-gib side first.

Probably do the male dovetail first, the compound base and mate the slide top to that.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 08:08:48 AM »
Why?

On the base I have no parallel surface to indicate from to check each dove angle to see how straight they are.
I figured if I started with the top I am able to grind the sides flat and parallel then use the surface guage to indicate the dove and go from there. I realise id only be doing the one non gib side...
Otherwise, aside from using a mic and a pair of dowel pins, which I will still have to do, I'd like to be able to stand something up and figure out a way to indicate.
The sides of the base are rough castings, or the circle base gets in the way.

The more I think about this the more I see the flaws... I just feel without being able to use the surface have I leave myself a lot of room for error.
I will gladly accept better ideas or criticism.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.